Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

I had a DR650, amazing bike. A lil agricultural but awesome reliability and dependability. The 400 more hooligan and probably the pick of the 2 for everything but trans continental riding but it is more maintenance intensive and liquid cooling adds things that can go wrong.

for many years I only rode single cylinder motorbikes after superbikes and loved the simplicity of them.

I've had a couple XT500s. Just really like the genre.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a damn fine video/series...

That NX Express route is soooo tempting. Figure you've got to do it once in your life... [emoji848]

I've seen superbikes chance just the NX express lane just from Esmonde rd to the highway. Probably to avoid those infernal ramp signals (I hate those things. do more harm than good)

I guess the chances of a cop catching you on that short stretch is minimal. I'd still be too scared to try it.

I've seen superbikes chance just the NX express lane just from Esmonde rd to the highway. Probably to avoid those infernal ramp signals (I hate those things. do more harm than good)

I guess the chances of a cop catching you on that short stretch is minimal. I'd still be too scared to try it.

SA taxis would be all over it...

Congratulations.

Tell more about the bike? km's? extra's colour?

Some peeps have done ghetto tubeless ssing sikaflex or some such. tape the spoke holes over, and apply something that seals airtight.

I have been running tubes on my bike, and the only time punctures ever become an issue is close to the end of tire life. 

Thanks dude. It's been a bit of a learning curve. I got seduced by the low mileage - 13 500 km. But after having to buy new tyres, new sprockets and chain, new fork seals and now possibly a new master cylinder, I'm way over budget on this bike. Which is a function of the fact that I bought it without seeing it. And also that a low mileage means a bike that hasn't been regularly used can have mechanical consequences. You live, you learn. I've fitted a tall screen and am on the hunt for a raised seat, I've got one of those terrible low ones. Can't wait to go touring!

Do you know what the law says about these babies on bikes? And your opinions?

Thinking of putting one on each hand guard? 

https://4x4direct.co.za/drl-lights/6026-universal-12w-strobe-white-light-drl-br.html

NRTA

183. Lamps to emit steady light Unless otherwise provided elsewhere in these regulations, a lamp fitted to any vehicle shall emit a steady light when in operation:

Provided that an ambulance, rescue vehicle, fire-fighting vehicle, a motor vehicle operated by a traffic officer in the execution of his or her duties, or a motor vehicle operated by a member of the Service or a member of a municipal police service, both as defined in section 1 of the South African Police Service Act, 1995 (Act No. 68 of 1995) in the execution of his or her duties, may be equipped with a device which enables the driver of such vehicle to operate the vehicle’s head lamps in such a manner that they flash intermittently.

Then there's this too

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/202506-No-more-LED-bars/page4

NRTA

183. Lamps to emit steady light Unless otherwise provided elsewhere in these regulations, a lamp fitted to any vehicle shall emit a steady light when in operation:

Provided that an ambulance, rescue vehicle, fire-fighting vehicle, a motor vehicle operated by a traffic officer in the execution of his or her duties, or a motor vehicle operated by a member of the Service or a member of a municipal police service, both as defined in section 1 of the South African Police Service Act, 1995 (Act No. 68 of 1995) in the execution of his or her duties, may be equipped with a device which enables the driver of such vehicle to operate the vehicle’s head lamps in such a manner that they flash intermittently.

Then there's this too

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/202506-No-more-LED-bars/page4

Thanks Az! 

Seen a couple of bikes with flashing lights, to be honest it is damn annoying and more likely to get you hit by somebody trying to get them out their face.

Nevermind what it would do to a person who suffers from seizures or ephileptic fits brought on by flashing lights......

Very inconsiderate IMO.

Seen a couple of bikes with flashing lights, to be honest it is damn annoying and more likely to get you hit by somebody trying to get them out their face.

Nevermind what it would do to a person who suffers from seizures or ephileptic fits brought on by flashing lights......

Very inconsiderate IMO.

Also not a fan. (on bicycles as well)

Intermittent light makes it difficult to judge speed and distance of approaching vehicles. ( I read somewhere, can't really confirm this, other than anecdotal experience)

Have decided not to do it. I already have spotlights on my bike, but they are a bit low on the frame. 

Maybe I should just spend the dosh on an exhaust. Then audio and visual awareness is covered instead of just visual. 

My opinion on Audio is contrary to the general perception, but Loud pipes only annoys riders behind.

In slow, near still standing traffice it makes a slight difference, people seem to move out of the way a bit more for a loud pipe. But when traffic gets up to speed, anything 40+ the sound just gets expelled to the back, like I say annoying the rider behind (if any)

I do however think that if I had a really loud pipe, I would spend a lot more time stationary in traffic or riding next to people on their phones, making it impossible for them to hear/ speak

My opinion on Audio is contrary to the general perception, but Loud pipes only annoys riders behind.

In slow, near still standing traffice it makes a slight difference, people seem to move out of the way a bit more for a loud pipe. But when traffic gets up to speed, anything 40+ the sound just gets expelled to the back, like I say annoying the rider behind (if any)

I do however think that if I had a really loud pipe, I would spend a lot more time stationary in traffic or riding next to people on their phones, making it impossible for them to hear/ speak

If the sound of a fruity pipe annoys the rider behind then he is not a true biker.....

If the sound of a fruity pipe annoys the rider behind then he is not a true biker.....

A difference between fruity and headthuddingly annoying.

I need to hear the beat of my music, not the beat of his engine..

Strongly, no very strongly disagree. you would change your mind if you were at the lights behind a hipster on a Harley who thinks it's cool to rev and blip constantly because his straight through exhaust sounds cool. That sound makes my brain rattle in my head inside my helmet. Not cool.