Cape Argus refuse to tell my 73yr old father his race time.

thebrewster

My father has completed a total of 12 Cape Argus Cycle tours. This year however, he sadly did not make the 7 hour cut-off time. Not unsurprising considering he'd just his second knee replacement a few months prior to the race and decided to take it "slow", despite the titanium improvements.

The problem is that the Cape Argus have still not released his results???

Upon querying this with the event organisers, their response was: "The rules for this event clearly state that each participant has 7 hours to complete the event in order to receive an official result" Which seems rather ludicrous considering they also call it "The World's Largest Timed Cycle Race".

Understandably rules are rules but to not even acknowledge his race time seems a little unfair?

It's now the 22nd of May and the last we've heard from the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust is the following: "They are having an on-going discussion and I will inform you of their decision" and so I thought I should post this here before it gets lost in the obscure bureaucratic process which this lovely cycle race seems to have become.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously, they really should give out his time for crying out loud.

what a load of rubbish

Edited by mon-goose

Which part of the organisers response "The rules for this event clearly state that each participant has 7 hours to complete the event in order to receive an official result" you didn't understand?

Which part of the organisers response "The rules for this event clearly state that each participant has 7 hours to complete the event in order to receive an official result" you didn't understand?

he's not asking for an official result if I understand it correctly. He doesn't want a certificate or a placing etc. He simply would like to know his time. Giving out the time is not breaking the rules surely.

I don't see the problem as the rules are quite clear. You father knows he rode the distance.

A few years ago, my friends and I decided to stop at a few too many pubs along the way. It was all going well until we were stopped at the top of Chapman's for about 20 minutes due to congestion caused by placing a water point right at the top. My ability was insufficient to make up the required time and I missed the cut-off by 11 seconds.

As far as the race organisers are concerned it was as if I did not finish.

My father has completed a total of 12 Cape Argus Cycle tours. This year however, he sadly did not make the 7 hour cut-off time. Not unsurprising considering he'd just his second knee replacement a few months prior to the race and decided to take it "slow", despite the titanium improvements.

The problem is that the Cape Argus have still not released his results???

Upon querying this with the event organisers, their response was: "The rules for this event clearly state that each participant has 7 hours to complete the event in order to receive an official result" Which seems rather ludicrous considering they also call it "The World's Largest Timed Cycle Race".

Understandably rules are rules but to not even acknowledge his race time seems a little unfair?

It's now the 22nd of May and the last we've heard from the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust is the following: "They are having an on-going discussion and I will inform you of their decision" and so I thought I should post this here before it gets lost in the obscure bureaucratic process which this lovely cycle race seems to have become.

well done to your pops, i hope one day at that age i could do it with my girls,BUT I THINK YOU ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION

he's not asking for an official result if I understand it correctly. He doesn't want a certificate or a placing etc. He simply would like to know his time. Giving out the time is not breaking the rules surely.

It is possible that their systems would stop timing after an individual's 7 hour limit has been exceeded.

If there is a 7hr Cut Off I would think the organisers would shut off their timing system at the 7hr Gun? After all they only have so many hours to compile 35000 results before people start screaming they are dragging their feet... and credit to them the results are always out for the next mornings paper.

If you Finish the Comrades marathon in 12:00.01secs you will not be timed and will NOT be on any results or finisher's stats so why would Argus/94.7 do any different.

Kudus to your Dad for deciding to not pull off and still finish the race after the cut off had gone :thumbup: , however you cannot hold the race ransom to put him on the results and give him an official time if he didn't make the mandatory well advertised Cut off.

As emotional as the situation may be too you, Rules are rules and sometimes cruel, which you would understand if you saw Team Garwood get pulled off the ironman course this year for missing the Bike cut off after 3800m swim and 180km cycle.

Rules are their to protect the race AND the individual.

It is possible that their systems would stop timing after an individual's 7 hour limit has been exceeded.

then why don't they just say so that if that's the case

Edited by mon-goose

Why don't you see if the result is on the Racetec website?

Or contact Racetec and ask them if they can tell you the time.

dude... although I see where you are coming from, I'm sure at the age of 73 your race time is no longer the most important thing in your life.

I would have shared your sentiment if he did the race and cut him off with 200m to go or something stupid, but they let him finish and i'm sure he knows his time.

All races have cut-offs and all races have rules. I think its great for your old man to keep on riding and keep on training, but remember... Its about the ride, not about the stopwatch.

then why don't they just that if that's the case

Fully agree. I tend to find these type of organisers very dismissive after the event.

Very good achievement by your dad. :clap:

I can guess that after 7 hours, the personnel and machines doing the timing, are probably switched off, packed away (machines) and go home (people).

I'd love to still keep cycling competitively at that age.

Good luck with your endeavour.