Thule EuroWay G2 923 Stolen - Tableview

Matt

Hi Hubbers,

Unfortunately my prized Thule EuroWay 3 bike carrier was stolen off the back of my car on Sunday night (25 May 2014) while parked in an open driveway in Sandpiper Road, Tableview.

It was locked onto the towball, but seems they either had enough time or the tools to remove it.

If anyone happens to spot one for sale please let me know, but more so if you have a similar model watch out if parking in a publicly accessible spot overnight. The lock I'd assumed was pretty solid was easily and quietly dealt with.

Thanks,

Matt

thule_euroway_g2_923020_3b_7pin_straight_white_4_sized_450x300.jpg

Ouch, will keep an eye out for it. Hope Thule is not selling these racks offering peace of mind that your bikes (and rack) will still be there when you return. All product security testing should be carried out in the Cape..

Lucky you had nothing on it at the time!!

Last month one was stolen off a vehicle parked at Contermanskloof. Something fishy going on here, I'm now worried as I have the same one.

Mine was almost stolen. I came just in time. I couldn't do much. 3 guys and I had my kids and wife with.

We just ran into buy ice cream. And as I walked back to the car I saw 3 guys around my bike rack. One of the guys was the car guard. The rack was skew so they were trying to force it off the towbar.

Edited by YUMEYA

Last month one was stolen off a vehicle parked at Contermanskloof. Something fishy going on here, I'm now worried as I have the same one.

I had noticed mine was a little loose on the Saturday before it found legs. Going over speed bumps it has a slight rattle - presumably a loose on the tow ball, but I've had this before after dirt road trips and just had to tighten the adjuster knob to get a snugger fit on the tow ball.

Made me wonder if they were not able to loosen that adjuster just enough to work it off the tow ball? Or if they'd attempted to lift it the night before and came back the next night with some tools or muscle.

Mine was almost stolen. I came just in time. I couldn't do much. 3 guys and I had my kids and wife with. We just ran into buy ice cream. And as I walked back to the car I saw 3 guys around my bike rack. One of the guys was the car guard. The rack was skew so they were trying to force it off the towbar.

Now that I think back, I've had an attempted rack theft before. Parked at the airport over a weekend, coming back to find the rack skew and the electrical socket unplugged. Clearly that time the rack won.

This won't stop me from getting the same Thule rack again, it's a great product, but will certainly be more vigilant about where I leave it in future.

In any case with bikes on the back I don't leave it unattended anywhere for long periods, no matter how many locks in place.

What does your lock with? This is quite concerning. How unique is your key?

I have the model prior to yours (with the fabric straps), it uses the little black plastic key.

What's stopping someone from getting some keys? Imagine returning to your car and finding both your bike and rack stolen!

What does your lock with? This is quite concerning. How unique is your key?

I have the model prior to yours (with the fabric straps), it uses the little black plastic key.

What's stopping someone from getting some keys? Imagine returning to your car and finding both your bike and rack stolen!

Mine uses used a little metal key - same key for the outer clamp nut and the towbar fixing mechanism. Personally I've never put too much faith in the lockable clamp and always used cable bike lock as a backup.... but that was always locked to the rack itself.

I'd imagine it's far more difficult to work the rack off the towbar with bikes attached - I've tried it with the rack unlocked and with more that 1 bike it's tricky.

Do you pay insurance premiums, and was it covered?

I do and mine is a specified item on my policy. You can't claim for loss or damage if it isn't....

Was it insured?

Not specified - and I knew it needed to be, just one of those things I never got around to adding.

Do you pay insurance premiums, and was it covered?

All the Thule locks have the key number stamped on them, so it is only a matter of matching the key to the lock. I bought spare keys for my roof racks from the agents. Makes you wonder if this was a random theft or a well plan and prepared for theft.

Not specified - and I knew it needed to be, just one of those things I never got around to adding.

Ouch.... Expensive mistake!

How many of these key variations are there? I have a euroway and roof racks, with locks for the roofracks and the bike racks and eruoway, will check if any keys are interchangeable, they have numbers on the locks, which correspond with the number on the key, which is a bit dodge