Does your mtb bike travel IN your car?

boristheblade

I did this for many years, load it in the back seat upside down. It works with a road bike so it will work with a 29er.

However the long term damage to your car and the bike far outweighs the costs of a rack. I had to get all sorts of covers and things and managed to scratch the paint plus get grease all over the place from the cluster.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only feel comfy with it inside the car.

There were times where I had to fit my bike into a Polo Hatch.

I even did multiple trips with 2 bikes inside, bags and 2 people in that polo.

post-24697-0-20561300-1401112407_thumb.jpg

Now I live in luxuary and drive one of the most complete vehicles currently available. I can fit 3 bikes, 3 people and DH kit and weekend bag in comfy. (Or 2 people and 4 bikes with all wheels on.)

post-24697-0-82927800-1401112521_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-50185500-1401112538_thumb.jpg

Clearly your weekend bag is a case of Windhoeks.

I can fit my 29er XL frame FSB in the back when seats are down . I don,t have to remove anything and can drive at 140km/h at 5am to the race venue Probably the biggest reason why i still use this car .I have been looking at a new car for 2 years and cannot find anything that will replace what i have for under R600

Edited by Blitzer

I have my back seats permanently down. Either bikes or surfboards in the back. I have to remove both wheels to fit my XL 29er in. My girlfriend's 650b fits nicely on top.

One day, when I'm big, I'll get a carrier for my roof racks.

Edited by Nick.

for years i fitted two 29ers into the back of my Corsa. an XL and a S size. dropped the seats put a blanket down and put the smaller bike in which fitted ok then put a blanket over the bike and slotted the XL into the back with the back wheel resting on top of the passenger head rest. it was a shlep but was worth it!

get a bike, it beats traffic!

yeah sure, you should see the strange looks, and even ridicule sometimes, but they all stop laughing when they come to a grinding halt in a 2km queue, and I keep going all the way to the front

post-32176-0-32550000-1401201613_thumb.jpg

Edited by sadamhussein

yeah sure, you should see the strange looks, and even ridicule sometimes, but they all stop laughing when they come to a grinding halt in a 2km queue, and I keep going all the way to the front

Eeish that and a gusting cross wind, will negate any positives!

• 2 weeks later...

Does insurance cover you if you transport a bike this way?

Just please don't do what I did.

Brand new bike 29" with XX1 - took of the front wheel to load into boot - due to having only one trigger the handle bars swung round and the bottom of the trigger scratched the toptube. I got such a fright when this happened, I yanked the handlebars back, taking a further gouge out of my toptube.

Everytime I ride the bike I look down and remind myself that I am a tool!

Does insurance cover you if you transport a bike this way?

what insurance?

people are always so concerned about whether it's legal or not - well, I personally don't really care, but if you must know, it is within the law, which states that you may transport things on your motorbike as long as it doesn't stick out 1.5m behind, and 400mm to the sides.

obviously I won't want to argue the legalities with some moronic JMPD officer at a road block, who in his ignorant personal capacity has come to the conclusion that it isn't legal, but yeah, it's legal.

post-32176-0-13985700-1402215041_thumb.jpg

Edited by sadamhussein

Depends if its a 26" or 29" :whistling:

I have a bakkie with canopy so bike goes in the back.

Mine goes in the boot( and saying that I bought the car for the boot)

Been to george from cape town once

4x people

2x mtbikes

2 weeks of my washing

2x riding gear

2 people's weekend bags

1x guitar

Would love a bike rack, but places want to charge R5K for a tow bar, and the clip on ones won't work due to trims.

Can get a tow bar in UK for cheap but to get it here. . .

Just please don't do what I did.

Brand new bike 29" with XX1 - took of the front wheel to load into boot - due to having only one trigger the handle bars swung round and the bottom of the trigger scratched the toptube. I got such a fright when this happened, I yanked the handlebars back, taking a further gouge out of my toptube.

Everytime I ride the bike I look down and remind myself that I am a tool!

Just do what I did have a cool sticker made and . It's sorted

Just got a new Nissan NV200 Combi.Swallows 29er with front wheel attached, and each kid still has one seat in each row for themselves.Then still plenty space for weekend away baggage.Seats are mounted on subframes of their own, so a lot of stuff can fit under all of the seats.Amazing!