Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Itchy Boots is in SA!

Damn that's cool! Sad that she went for the 250 tho, practical but way too underpowered to enjoy what SA has to offer!!!

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My thooghts too. It seems budget was an issue which surprises me but it reaffirms her basic biker values where riding is the top priority and not having the most expensive bike.

I have an idea in mind about what the best bike would have been for her and would be keen to hear your opinions. I think a KTM 790 would have been best or Honda NC750X but both, I'm sure, were outside her budget range.  

I am sure her disposable income must have taken a massive knock after having to stop her South America's trip and any other plans thanks to Covid.

Damn that's cool! Sad that she went for the 250 tho, practical but way too underpowered to enjoy what SA has to offer!!!

It is cool but something like the Honda 300 recently launched in SA may have been a better bet?  I think if you avoid freeways and carrying too much luggages a 250/300/350 is fine; subject to gearing.

My thooghts too. It seems budget was an issue which surprises me but it reaffirms her basic biker values where riding is the top priority and not having the most expensive bike.

I have an idea in mind about what the best bike would have been for her and would be keen to hear your opinions. I think a KTM 790 would have been best or Honda NC750X but both, I'm sure, were outside her budget range.  

Also, if riding alone, important (I think) to be able to pick your bike up.  KTM 790 and Yamaha 700 could be marginal.

She did a good few trips on a RE Himalayan .... so surely the Honda will be faster and stronger :P

Amazing :clap:  :clap:  :clap: . And before Wakefield sees this.... one finger on that clutch :D

Man I hope my little one takes to bikes like this too. 

Ah, finger on the clutch debate... the sand can get very soft here which is very difficult on the 65's. Around a new track like AD they need to clutch out the sand when needed. Around Dubai, it pretty packed so won't touch the clutch. 

Mike Docherty and Clayton Enslin have been helping coach a bit so he's in good hands. Every now and then Sean Gaugain will come down and put his input. (Which is usually just go faster). 

Do any of you ride a Triumph Bonneville T100 ... the air cooled or later model water cooled versions?

Seems like Yamaha have followed in the footsteps of KTM with an exclusive riding event.

Tenere 700 Tour 2021: Top of the South

In the event "Passport" they say riders MUST have a Tenere 700 to enter the event. That's even More exclusive then KTM's Adventure Rallye, which used to be for 640 Adventures and up, but now even includes the 390 Adventure as an eligible participating motorcycle.

I must say, If was wealthy enough to have forked out $50,000 odd on a KTM 450 Rally, and they wouldn't let me participate, but someone on a 390 Adventure could, I'd be a little miffed. Fortunately though I will probably never find myself in that position :lol:

There's a tried and trusted option here...

The KTM 500 EXC-F (or Husky FE501).

20190811_162121-01_resized.jpg

Aaron Steinmann

maxresdefault.jpg

Adam Riemann & Co

MASSIVELY capable offroad, powerful yet light weight. Pretty simplistic (and easy to service). Loads of aftermarket accessories for long range travel. And despite the stigma for being "highly strung race machines" the 500's are actually pretty "tractorlike" and keep chugging along.

The downsides... cost and comfort. Comfort can be overcome with aftermarket parts (seat-concepts seat, steg pegz, rally fairing. Cost is still an obstacle though, however the 2014-2016 models lend themselves well to the lightweight adventure setup due to the 19L Acerbis fuel tank that is available. So buying a 2021 model isn't necessarily the best.

And yes, as mentioned, there's a precedent. Adam Riemann has done 3 self supported (and filmed) motonomad adventures on KTM 500s. Then there's Kiwi Aaron Steinmann who has ridden all over the world on his trusty 2015 KTM 500. That's more than 125,000km.

So yeah, a kitted out Husky 501 would be my pic.

Edited by patches

Good choice. There's a guy locally here who travelsa lot on a KTM 500 and swears by it. I think though that  she had 2 limiting factors which perhaps you haven''t considered: 

Availability.

Price.

It seems she did some research and deceided which suppliers to use and from then it was a  matter of finding something in their stock.

As a matter of interest, what is the local cost of a (used) Husky 501?

Good choice. There's a guy locally here who travelsa lot on a KTM 500 and swears by it. I think though that  she had 2 limiting factors which perhaps you haven''t considered: 

Availability.

Price.

It seems she did some research and deceided which suppliers to use and from then it was a  matter of finding something in their stock.

As a matter of interest, what is the local cost of a (used) Husky 501?

I love how she thinks all the places so far are nice and the accommodation is awesome ............ just wait till she gets to Cape Town :clap:  :whistling:   :ph34r:

I love how she thinks all the places so far are nice and the accommodation is awesome ............ just wait till she gets to Cape Town :clap:  :whistling:   :ph34r:

Ou groot bek ...   :whistling:

Just on the Honda CRF250L, I did two overnight adventure rides on a mate's wife's one. I don't get much change from 100kg and for the most part we didn't stick to the beaten track. A full days riding from tar to goat paths with some rock gardens thrown in for fun and the two fiddy held its own.

The only thing that let it down was the suspension, power and smallish tank. Suspension was not progressive enough and a I had a few bottom outs. No adjustment except if you change springs as far as I know. Little bit under powered (a hill climb caught me out. Usually hit it in 2nd on the bigger bike. 1st on the Honda would have worked better...) To be fair, I was asking a lot though.

For easy cruising and a bit of fun off road tech it is more than capable. Not as hard as a KTM but the people that buy them probably have no Dakar aspirations and don't like the taste of Koolaid... Quite a few people on the Choob that use them for adventure type trips. Cheapish, light and Honda reliable and it will do 155 with a tailwind and enough negative gradient [emoji41]

Ah, finger on the clutch debate... the sand can get very soft here which is very difficult on the 65's. Around a new track like AD they need to clutch out the sand when needed. Around Dubai, it pretty packed so won't touch the clutch.

Mike Docherty and Clayton Enslin have been helping coach a bit so he's in good hands. Every now and then Sean Gaugain will come down and put his input. (Which is usually just go faster).

Best thing you can ever do is have the lightie coached by someone else. Mixing being dad and coach so often leads to heartache especially if there is talent to be unlocked.