Can we save Karbonkelberg?

Bicyclegear

I am not talking about keeping mountain bikers safe from gun-pointing, knife wielding tik addicts. I am talking about how rutted the trail has become on Karbonkelberg.

A few months ago you could ride the majority of the trail up and then certainly downhill all the way. Today I went up and there are sections totally washed away, leaving gaping holes.

I would love to start a "kickstarter" project to employ guys under SANParks to build a proper trail there. "Hike and Bike" up from Rocket Road with a downhill into the Hout Bay Harbour precinct.

Here is a video clip I made of the ride a few months back, when it was more rideable...

Not many know these trails are open to ride. I've seen a strava segment and thats how i know about, never tried it and would really like to do it...

So the question i want to ask is, is it legal to ride?

Not many know these trails are open to ride. I've seen a strava segment and thats how i know about, never tried it and would really like to do it...

So the question i want to ask is, is it legal to ride?

If you checkout the strava "heatmaps", you can see how many people are using the trail. I don't see why it is not legal. There is no signage saying otherwise. I have been riding it for years...

I believe in getting more people onto the trails to help establish riding in Hout Bay. It will make things safer and trails will get recognition and in turn could be maintained either with funding from private or public.

Although at the moment it is a bit of a slog up and down due to the bad sate of the trail.