Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Hey motorcycling friends!

I've got a 2007 F650GS and the one thing that bugs the crap out of me is the fact it runs tubes. Would a ghetto tubeless conversion work? Or is a tubliss fitment a better bet?

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey motorcycling friends!

I've got a 2007 F650GS and the one thing that bugs the crap out of me is the fact it runs tubes. Would a ghetto tubeless conversion work? Or is a tubliss fitment a better bet?

I run Tubliss on both my Huskies and am a big fan... except when changing tyres. It's a fair bit more effort than tubes, but still way easier than mousses.

On the 650GS you may only be able to get Tubliss for the front wheel. As far as I know they only make 21", 19", and 18". If you're running the stock 17" rear wheel on the GS you may be out of luck.

https://tublissreview.com/tubliss-17-inch/

As for ghetto tubeless conversions. I have done these on MTB's. Not sure how keen I would be to do them on a vehicle that can go in excess of 100kph  :ph34r: 

Even Tubliss is technically not legal or designed for the roads.

Edited by patches

Going to take a Yamaha Mt-03 for a test ride this weekend.

Need to get my full license on a learner approved motorcycle and that one looks pretty good.

Welcome to the darkside Wayne!!

Good morning all, so as you know I am the local newby.

Being a newby has it's perks, which includes firsts:

1. I just hit 3000km on the bike since I got it, yes I ride a crapload!!
  2. Did my 1st longer trip, Jhb straight to Rtb for work, and one hell of a detour back racking up a 550km (odd) trip.
  3. Doing some adventure training on Springday with Morag Campbell so looking forward to that;

Ito training, are there any specific newby skills I should ask to be prioritized rather than others?

Going to take a Yamaha Mt-03 for a test ride this weekend.

Need to get my full license on a learner approved motorcycle and that one looks pretty good.

Did you not a full motorcycle license in SA, that just converts on your side?

Did you not a full motorcycle license in SA, that just converts on your side?

ummm.

So in RSA I used a R50 note as a license. Just kept renewing my learners.

About 18 months ago I did my NZ Learners and Restricted. Bought a BMW GS but I am too hobbit sized for it so sold it.

Now I want to get my full license( my year on Restricted is over) and I need to buy a little easy to manage bike to do that on. The MT looks cool and seems to keep its value.

ummm.

So in RSA I used a R50 note as a license. Just kept renewing my learners.

About 18 months ago I did my NZ Learners and Restricted. Bought a BMW GS but I am too hobbit sized for it so sold it.

Now I want to get my full license( my year on Restricted is over) and I need to buy a little easy to manage bike to do that on. The MT looks cool and seems to keep its value.

I don't think you can go wrong with an MT-03. Yamaha have set a market standard with the MT range.

I've been on my restricted for a little over 2yrs now  :ph34r:

I should probably get round to doing my full. Apparently it's slightly easier than the restricted in that it's shorter. From what I understand the main thing they "test" you on is that you are comfortable and competent to ride at 100kph (whereas the Restricted test they only take you to 80kph).

Are you going to go on a Ride Forever Silver course just before you do the test? Let me know, I may join. I've been meaning to do another Ride Forever.

I don't think you can go wrong with an MT-03. Yamaha have set a market standard with the MT range.

I've been on my restricted for a little over 2yrs now  :ph34r:

I should probably get round to doing my full. Apparently it's slightly easier than the restricted in that it's shorter. From what I understand the main thing they "test" you on is that you are comfortable and competent to ride at 100kph (whereas the Restricted test they only take you to 80kph).

Are you going to go on a Ride Forever Silver course just before you do the test? Let me know, I may join. I've been meaning to do another Ride Forever.

Cool idea.

After a couple of weeks getting comfortable, I will do a Ride Forever refresher and start getting ready for the full. Would be cool to do it with a mate.

Update - Took the little MT-03 for a spin. Great little learner bike. Super light and easy to manouveurerueu turn.

Ordered one in the Ice Flouro colour scheme. Should get it Wednesday.

Once I have the full license, ill flip it and upgrade to its bigger brother the MT-07 or MT-09.

Here is a picture (no couch - sorry)

post-18409-0-66859700-1598838234_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

Update - Took the little MT-03 for a spin. Great little learner bike. Super light and easy to manouveurerueu turn.

Once I have the full license, ill flip it and upgrade to its bigger brother the MT-07 or MT-09.

Very nice!

The MT-07 engine is supposed to be majestical!

I'm guessing if you go for an MT-07 after getting your full license, it'll be the high-output version (689cc) as the other one is LAMS approved (655cc) and where's the fun in that! :lol:

Dammit Wayne!

You got me looking at the Husky website for a "commuter bike" once I too get a full license, and they have a sale on the Husky 701 Supermoto  :drool:

19701SM.jpg

https://www.cyclespot.co.nz/bike/Husqvarna/FS701/999595672

The 2020 Pilens are also rather purdy...

999611795_2.jpg

999611785_3.jpg

However I will be drawn & quartered if I end up with a 3rd Husky in the garage when I'm supposed to be going down to just 1  :ph34r:

Dammit Wayne!

You got me looking at the Husky website for a "commuter bike" once I too get a full license, and they have a sale on the Husky 701 Supermoto :drool:

19701SM.jpg

https://www.cyclespot.co.nz/bike/Husqvarna/FS701/999595672

The 2020 Pilens are also rather purdy...

999611795_2.jpg

999611785_3.jpg

However I will be drawn & quartered if I end up with a 3rd Husky in the garage when I'm supposed to be going down to just 1 :ph34r:

there is a saffa lady in Auckland selling a vitpilen on Facebook with the most amazing helmet.

So you NZ dwellers - isn't it crazy expensive to run a bike in NZ? - I have a good school friend who lives  in CHC and he used to have a CBR500 which he rode on the weekends.  Last time I spoke to him he said he sold it because it was waaaay to expensive to licence and insure - something close to the equivalent of R10000 per year he said.

I speak under correction but he was saying that because the NZ Government sees motorcycling as a high risk which could cost a lot in medical fees if you have an accident, they make it really expensive to do.

And talk of a 300cc version of the Tenere too......

So you NZ dwellers - isn't it crazy expensive to run a bike in NZ? - I have a good school friend who lives in CHC and he used to have a CBR500 which he rode on the weekends. Last time I spoke to him he said he sold it because it was waaaay to expensive to licence and insure - something close to the equivalent of R10000 per year he said.

I speak under correction but he was saying that because the NZ Government sees motorcycling as a high risk which could cost a lot in medical fees if you have an accident, they make it really expensive to do.

its swings and roundabouts.

You pay more on your road user charges(my last bike was about R4,500 a year) but I pay no medical aid at all so that’s nice.

Edited by Wayne Potgieter