Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

post-52292-0-89506600-1600292437_thumb.jpeg

Been reading a lot about this fellow and following on social media. Allen Millyard from the UK. This Zed is his latest creation. He builds these magnificent machines largely by hand, cutting crank cases with a hacksaw!

Several of his finest motorcycles now reside in the Barber Museum in the US.

Well worth a look in.

Allen Millyard is a freakin backyard genius.

In other news related to moto noise, I have taken to doing enduro riding around my (rented) house with my 7 year old. He hits the Suzuki JR50, while I smash it on his JR80 (he's a bit nervous to use the clutch on such a tight course, he's worried he'll crash into his mom's M3). Yesterday we built a ramp together onto a wooden box, 5 inch plank up, and a 60cm drop off on the other side. He hasn't hit that yet, but I did a couple times...he wheelies the 50 all over the show though. When he gets home from school, the first thing I hear is 'hey Dad, let's ride motobikes that are too small for us'. Who could resist that :D

Haven't had neighbours complain about the 2 stroke noise yet...despite some spirited revving, the lil 80 wheelies nice and you can do pretty mean powerslides too

attachicon.gif15F9E0C4-7137-44C3-A029-745419B58800.jpeg

Been reading a lot about this fellow and following on social media. Allen Millyard from the UK. This Zed is his latest creation. He builds these magnificent machines largely by hand, cutting crank cases with a hacksaw!

Well worth a look in.

Ya I love the way he casually cuts a camshaft in half with his angle grinder while holding it with his foot.

And I doubt his trusty gas barbeque has ever seen anything other than engine parts being prepped for welding.

Ya I love the way he casually cuts a camshaft in half with his angle grinder while holding it with his foot.

And I doubt his trusty gas barbeque has ever seen anything other than engine parts being prepped for welding.

Then you've seen the bicycle connection - downhill bike that he built and currently a rear shock. His son is in the bicycle business I gather. Amazing guy; I would like to know his background.

Then you've seen the bicycle connection - downhill bike that he built and currently a rear shock. His son is in the bicycle business I gather. Amazing guy; I would like to know his background.

The gearbox on his downhill bikes and the way he is able to get the chain within the single-sided swingarm is amazing.

Surprised it has not been bought by a big name brand like Shimano to replicate!!

They will get over it!

Years ago I lived in a complex in Midrand. Kids were little and I would take them to the gate and back on the bike. Body corp then issued a notice that bikes and vehicles with noisy exhausts must just enter and exit via the gate and not ride around the complex.......so to appease the cockwombles I did that precisely, out the gate, turn around and back in.... Honestly I tried hard not make a racket. Realized complex living is not for me.

Now, years later I do try to keep the noise down in the village, Big Zed with the Yoshi pipe will almost awaken the dead when wound up!

Honestly, 5 mins at idle, not excessive in my opinion!

I like the look of your village.Would not mind moving there.Some nice properties

I like the look of your village.Would not mind moving there.Some nice properties

If you visit, pop in and say hi, Mrs B’s Kitchen, patisserie next to the Post Office........though I am out of SA until mid October!

15F9E0C4-7137-44C3-A029-745419B58800.jpeg

Well worth a look in.

Although I'm biased as a fan of old Japanese motorcycles, that is probably the most beautiful bike I've ever seen. Drool.

Nice little ride yesterday morning. Gorgeous weather. 367af345e43905c71da54cc7a99c6a0d.jpg

Nice bike Wayne, just out of curiosity, if one has got a big motorbike licence in SA, is it transferrable by you guys, for example can one just get an international licence then?

So I've been enjoying the hell out of my bike lately with mostly Sunday outrides every 2nd or 3rd Sunday depending on my wife's work schedule.

This F800GS was one of the best purchases I've made in a long time. Found a group with some lekker okes in my area to ride with and my boy is usually on the back with me.

I recently also got my wife on the back for a ride aswell. She hasn't been on a bike with me in over a year and was pretty hesitant, but after a 280km Ceres, Op die berg, Katbakkies, Tankwa Padstal and back through Ceres Sunday ride she's caught the bug again with me. Now she's already starting to plan longer weekend trips.

I've even started using the bike for some work trips now and again. Did a biggish ride last Tuesday from Worcester to Malgas, the new Pond is not in operation yet so I had to go all the way round to Buffeljags and down to Witsand and back to Worcester again through Swellendam.

I wish I'd found this adventure riding thing more appealing earlier on, could have been enjoying this lifestyle long ago already.

Here are a few pics taken over the past month or so.860c2d4ce72752985cdb0c335583cc4f.jpgf1e06c2e02fe1ee389a5045a491d9f5f.jpgc8bd927b51b49d541f214e389462e294.jpgda71f6f3a147446a45f568430715b786.jpgdecbf961304cc6d71686d8e5424e79a0.jpg778be7c7ad74f9d22e0bca63627e5092.jpg674bacc8a2c8f304a83fef7756010e81.jpg