Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People underestimate the value in a good set of earplugs.

I migh have my Hubbers confused, but I think you've posted before that you have a custom set of ear plugs.

I think that post was one of the first things that got me thinking about ear protection. Also there was a interview on the Gravel Travel Podcast with a lady who gave a little insight into why ear protection is actually a necessity.

I migh have my Hubbers confused, but I think you've posted before that you have a custom set of ear plugs.

I think that post was one of the first things that got me thinking about ear protection. Also there was a interview on the Gravel Travel Podcast with a lady who gave a little insight into why ear protection is actually a necessity.

That was indeed me. Noise Clippers that are moulded to your ears. I recently made an appointment with an audiologist and confirmed that I have noise induced hearing loss (similar results from the annual test at work just this time from a professional and not an occupational nurse).

I use them when I ride. You can't get your hearing back once it's gone.

That was indeed me. Noise Clippers that are moulded to your ears. I recently made an appointment with an audiologist and confirmed that I have noise induced hearing loss (similar results from the annual test at work just this time from a professional and not an occupational nurse).

The Christmas tree ones also work but you can hear your helmet comms better with the Noise Clippers

I got an orange foam pair a while ago at a local agri/ammo supplier, think they were something like R10. I had read somewhere about the benefits of ear plugs and when I saw them for that price I decided to see what the hype is about.

Having seen/felt the benefit of using them now I will look for something proper. These foam ones dont fit so nice in my ear, they pop out easily. I want to see if I can find something more rubbery and similar in shape to my Samsung earphones.

Just use well chewed bubblegum. [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Good to hear - I have tinnitus and riding does not help it but my ear holes seem too small for the foam plugs, even well rolled, squeezed and licked that thing will just not go in far enough (the ear plugs that is  :cursing: ) so a moulded set may be the answer.

Good to hear - I have tinnitus and riding does not help it but my ear holes seem too small for the foam plugs, even well rolled, squeezed and licked that thing will just not go in far enough (the ear plugs that is  :cursing: ) so a moulded set may be the answer.

I had that problem too until I put them in "backwards". Makes sense actually because the widest part of the plug is in your ear where it should be, not sticking out doing nothing. I squash them up and push them in quite far and can actually hear them expanding to fill the ear canal.

Good to hear - I have tinnitus and riding does not help it but my ear holes seem too small for the foam plugs, even well rolled, squeezed and licked that thing will just not go in far enough (the ear plugs that is :cursing: ) so a moulded set may be the answer.

I also suffer from tinnitus. Any audiologist will be able to make a custom set with interchangeable filters. Mine have the 28dB filters which "clip" 28dB off ambient noise apparently. In an factory environment you are still able to have a conversation. You can also get motorcycle specific filters.

Soooooo.  I while back I posted my 125LC on FB to sell it.  I wasn't really using it because it was very original so I didn't want to spoil it, and I was hankering after an A/C DT175 that I could play with and do some modifications on.  I had some interest, but I soon realised that most people want 1) DT/RZ50's because that's what they had at school, and 2) when they turned 17 and got "big bike" licences, they went straight for bigger bikes.  So the DT125LC isn't really on anyone's radar (unless you owned one, which not many did).  There's also quite a few nice 125LC's out there - so while mine is nice and original, it is a bit tatty and people either want R10k bikes which they can fix up themselves, or R30k bikes which are already restored.  My R15K bike is somewhere in between.  There's also a glut of red and white bikes, so mine kind of gets lost in the herd.  So what to do?

I have 2/3rds of another LC, which importantly includes a spare tank, rear mudguard, seat, plastics, and a few other pieces - which is important to this story, because If I can't sell the DT I might as well scrap the 175 idea (they are overpriced anyway) and do something radical with this one.  So yesterday I pulled the trigger on the first of a few parts which I'm hoping will turn my cooking DT into something really different.  DC plastics here we come.....

post-15215-0-29612300-1602833240_thumb.jpg

yup....I'm turning my 82 DT125LC into an 82 YZ125LC replica.....

That looks sweet. Please post finished pics.

That looks sweet. Please post finished pics.

Without a doubt!  It's going to be a slowish process because I'm going to try and make it as authentic as possible - the plan is to create a something Yamaha would have done if they had released a DT125 in YZ colours.  So gold rims definitely, and then a few small touches to give it the YZ look without pushing the costs up too much.

Best part is, I will keep all the original Red and white parts so if I do one day want to take it back to original, I can.

yup....I'm turning my 82 DT125LC into an 82 YZ125LC replica.....

Awesome Andy. I can smell the two stroke from here.