Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

So I've been enjoying the hell out of my bike lately with mostly Sunday outrides every 2nd or 3rd Sunday depending on my wife's work schedule.

This F800GS was one of the best purchases I've made in a long time. Found a group with some lekker okes in my area to ride with and my boy is usually on the back with me.

I recently also got my wife on the back for a ride aswell. She hasn't been on a bike with me in over a year and was pretty hesitant, but after a 280km Ceres, Op die berg, Katbakkies, Tankwa Padstal and back through Ceres Sunday ride she's caught the bug again with me. Now she's already starting to plan longer weekend trips.

I've even started using the bike for some work trips now and again. Did a biggish ride last Tuesday from Worcester to Malgas, the new Pond is not in operation yet so I had to go all the way round to Buffeljags and down to Witsand and back to Worcester again through Swellendam.

I wish I'd found this adventure riding thing more appealing earlier on, could have been enjoying this lifestyle long ago already.

Here are a few pics taken over the past month or so.

Those GS's are such awesome bikes.  Cannot fault them. Super Comfy, amazing on long trips and on gravel. and the best part... you don't feel any wind. Just talking about it and seeing your pics makes me miss my gs :(

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those GS's are such awesome bikes. Cannot fault them. Super Comfy, amazing on long trips and on gravel. and the best part... you don't feel any wind. Just talking about it and seeing your pics makes me miss my gs :(

I'm not very tall, but I do take a bit of wind even over the taller screen, a lot less than on my previous DR600 thought.

At an combined weight of approximately 200kg for the wife and I a 1200GS might have been more powerful, but I'm not keen on lugging that heavy bike around and I haven't felt the 800 to be underpowered yet, other than when riding with the bigger bikes at speed on tar. However I did not buy the bike for this purpose, I have GSXR 750 for going fast.

I felt the 800gs would be the best midway between a light dual sport and a big adventure bike and I got exactly what I bargained for![emoji108]

So took my boy to go riding at Zone7 in Cape Town this past Sunday. Even though his bike started developing a feuling issue the little guy was extremely chuffed to have finally ridden here.

I also had the F800GS on the bakkie but was told at the gate that my bike would not be suitable for the enduro track, so on the bakkie it stayed. 1a6ddf01ad1ea5516c7298203d43ed82.jpgea0948925b448ae4e6d8e2d6fa297b64.jpg626a20cef47eccec081e41f8397a7047.jpgd4335a82137b8a9d9b7712eb3d85914b.jpg

So took my boy to go riding at Zone7 in Cape Town this past Sunday. Even though his bike started developing a feuling issue the little guy was extremely chuffed to have finally ridden here.

I also had the F800GS on the bakkie but was told at the gate that my bike would not be suitable for the enduro track, so on the bakkie it stayed. 1a6ddf01ad1ea5516c7298203d43ed82.jpgea0948925b448ae4e6d8e2d6fa297b64.jpg626a20cef47eccec081e41f8397a7047.jpgd4335a82137b8a9d9b7712eb3d85914b.jpg

Zone 7 is looking nice! Haven't been there for years since I sold my KTM back in 2012...  :(  Man, I miss that bike!! 

This looks like fun for those of us in Cape Town - free spin on a Royal Enfield anyone?

https://www.facebook.com/1210844572306352/posts/3407640729293381/

Edit: website link doesn't seem to show on the post?

Ride a Royal Enfield for free!
Kick-off your weekend with an iconic Royal Enfield experience! We invite all motorcycle enthusiasts to join us on a Saturday morning coffee ride.
We will take you on a short but beautiful morning ride (if weather permits) through town, passing Table Mountain and along the curvy coastal road towards Oudekraal where we will stop for a coffee & chat.
After our coffee break, we will head back along Camps Bay & Sea Point, and where you can enjoy the rest of your Saturday at the Neighbourgoods Market with a sumptuous lunch, live music and drinks!
- - - - - - - -
WHERE | WHEN | HOW - The details!
Grab a first coffee and meet us at our RETZA pop-up shop at 9am @ the Neighbourgoods Market at the Old Biscuit Mill in Woodstock. After getting an intro to your bike & signing an indemnity form, we are ready to take off!
All you need to bring is your valid motorcycle license and a big smile! We provide helmets & jackets, but feel free to bring your own gear!
--> We love to spread happiness hence the Royal Enfield, petrol & coffee are included in your experience!
- - - - - - - -
HOW: we have limited spots available on first come, first serve basis! Drop us a message at info@retza.co.za or WhatsApp us at 073 787 0071 to reserve your slot.
*The ride might be cancelled in case of bad weather or at the discretion of the RETZA team. Cancellations will be announced on our social media pages, and if you've registered for the ride, we will inform you personally.
Edited by Stoffel76

This looks like fun for those of us in Cape Town - free spin on a Royal Enfield anyone?

https://www.facebook.com/1210844572306352/posts/3407640729293381/

Edit: website link doesn't seem to show on the post?

Ride a Royal Enfield for free!
Kick-off your weekend with an iconic Royal Enfield experience! We invite all motorcycle enthusiasts to join us on a Saturday morning coffee ride.
We will take you on a short but beautiful morning ride (if weather permits) through town, passing Table Mountain and along the curvy coastal road towards Oudekraal where we will stop for a coffee & chat.
After our coffee break, we will head back along Camps Bay & Sea Point, and where you can enjoy the rest of your Saturday at the Neighbourgoods Market with a sumptuous lunch, live music and drinks!
- - - - - - - -
WHERE | WHEN | HOW - The details!
Grab a first coffee and meet us at our RETZA pop-up shop at 9am @ the Neighbourgoods Market at the Old Biscuit Mill in Woodstock. After getting an intro to your bike & signing an indemnity form, we are ready to take off!
All you need to bring is your valid motorcycle license and a big smile! We provide helmets & jackets, but feel free to bring your own gear!
--> We love to spread happiness hence the Royal Enfield, petrol & coffee are included in your experience!
- - - - - - - -
HOW: we have limited spots available on first come, first serve basis! Drop us a message at info@retza.co.za or WhatsApp us at 073 787 0071 to reserve your slot.
*The ride might be cancelled in case of bad weather or at the discretion of the RETZA team. Cancellations will be announced on our social media pages, and if you've registered for the ride, we will inform you personally.

Hoping they do a similar event in Jhb........

Please share if you see them doing one up here

Saw a mint RZ350R this morning Blouberg at the Big Bay traffic circle, going out towards Melkbos.

Was jabbering like a fool, could see the look of surprise on some of the cyclist with me, especialy one lady in particular.  :D

Had to be in Struisbaai for work on Monday and decided to take the bike.

Wind was a bit crappy, but enjoyed the ride none the less.

*I learned two new valuable things on this trip.

On a previous work trip I ended up coming home in the dark and realized that the chrome reflective part of my headlight was burned to sh@t. A replacement unit is extremely expensive so I decided to fit a decent pair of spotlights instead.

*On Monday's ride I officially tested the spots out for the first time and they made an hell of a difference. I could actually see where I was going in the dark instead of only relying on the reflection of the cat eyes in the road from my shoddy OEM light.

*I also decide to use ear plugs for the entire ride and this also made the worlds difference. Previously I felt extremely fatigued from having to concentrate very hard in the poor light as well as having "ringing ears" from the wind on the helmet.

This time round I was much more relaxed with better lighting and some ear protection.

Oh and I also got a m@erse surprise coming round a bend in the dark.....9ea4fe6c955d5ae79ac3a9946665d5d4.jpgd54feb5c5661233508de1db3e5f505c4.jpg4a7f5f1571c67dd73b2f52ed18d8a48b.jpg53d9ba0138a0404314de50b2da02e8e5.jpg

On a previous work trip I ended up coming home in the dark and realized that the chrome reflective part of my headlight was burned to sh@t. A replacement unit is extremely expensive so I decided to fit a decent pair of spotlights instead.

*On Monday's ride I officially tested the spots out for the first time and they made an hell of a difference. I could actually see where I was going in the dark instead of only relying on the reflection of the cat eyes in the road from my shoddy OEM light.

*I also decide to use ear plugs for the entire ride and this also made the worlds difference. Previously I felt extremely fatigued from having to concentrate very hard in the poor light as well as having "ringing ears" from the wind on the helmet.

This time round I was much more relaxed with better lighting and some ear protection.

Oh and I also got a m@erse surprise coming round a bend in the dark.....9ea4fe6c955d5ae79ac3a9946665d5d4.jpgd54feb5c5661233508de1db3e5f505c4.jpg4a7f5f1571c67dd73b2f52ed18d8a48b.jpg53d9ba0138a0404314de50b2da02e8e5.jpg

People underestimate the value in a good set of earplugs.

I think earplugs are essential to protect your ears. I have tinnitus and it's a shocker. I wonder how folk use intercoms and stuff though?

Quick question followed by a tip:

Which ear plugs do you use?

Tip: I have tried many, including bike-specific ear plugs from bike shops and find the simple cone-shaped plugs from Dischem to be the best. And by far the cheapest.

Tip no2: Inset them with the wide part into your ear with the point sticking out. It seems counter-intuitive but you will find it is the most effective. Squeeze them to a narrow width, insert and then listen as the sound disappears as they expand. Bliss. Haha

Edited by sawystertrance

I once came around a corner just before dawn's crack only to have to avoid a porcupine (quite a big mofo) that was crossing the road. I would not want to connect the pointy end of one of those at any sort of speed.

I think earplugs are essential to protect your ears. I have tinnitus and it's a shocker. I wonder how folk use intercoms and stuff though?

Quick question followed by a tip:

Which ear plugs do you use?

Tip: I have tried many, including bike-specific ear plugs from bike shops and find the simple cone-shaped plugs from Dischem to be the best. And by far the cheapest.

Tip no2: Inset them with the wide part into your ear with the point sticking out. It seems counter-intuitive but you will find it is the most effective. Squeeze them to a narrow width, insert and then listen as the sound disappears as they expand. Bliss. Haha

I got an orange foam pair a while ago at a local agri/ammo supplier, think they were something like R10. I had read somewhere about the benefits of ear plugs and when I saw them for that price I decided to see what the hype is about.

Having seen/felt the benefit of using them now I will look for something proper. These foam ones dont fit so nice in my ear, they pop out easily. I want to see if I can find something more rubbery and similar in shape to my Samsung earphones.