Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What chain lube are you all using?

Ive just finished my can of lIqui Moly but I wasnt stoked on it, looking for something else!

Back in the day, Scottoiler.

Pretty much fit and forget.

Cleaning and oiling chains has no appeal for me.

Ive just finished my can of lIqui Moly but I wasnt stoked on it, looking for something else! 

I use chain wax on my KTM. Works like dream and no fling..

Depending on what's cheapest at the shop at the time of purchase I either go for Motul, Repsol, or Penrite.

If I had the money I would get a Scottoiler or Tutoro system

Anyone else noticed a huge upsurge in motorbike thefts???

Even though I live in NZ now (where vehicle theft in general is significantly lower), the Saffer in me is still paranoid.

Add to that the fact that my bikes at OEM spec only have a steering locks. No key required to start.

So I decided to do a little mod and install a sneaky kill switches hidden away on each.

Very easy to do on a KTM/Husky enduro bike. Takes 5 - 15min, depending on how well you want to hide them.

For extra security I opted for a tubular key switch on one of them

SM1034-spst-mini-key-switch-tube-keyImag

The other bike just has a way more hidden toggle switch.

This method isn't food proof. The bike can still be lifted into the back of a bakkie. Or a savvy thief could figure out how to disable the killswitch. But it's something. A frustration and a deterrent none the less.

For those on here with a dirt bike, I would recommend this simple, cheap option to add a bit of security. Here's how

Edited by patches

Interesting about chain lube (I haven't watched the video). I used to use the boil up Duckhams (that is old) lube then any spray lube. Then a mechanical engineer I rode with 15 years or so ago said on O ring chains no lube was ever needed, he just sprayed with WD40 or similar after washing the bike. So we never lubed chains, even on multi day dirt bike rides. So far so good.

The back of the EK and DiD chain boxes tell you to use gear oil (or an aerosol)

I'm inclined to side with mazambaan though.

xax5ZUF.jpg

Edited by -Az-

Interesting about chain lube (I haven't watched the video). I used to use the boil up Duckhams (that is old) lube then any spray lube. Then a mechanical engineer I rode with 15 years or so ago said on O ring chains no lube was ever needed, he just sprayed with WD40 or similar after washing the bike. So we never lubed chains, even on multi day dirt bike rides. So far so good.

I had the same view, but I'm trying to get into the habit of cleaning, inspecting and lubing the chain once a month now (don't have a long daily commute). Following the Fort9 review on chains and chainlube and  understanding that the rollers actually need lubing I figured it is a better choice. Trying out gear oil for the moment and cleaning with WD-40 and/or prepsol, depending on the level of dirt in there. Found aerosol lubes to be irritating as I can never get it not to spray everywhere else. Have started applying with a small paint brush to encourage even spread, without excessive application

I had the same view, but I'm trying to get into the habit of cleaning, inspecting and lubing the chain once a month now (don't have a long daily commute). Following the Fort9 review on chains and chainlube and  understanding that the rollers actually need lubing I figured it is a better choice. Trying out gear oil for the moment and cleaning with WD-40 and/or prepsol, depending on the level of dirt in there. Found aerosol lubes to be irritating as I can never get it not to spray everywhere else. Have started applying with a small paint brush to encourage even spread, without excessive application

Use a syringe.

Time consuming but effective.

Also long debate on Thumper Forum about a report (from DID I think) that WD40 damages the O rings on a chain. Many pro's and con's; jury still out. 

Lyndon Poskitt who's done 220 000km odd around the world (and recently in SA) says he lubricates with Motorex (bet he's sponsored to say that I sneer).

Also long debate on Thumper Forum about a report (from DID I think) that WD40 damages the O rings on a chain. Many pro's and con's; jury still out. 

Lyndon Poskitt who's done 220 000km odd around the world (and recently in SA) says he lubricates with Motorex (bet he's sponsored to say that I sneer).

But he said he lubricates so thats the clean with WD40 out the door then??

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1_VXknnuLE/?igshid=94t93q73qgya

I'd be surprised if he didn't have Motorex in his veins...

I realise that sponsors pay bills but it was a lot more fun following him when he was flying solo without all the brand pitches.

Here's an event that sounds worth a visit...

http://www.bikebound.com/2019/08/17/malle-mile-2019/

:lol: kinda reminds me of the "Dirt Masters" event that the Quake City Rumblers hold down in Christchurch.

When I lived down there I worked with a guy that was part of the QCR's. It's awesome how they can laugh at themselves and be so ridiculous that it's almost cool.

QCR 50cc Club

QCR Dirt Masters

Edited by patches