Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

One of my mates here has just sold his 690 but kept both his older 640 adventure and 950. The reason above why I have kept my agricultural KLR and looking at the possible pricing of the Tenere700 the KLR is going to be a keeper.

I have just done the Eagle Mike Doohicky conversion and the suspension is upgraded. Perhaps I may even go in for the 700cc big bore kit. One could argue the cost effectiveness on an old bike/design, but it sure is cheaper than a new bike. In any event even 5 to 8 hp more on a KLR would be noticeable!!!(even though it will still look ancient)

Spokey, not sure you the same spokey on Wilddogs ... however, if you thinking of the 685 conversion or larger speak to a guy called Groenie on wilddogs,the man knows KLRs initmiately. ...well maybe not intimately but you know what i mean.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I guess looking at it that way, KTM's are like BMW 3 series in SA. They're not cheap, but people will still buy them, so based on the volume sold the price can drop.

As GrantMcD1 mentioned, SA has a big hard enduro scene. And the Austrians (KTM & Husky) almost have a monopoly on that market. So it makes sense that their sales would be up there.

NZ, Oz, and the US seem lean more towards the MX and GNCC styles of racing, and in general Japanese bikes outsell in that market.

The Kiwis still see the Austrians as the luxury brand and assume the high-maintenance mentality that comes with it.

This seems to be evident whenever I've been out for organised trail rides, popped over to the bike park, or gone for a ride on one of the popular off-roading beaches. There's about a 70:30 split between Japanese and Austrian bikes. In general the Austrian bikes never seem to be more than 3yrs old, and they're usually looking all shiny and pampered, whilst there are plenty of the Japanese bikes that must be close on 10yrs old, or older (like Suzuki RM 2-strokes), and one can see that many of them have had a hard life, yet they keep on going. So I guess that's why the Kiwis just keep trusting and buying those brands.

This also got me thinking to a more generalised observation I have made over the 4-odd years of living in NZ.

Kiwis and Aussies seem to be less brand and image conscious than us Saffers. This becomes immediately evident as one drives around their cities, towns, and suburbs. Loads of cars we would call "skedonks", parked outside houses worth R10m- R20m+. Station wagons are preferred over sedans as practicality outweighs sleek-design, and the humble Subaru Legacy station-wagon is pretty much the national-vehicle. 

Cities like Auckland, Sydney and Melbourne are more on the flashy side, with the cosmopolitan lifestyle. But still way fever luxury Germans cruising around than one would see in JHB.

And perhaps this relates in turn to the motorcycle industry.

It's weird the South African image thing isn't it - everything revolves around what car you drive.  We recently did a substantial upgrade on the front of our house and we got quite a few landscapers in our Estate to quote.  Not one of them even bothered to submit a price.  We eventually got someone who was prepared to take on the project and since it's been completed two of the Landscapers in the Estate who we approached have come back to us asking if we need any additional work done.  My wife and I are convinced they looked at the Jazz and the Polo in the driveway, compared it too the BM's and Mercs of our neighbours, and thought we wouldn't be able to afford the project.  

I also get that feeling when I head off on a Sunday (or used to!) to Que Sera for a breakfast.  Almost as if all the modern Superbikes and Big Trailies are parked in the main parking lot and if you dare to encroach on them with your average Joe there's a more than a few sideways glances.

It's weird the South African image thing isn't it - everything revolves around what car you drive.  We recently did a substantial upgrade on the front of our house and we got quite a few landscapers in our Estate to quote.  Not one of them even bothered to submit a price.  We eventually got someone who was prepared to take on the project and since it's been completed two of the Landscapers in the Estate who we approached have come back to us asking if we need any additional work done.  My wife and I are convinced they looked at the Jazz and the Polo in the driveway, compared it too the BM's and Mercs of our neighbours, and thought we wouldn't be able to afford the project.  

I also get that feeling when I head off on a Sunday (or used to!) to Que Sera for a breakfast.  Almost as if all the modern Superbikes and Big Trailies are parked in the main parking lot and if you dare to encroach on them with your average Joe there's a more than a few sideways glances.

An easy trap to fall into unfortunately.

That's why I can appreciate an older well maintained bike over a brand new super-whatever dripping in brembo and ohlins, etc......

An easy trap to fall into unfortunately.

That's why I can appreciate an older well maintained bike over a brand new super-whatever dripping in brembo and ohlins, etc......

The really funny thing that day at Que Sera was that I was on one of these....

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23804/lot/190/

And my Dad was on one of these....

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24494/lot/210/

but we were two old guys who rocked up on old bikes and please don't park next to my BMW or my Ducati.......

but we were two old guys who rocked up on old bikes and please don't park next to my BMW or my Ducati.......

Most of them are the same guys who use a throttle as an on/off switch because of the electronics they have at their disposal........

I am sorry, but the two of you were styling ... those cookie cutter motorcyclists must have just been jealous ...............

That reminds me of the time I wne to a well-established repair business (No names no pack drill) just off Buitensingel street. I needed a small job done to repair scratches on the bumper on an old Honda Civic. I told them I had no insurance and would pay personally, whereupon I was told that they only do work for insurance companies. I had to wonder why..

Edited by sawystertrance

Sooooo, I'm like a little kid before Christmas. 

Ordered myself a top box from "X Strong Adventure boxes" (local guys in Richardsbay), was couriered today so if aramax moves their butts I should be able to do my work trip on Thursday to the NW on the bike!!

They look great. Can they synch the key with your ignition key?

They look great. Can they synch the key with your ignition key?

I don't know but doubt it. Seems to be the normal issue locks. But I'm sure if you wanted you can add a BMW lock which will use the same key.

I don't know but doubt it. Seems to be the normal issue locks. But I'm sure if you wanted you can add a BMW lock which will use the same key.

How much was it if I may ask?

Most definitely, even the way you dress, what brands etc. Have had similar with renovations, and even people collecting money for well established organisations, then wanting to use my wifes car(ford fiesta at the time) as reference on spending money and they were shocked. They went O! ok, thats it and left. Most car dealerships will judge you on how well you dressed.

How much was it if I may ask?

I ordered the medium size box, which goes for R4750.00 (including mounting plate), add courier fee and the rubber pad for the pillion it came in at R5500.00. 

Spokey, not sure you the same spokey on Wilddogs ... however, if you thinking of the 685 conversion or larger speak to a guy called Groenie on wilddogs,the man knows KLRs initmiately. ...well maybe not intimately but you know what i mean.

Yup, that is me......not that active there, I find that there are too many social media options available and for some reason I did not get on well with that site, honestly do not know why.

685 cc, hardly worth the effort really, surely not much power or torque to be gained in around 35cc. Tis just a model aerie engine more!