Do you know what you are covered for / Cyclesure?

Mats

I would be curious to know what their ruling is for a Thule roofrack with bikes on.

How the hell do you lock that other than the thule locks on the ratchet?

Do they expect me to put a chain on the roofrack and stuff up the roof of my car, then... in doing that will they cover the repair for the scratches said chain will make on my roof?

Its a pity that there isnt some insurance guru form the insurers on the hub that can explain instead of sibongile from the call center who poorly reads from a script.

i checked with my insurance(miway) thule is accepted as LOCKED if there are signs of forced remove/broken lock

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come to think of the roofrack bikes, is the poor bloke who suffers from amnesia also not covered when he drives his bike into the low branches as he enters the camp site or parking garage at the mall?

It should at least cover the trip to the nearest cliff edge so that the idiot can be pushed off it.

different policy have different FINE PRINT and set conditions the trick is to know them, have a good relationship with your broker,and legally claim correctly within those conditions

i checked with my insurance(miway) thule is accepted as LOCKED if there are signs of forced remove/broken lock

How do I know if my carrier locks are compliant? I have an Atera tow-bar mount. Guess I'll email Cyclesure straight away and point them to this thread.

How do I know if my carrier locks are compliant? I have an Atera tow-bar mount. Guess I'll email Cyclesure straight away and point them to this thread.

i phoned my broker,he got back to me and said its accepted i said COOL HIT ME A EMAIL TO THE EFFECT when the guy i spoke to leaves i dont want any confusion

The scariest thing with Cyclesure is bike jacking.

So if I read correctly they will only pay out if it is violent !!!!! :eek:

So does this mean I have to get stabbed or shot before they will payout?

Krummels....

Excuse me mister bike jacker - I know I've handed over my bike freely and without fuss (because I value seeing my kids again), but could I trouble you to smack me around a little - it's for insurance purposes you see, I'm sure you can understand :eek: :eek:

At which point the bike-jacker hands back the bike and runs for his life from the crazy psycho... :huh:

Krummels....

Excuse me mister bike jacker - I know I've handed over my bike freely and without fuss (because I value seeing my kids again), but could I trouble you to smack me around a little - it's for insurance purposes you see, I'm sure you can understand :eek: :eek:

At which point the bike-jacker hands back the bike and runs for his life from the crazy psycho... :huh:

2 years ago on Valentines day I had a dude trying to take my bike.

I fell hard, and got a real raw piece of leg for that, when he was virtually on top of me I got up and climbed in to him giving him a moering as well, blood pouring down my leg, people screaming like mad and cars stopping demanding I get arrested for donnering a tjop that tried to steal my bike.

In hindsight I would have been better of if I got him to stab me and make off with my bike, by the look of things.

It should at least cover the trip to the nearest cliff edge so that the idiot can be pushed off it.

Careful now :ph34r: :whistling:

2 years ago on Valentines day I had a dude trying to take my bike.

I fell hard, and got a real raw piece of leg for that, when he was virtually on top of me I got up and climbed in to him giving him a moering as well, blood pouring down my leg, people screaming like mad and cars stopping demanding I get arrested for donnering a tjop that tried to steal my bike.

In hindsight I would have been better of if I got him to stab me and make off with my bike, by the look of things.

I would have paid good money to see that!

It is a good idea to contact Cyclesure and find out if your current bike carrier is approved. With all new (Cyclesure) application forms, the carrier needs to be disclose to them. I think this is fair because of the different (quality) type carriers out there these days. There is no sense on transporting a R80k bike on a "Makro" carrier, and when they break the carrier and steal your bike, you are expecting the insurance company to pay for it.

Lastly, no insurance company will pay you out if (in this case a bike..) was stolen from the yard. There needs to be forcible entry to the property. Remember there is A LOT of fraud in the insurance industry!

For me, SANTAM stays the top insurance company!

Edited by JohanC

Lastly, no insurance company will pay you out if (in this case a bike..) was stolen from the yard. There needs to be forcible entry to the property. Remember there is A LOT of fraud in the insurance industry!

I am with Indwe (Santam). I was stupid enough to have left my front wheel in my driveway (when loading my bike onto the back of the bakkie). Not only that, I left my gate open.

The wheel was obviously stolen. Indwe replaced the whole wheelset, no questions asked (even though the theft was my negligence). They took the remaining back wheel and then gave it back to me 3 weeks later as they didn't know what to do with it.

I cannot say enough good things about Indwe and/or Santam.

Edited by Eugene

It is a good idea to contact Cyclesure and find out if your current bike carrier is approved. With all new (Cyclesure) application forms, the carrier needs to be disclose to them. I think this is fair because of the different (quality) type carriers out there these days. There is no sense on transporting a R80k bike on a "Makro" carrier, and when they break the carrier and steal your bike, you are expecting the insurance company to pay for it.

Johan, don't you think its because of their x, y and z clauses that fraud does exist...It seems you need the stars to align to get what you paid for out of them.

PS also with santam, and yes, you only know how good your insurer is when it comes to claim time, they haven't dropped me, thus I shall not drop them, eventhough they are more expensive than most. I get weekly calls from all the other insurance companies, and give the phone to my 3 yr old when I find out its them.

I have sent this thread onto some of the industry specific publications for comment.

I keep saying this, get an independent broker.... They will do what they can to get the claim paid to keep you as their client happy regardless of which insurer the actual policy sits with. There is a body which regulates the brokers too, the FIA, make sure the broker is registered with them.

Edited by ArchedBackChinOut

Sounds like you working for SANTAM

But I must agree if I had to rate them AON , Alexander forbes then Santam Will not even look at any other insurer.

I have sent an email to Cyclesue to clarify about theft from house, wendy house or hotel. I'm off to Kremetart next weekend and need to know if I have to go buy a lock (an cement and hook to do some building in b&b room). I have also asked for clarity on hijacking... I often cycle alone up the road to my meeting spot and would definitely put life and limb ahead of bike if faced with a gun or knife.

I haven't had a bicycle claim but when my previously very good broker turned down a home break in claim for 2 laptops and a camera where there was forced entry but the items were not specified (they had advised that they needn't be) I did a bit of investigation. Turned out that it seemed that the broker now worked exclusively with Hollard and, to put it kindly, was a lot more rigorous about trying to exclude claims.

The lesson; get a good independent broker, preferably one who knows you and cycling.

Your broker is no way responsible for turning down a claim, more likely he just didn't push very hard for it to be paid.

Did you follow this up because most insurance covers portable possessions that aren't specified as long as they are at home when stolen.