'Spruit Whatsapp Group

sadamhussein

I've started a Whastsapp Group for 'Spruit regulars.

The idea is to get connected with the guys who love the Spruit as much as I do, and co-ordinate things like:

• group rides - hooking up with the guys who regularly ride on weekday afternoons.

• crime alerts - staying up to date on any "hijacking hotspots" or incidents.

• trail builds - there are a few spots that need maintenance from time to time, and it would be nice if we added a few "north shore" type bridges or obstacles

• night rides - riding at night on the spruit is fun! and since the sun sets so early in winter it's kinda unavoidable anyway (stopping along the way for a beer adds to the fun)

so, if you're keen, PM me your number and I'll add you, or alternatively follow the instructions on this flyer.

*EDIT*

since i posted this, lots of people have asked to get added - the response was overwhelming! yet a lot of people left the group again after an hour or two.

before asking to get added, consider this:

• this is a chat group so expect your phone to beep more than usual, if you don't like this, use the group-mute function on whatsapp. it works.
  • due to the nature of the sport, most of the people on the group are men, so expect the occasional swear word and sexy-girl picture.

on the flip side:

• keep the conversation/content topical
  • every time you write something, 50 people on the other end pick up to check their phones, so if the conversation evolves to a personal conversation between you and another person, be considerate and take it off-group
  • try not to use crude language and no nude pics. lets keep it clean.

lastly, this group is there to serve as a notice board to inform people of events, if you start drifting off-topic or start to complain about this and that, people leave the group and the concept fails. simple.

if the above is not acceptable, don't ask to get added because believe it or not, it's a mission to add someone who's going to leave after 45 minutes again.

thanks for the support!

this has exceeded all expectations so far!

post-32176-0-43935800-1400572765_thumb.jpg

Edited by sadamhussein

I am from JHb lived there 30 years (was never a mtb or cyclist) moved to cape town 8 years ago. I ride mainly MTB now and would love to know where the "Spruit" trails are? IS it safe? Can i go alone? My folks live near village walk so can i hop on the trails near Delta park. ANy maps/info will be nice to hear.

The spruit runs all the way from Alberts farm up in northcliff, trough Jhb botanicals and emerentia dam, through delta park, behind the big pick n pay on William Bicol, through river club and bryanston to rivonia basically. Real name is the braamfontein spruit u will see on google maps.

I am from JHb lived there 30 years (was never a mtb or cyclist) moved to cape town 8 years ago. I ride mainly MTB now and would love to know where the "Spruit" trails are? IS it safe? Can i go alone? My folks live near village walk so can i hop on the trails near Delta park. ANy maps/info will be nice to hear.

yes it's safe, but if you're not convinced, join the whatsapp group - you can then join in on the next ride. that way you'll see where to go as well.