MTB 29er tyres (mid-range, value for money, All Mountain)

ByronH

Hi All

I recently got a 29er with a Racing Ralph on the front and a Crossmark on the back (seems like a pretty standard set-up).

The tyres seem worn, and I am really battling with which tyres i should replace these with... From the research I have done, it seems most 29er tyres have significant weaknesses (punctures, bad in the wet, heavy, poor sidewalls, high wear), especially in the price range I am looking at (R450 - R600 per tyre).

I ride a variety of terrain, XC, trails etc.

I was thinking of replacing both tyres with Rocket Rons, but these have got significantly poor reviews. The Racing Ralph doesnt seem to have a great deal of traction (am i wrong?). UST Crossmark's seem to wear well and are reviewed favourably, but are apparently not great in the wet, and are heavy.

What about Maxxis Ardent's? What you think about those? I know they are also a little heavy at 800g, but if push comes to shove, I would rather have a slightly heavier tyre which is durable and trustworthy on the trail.

Or would you recommend I keep the set-up the way it is? Both tyres are running tubeless.

Sugaro Geaxx.

grips like a like a cat to your arm when you bath it. lasts forever.

looks cool as well with grey side wall (if you can get the white ones in 29er you are my hero)

Sugaro Geaxx.

grips like a like a cat to your arm when you bath it. lasts forever.

looks cool as well with grey side wall (if you can get the white ones in 29er you are my hero)

Ha... interesting suggestion. I saw them for sale but are always a little weary of brands I am not aware of, but game to try them out if they prove themselves well!

Thanks

Ha... interesting suggestion. I saw them for sale but are always a little weary of brands I am not aware of, but game to try them out if they prove themselves well!

Thanks

and go for the more expensive tnt ones. trust me.

I have Ikon front and back. Not to heavy and my rear tire done 4000km and I think I can get another 500km out of it. About 300km was done on tar. Puncture protection is very good. The grip in the wet might be a problem.

At circa R450 a tyre, you simply cannot beat specialized 29er tyres.

Depending on the terrain, of course, I would recommend a fast track (control) in 2.1 or 2.2 at the rear and a ground control 2.3 at the front.

Just rode S2C with these tyres and they didn't even flinch.

Avoid the s-works tyres, as they have flimsy sidewalls (allegedly).

At circa R450 a tyre, you simply cannot beat specialized 29er tyres.

Depending on the terrain, of course, I would recommend a fast track (control) in 2.1 or 2.2 at the rear and a ground control 2.3 at the front.

Just rode S2C with these tyres and they didn't even flinch.

Avoid the s-works tyres, as they have flimsy sidewalls (allegedly).

Nonky, where do you buy your Specialized tyres?

Nonky, where do you buy your Specialized tyres?

I bought the fast track tyre at that fancy specialized store in Melrose Arch, Jhb...which means the tyre may be cheaper elsewhere. The ground control came with the bike.

If I recall correctly, ALL the tyres were R450 or thereabouts - even the s-works.

However, they were out of stock of the fast track 2.1.

You can also try Compete Cycles in Bryanston - very pleasant and helpful guys, good range and good prices. They are next to the Land Rover dealership.

CWC has crossmark on special now for R450, Great tyre.

I'm riding with Geax Segaro and they last forever but grip is a little issue.

Previous tyre i had was Shwalbe rocket ron and racing Ralph combo, lots of grip but didn't last that long.

I have Ikon front and back. Not to heavy and my rear tire done 4000km and I think I can get another 500km out of it. About 300km was done on tar. Puncture protection is very good. The grip in the wet might be a problem.
I also run Ikons front and back. Does well on all surfaces. Dit the Gravel Travel mud race the other day and I was very impressed. They are light, but also gives very good kilos

Geaxx Segaro , I had Maxxis Ikon which are good but Geaxx are bulletproof and last forever