The Munga MTB Race

MrFine

500 miles on a road bike and 500 miles on a MTB are worlds apart, and let's not forget it's a team event.

Indeed. For some reason I thought the 508 was off-road. So no, not the same at all...

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about about the hub gets a sponsored entry from the organisers - which can then go to a deserving party (i.e. me). They are getting some pretty decent publicity here, time to pay it forward

You do realise that this is on a mountain bike. For 1000kms? Not like that 24hr we did back in 2006 in Malmesbury where you can stop and chill and have some coffee when it starts getting tough (or as you said - boring)?

Here's what we do. We ask for Hubber volunteers. We hold trials (maybe riding for 48 hours non-stop) and the winning team gets the entry. We then get a kitty fund going to scrape together R100000 entry fee. Who's in!!?

Count me in for a 48 hour ride.

Here's what we do. We ask for Hubber volunteers. We hold trials (maybe riding for 48 hours non-stop) and the winning team gets the entry. We then get a kitty fund going to scrape together R100000 entry fee. Who's in!!?

I think that's a brilliant concept for the epic...this is just too silly.

Epic entry is~R100k

Sell 100 tickets at R1.5k each.

have a qualifier race at a)W. cape b)E.Cape C)KZN D gauteng in 2nd half of year.

top 2 pairs from each race then get a paid for entry at some early season feb stage race ie. tankwa trek,(out of the remaining 50k)

best pair out of the 8 then gets the epic entry....and races as HUBmonsters or something like that.

You do realise that this is on a mountain bike. For 1000kms? Not like that 24hr we did back in 2006 in Malmesbury where you can stop and chill and have some coffee when it starts getting tough (or as you said - boring)?

So, Dane, what you up to round then?

Reckon we could get a sponsor for this?

I think 2 to 2 and a half days is possible, depending on the riders entering. Sure - the team thing will make it tough, but the right combination could do well.

The winning distance at 2013 WEMBO World 24hr MTB champs was 456kms with over 10 000m of climbing. All on single track.

At the 36One Jean Biermans did 361kms in 14h15 (over 5000m of climbing). All on district roads.

I think 1000kms is still short enough to avoid the worries of major sleep deprivation (FC and RAAM style), and also short enough that you can go hard for two days and recover at the finish (for the winners, not us normal people).

Throw in a million bucks and all this goes out the window. Strongest mind wins.

Is that a proposal? ;)

I don't have a good track record trying to convince other people to give me their money, but should there happen to be such a person reading this, I'm always up for doing crazy stupid things on bicycles...

And I'll need dual susser - my ability and desire to ride a hardtail in endurance events is running out.

Just a further word on what is 'possible' in the real world compared to a keyboard warrior speculation....

Coming from the Freedom Challenge perspective which has similarities with this race, but is wildly different in many that count.

One of the fundi's put together a hypothetical best ever FC time. This was like a sub 10second 100m type record, with the best athletes and a perfect weather window with no mechanicals. This caused quite a debate, and most of those in the know poo pooed his suggestion as ridiculously optimistic. This included most of the guys who had won the race (or came close to dying trying). Within 4 years it was smashed.

Throw the massive prize money in the mix and it becomes one big experiment that no one can predict because this has not been tried before. With limited route knowledge...all we can do is speculate wildly(it's a lot of fun).

don't you have a 'qualifier' to ride first soon?

Is that a proposal? ;)

I don't have a good track record trying to convince other people to give me their money, but should there happen to be such a person reading this, I'm always up for doing crazy stupid things on bicycles...

And I'll need dual susser - my ability and desire to ride a hardtail in endurance events is running out.

Yes, that was a proposal

Yes, that was a proposal

Going to test the waters tonight at home with this idea - I'll get back to you shortly. ;)

I think I said bloody boring as all hell. You forget I am an IRONMAN a spot of knobbly tyred riding is a piece of cake, will tackle it on my 26'er, are aerobars legal?

Going to test the waters tonight at home with this idea - I'll get back to you shortly. ;)

This is going to be good, really good.

Be quiet triathlon boy. Here is a video for you:

What a skillfully executed braking maneuver...and so considerate of him to pull off to one side to stop. :devil: