Road and MTB chain compatibility...?!

Tiny K

Hey Hubbers, I have a problem I am hoping someone (with adequate knowledge) could help me out with;

I have a Sram Force groupset, with the 1071 Hollowpin chain (which decided to break twice on me during a ride today) but needs replacing.

A buddy suggested I get a Shimano chain, which I did, and the bike shop sold me a CN-HG95 Chain.

Now I know generally speaking, Shimano and Sram are interchangeable, BUT, if I research the HG95, it is specifically mentioned that it has been optimised for MTB use (but nowhere does it day it won't work on a Road bike...).

Does anyone have a final answer for me (in terms of experience)?!

The HG95 chain is a uni-directional chain designed to be used with the Dyna-Sys Shimano system. I have seen on a few sites that they say it is not for road use, but they are more shop type sites, rather than definitively explained sites. The difference is in the unidirectional aspect of the chain, as well as the supposed asymmetry of the chain.

Whether this would affect performance, I can't really say.

Examples:

http://www.bikebug.c...in-p-29288.html

http://www.bikeradar...4364&p=18686610

Edited by TopFuel

The HG95 chain is a uni-directional chain designed to be used with the Dyna-Sys Shimano system. I have seen on a few sites that they say it is not for road use, but they are more shop type sites, rather than definitively explained sites. The difference is in the unidirectional aspect of the chain, as well as the supposed asymmetry of the chain.

Whether this would affect performance, I can't really say.

Examples:

http://www.bikebug.c...in-p-29288.html

http://www.bikeradar...4364&p=18686610

Exactly my problem. Although they say 'for optimised for Dyna Sys', there is no indication as to whether it would work fine on a road bike setup... GRRRR! LOL! ;)

Most of the Shimano road chains are uni directional as well. The word "optimised" covers a lot of ground. It will work fine (maybe not as light, different side plates or whatever). The Shimano uni directional chains are only "optimal" with the later Shimano cassettes. I run a 105 5600 cassette with a 5700 chain. this is not optimal according to Shimano but it performs the same as a 5600 chain with that cassette. A 5700 cassette with the 5700 chain (facing the right direction) is claimed to improve upward shifting however with an older cassette they work like an "older" chain. As you run a Sram cassette the chain pin width is the critical factor, so if it is 10 speed it will be ok. If it really bothers you get the bike shop to swap it out for a road one.

Most of the Shimano road chains are uni directional as well. The word "optimised" covers a lot of ground. It will work fine (maybe not as light, different side plates or whatever). The Shimano uni directional chains are only "optimal" with the later Shimano cassettes. I run a 105 5600 cassette with a 5700 chain. this is not optimal according to Shimano but it performs the same as a 5600 chain with that cassette. A 5700 cassette with the 5700 chain (facing the right direction) is claimed to improve upward shifting however with an older cassette they work like an "older" chain. As you run a Sram cassette the chain pin width is the critical factor, so if it is 10 speed it will be ok. If it really bothers you get the bike shop to swap it out for a road one.

Thanks for the detailed explanation - I'll give the shop a call tomorrow and see what they say ????????

A chain is a chain as long as the speed (width) is the same it will work. :whistling:

a few things to keep in mind.

1) Use a good quality chain tool (such as Shimano's own TL-CN23). Breaking and setting a Shimano 10Sp link requires a fair amount of force. A cheap/small tool can make getting the alignment more difficult, and if the tools pin is not perfectly flush, or pushing at a slight angle you risk elongating the link hole slightly as you push the pin through.

2) ALWAYS resize the chain from the side that terminates with an inner link. This way when you join the chain you are pushing the connecting pin through an outer link that hasn't previously had a pin through it.

3) When joining the chain, always join so the connecting pin is leading the link in the direction of chain travel. So if you are joining the chain along the lower length of chain on the bike you will have the inner link in your left hand, and outer link in your right hand as they meet.

4) Shimano 10sp chains are asymmetrical, and should be installed so the chain writing faces outwards towards you as you install the chain. It doesn't matter which way up or down the writing faces (if you look along the chain you will see it changes anyway). In anycase the step above will dictate this.

5) The pin should be inserted to be slightly recessed, below flush. As you insert the pin it will feel easy and then very hard as you continue to push. The pin is in far enough when the link stops becoming stiff and there is no binding. A common error is the pin not being inserted far enough, and then excess flex being applied to the link to 'loosen' it. This weakens the link.

Edited by Spoke101

As for experience. I once apon a time ran Campagnolo Shifers and Derailleurs, FSA Crank and Chain Rings, Sram Cassette and a Shimano Chain. This being said I was a student ^_^

But the point is it all worked just fine.

• 3 years later...

Reviving a old thread. Will a 10 speed Sram MTB chain work on a Campagnolo 10 speed road cassette? 

Hey Hubbers, I have a problem I am hoping someone (with adequate knowledge) could help me out with;

I have a Sram Force groupset, with the 1071 Hollowpin chain (which decided to break twice on me during a ride today) but needs replacing.

A buddy suggested I get a Shimano chain, which I did, and the bike shop sold me a CN-HG95 Chain.

Now I know generally speaking, Shimano and Sram are interchangeable, BUT, if I research the HG95, it is specifically mentioned that it has been optimised for MTB use (but nowhere does it day it won't work on a Road bike...).

Does anyone have a final answer for me (in terms of experience)?!

a chain is a chain is a chain...

different manufacturers will try keep you buying their product exclusively.

Dont get speeds mixed up though.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

Reviving a old thread. Will a 10 speed Sram MTB chain work on a Campagnolo 10 speed road cassette? 

As far as I have heard the campy groups use a narrower chain than the SRAM and Shimano stuff...

Shimano and Sram 10s may be too wide to be exactly as smooth.

I know for example that a KMC X11SL I bought was a bit too narrow to work on the XTR m9000 rear derailleur due to the links not fitting over the teeth on the upper derailleur pulley. I had to fit a Shimano 11s chain to fit.

Incidently on the box of the KMC chain it said "For campagnolo 11s" and I ignored it... The same chain now runs on my Shimano kitted roadbike.

Edited by s14phoenix

Don't see why not - it may not shift as well, or as quietly, but it should work.

It should. It definitely isn't as narrow though. So take the chain off your mtb and just test it to see.

It should. It definitely isn't as narrow though. So take the chain off your mtb and just test it to see.

Thanks. My situation is as follows:

Doing the IM 70.3 next weekend, and my dad gave me a really good set of wheels for my roadbike, but they have a Campagnolo freebody. I have Shimano Ultegra 10spd groupset on my roadbike. 

Serviced my bike yesterday, and my chain needs to be replaced and I already have a new 10spd Sram mtb chain in my spares box. Guess it would be easier to replace the freebody and use the Sram chain.