Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No pics on this tablet to upload, but gautenger cyclists know both of mine... yellow sv650 and white dr650. DR is in for repairs and don't like using sv in to town... been feeling a tad caged. Hate using the car this much.

hows the feul economy on that?

To be honest I haven't measured it yet, but it is noticeably cheaper than my estate :-)

I would call myself a motorbike but I do have a PBT (petrol besparings toestel)

Motomia 150 cc but I dream of owning a buell xb12S.

Wanted to buy a Suzuki Dr 650 but they apparently have taken them off the market, so looking at a klr now, but have to sell one of my cars to do so, have a cash flow situation going on

I bought one of the KLRs in January after a lot of research, great fun it is, a lekker bike for the money. 10 grand extra and I have a Leo Vinci end can, DNA filter, aluminium bash plate and crash bars. Not very fast, but fine enough in the dirt for me, and great around town.

I bought one of the KLRs in January after a lot of research, great fun it is, a lekker bike for the money. 10 grand extra and I have a Leo Vinci end can, DNA filter, aluminium bash plate and crash bars. Not very fast, but fine enough in the dirt for me, and great around town.

I had a Bmw 650 GS Dakar and if I buy now I will most likely go for the KLR as well, for me they are just so much easier to work on than the Gs.

Spokey, has the doohickey (valid word) been replaced on your KLR?

I just becuqed my pants... that is so so soo beautiful!

EDIT: i cant get over this...

What is it (i can see its a ducati, but which one...?)

How much is it? (must be such a bore, these old motorcycles :whistling: )

It's a '77 900SS. An ex-race bike which I picked up as a non-runner about 10 years ago. it was to far gone to try and get it back to original condition, and because the previous owner had spent quite a bit on an "Imola" race kit, I decided just to leave it as it is. So it's got those nice loud upswept pipes and big 40mm Flat-slide Dell'ortos. We actually don't ride it much at all. Very anti-social, very uncomfortable, and the heavens and all the planets and stars need to align just right before it starts. But for 30kms it can be a lot of fun!

Tell us more about this please

My Dad and I restore Velocettes and it's always a bit of a risk riding the restored ones, so I built this "special" out of left over parts just to have a bit of fun on. It's mostly standard Velocette Venom, but has a Honda front-end (forks and wheel), and then a few pretty rare accessories from one of the more premium models. 500cc Single, 1 3/4" Carb, nice long inlet manifold and a open megaphone exhaust to upset the neighbours.

It's really great buying new stuff, and I've had the chance to ride some really special bikes in my time (Was the Product Manager for Yamaha SA for about 3 years, so I got to test a lot of pre-production Yamaha's), but I still prefer building up and riding the old stuff. But that's just me I guess....

post-15215-0-41585100-1401693473_thumb.jpg

My Dad and I restore Velocettes and it's always a bit of a risk riding the restored ones, so I built this "special" out of left over parts just to have a bit of fun on. It's mostly standard Velocette Venom, but has a Honda front-end (forks and wheel), and then a few pretty rare accessories from one of the more premium models. 500cc Single, 1 3/4" Carb, nice long inlet manifold and a open megaphone exhaust to upset the neighbours.

It's really great buying new stuff, and I've had the chance to ride some really special bikes in my time (Was the Product Manager for Yamaha SA for about 3 years, so I got to test a lot of pre-production Yamaha's), but I still prefer building up and riding the old stuff. But that's just me I guess....

I really envy someone who can build up their own bike. it must be pretty special. Unfortunaley I am an accountant with 10 thumbs and very little patience, so its not even an option.

I really envy someone who can build up their own bike. it must be pretty special. Unfortunaley I am an accountant with 10 thumbs and very little patience, so its not even an option.

I think it's pretty much what opportunities are given at a young age - I grew up as a kid in Newcastle in a house with a big garage, so I was always in there on the weekends hammering and sawing stuff! I built my first motorbike when I was 12 from three scrap Yamaha's my Dad bought on an auction for R50 each. Sold the one for R450 and the other a few years later for R750.

Sadly now the new bikes and cars are so finicky, that if you haven't kept up to speed, you can really make a big mess of things if you try and service them. Much like a certain make of MTB fork......

I have been riding bikes since I was 16 years old, a good 40 plus years back and still love it, although my tastes are a bit more laid back now.

Below is my 09 Harley Streetglide Soft tail with a few Screaming Eagle accessories. A great tourer and I once put 1200 kms on in one day without even getting fatigued, its like riding in a car.

post-16119-0-35631900-1401714651_thumb.jpg

and below is my Kawasaki Vulcan, which I seldom ride now unfortunately, but just dont have the heart to sell.

post-16119-0-00581300-1401714682_thumb.jpg

I have been riding bikes since I was 16 years old, a good 40 plus years back and still love it, although my tastes are a bit more laid back now.

Below is my 09 Harley Streetglide Soft tail with a few Screaming Eagle accessories. A great tourer and I once put 1200 kms on in one day without even getting fatigued, its like riding in a car.

post-16119-0-35631900-1401714651_thumb.jpg

and below is my Kawasaki Vulcan, which I seldom ride now unfortunately, but just dont have the heart to sell.

post-16119-0-00581300-1401714682_thumb.jpg

We had a real challenge at Yamaha with the Star line - the Japanese cruisers are really just so much better than the American ones, but just lack that little bit of something which make them desirable. They are almost so good that they are boring! The Yamaha Raider should be outselling the Harleys hand over fist, but it doesn't - it just doesn't have that appeal. I'm pretty sure that having ridden both the Vulcan and the Harley, you will probably agree!