Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, I like Cafe racers... What I wouldn't give

(1983 XJ750)4cd370c3b67ec097c2505cdc0a0b7d14.jpg

I grew up on a diet of Ogri and agree with you that they look great. I suspect, though, that reality of riding them in real life in traffic, wind, over bumps or even just a decent distance would be somewhat different. Especially for me with my pper body weight on my wrists.

I grew up on a diet of Ogri and agree with you that they look great. I suspect, though, that reality of riding them in real life in traffic, wind, over bumps or even just a decent distance would be somewhat different. Especially for me with my pper body weight on my wrists.

and the big long streak of wet road dirt on your back after riding on wet roads 

Very true... I suspect they fit into a very specific lifestyle/routine where you have the environment and time to enjoy them

In the end, then it'll just be better to have more cycling stuff!

Oh yes. These bikes are really pretty and good for going local. Beachfront, coffee shop or some such but traffic is a killer so I think it would be an exercise in frustration. 

Pity we don't have an Ace Cafe. Business idea, perhaps?

I still call some people cahns.... :clap:

Oh yes. These bikes are really pretty and good for going local. Beachfront, coffee shop or some such but traffic is a killer so I think it would be an exercise in frustration. 

I have thought - for some years now - that Cape Town could REALLY do with an ACE Café-type of establishment, not dissimilar to the Dairy Queen drive-thru's of my youth...

I think Deus Garage/Cafe tried to do something SIMILAR (Bikes, Bicycles and Surfing), but suffer somewhat from no SIGNIFICANT car park out front - guys and girls want to watch/see their bikes, etc...

Somebody, please, catering for cyclists, runners and motorbikes, so vintage display of all 3, and great, affordable non-poser grub!

Chris

i go to the Ace fairly often. ITs 40 miles from my house and its a crap ride up the M25/M4 . 

However, its a very cool place.and i just enjoy chilling and having a pint in the hot english sun/coffee in winter and chatting to other reprobates. People are incredibly friendly. Friday nights are chaos with ppl wheeling up and down , doughnuts etc. Like a bike rally. But plod dont like them doing this and Ace is at risk of losing its trading licence due to the anti social behaviour. 

My in laws in the late 50's/early 60's used to go to the Ace on the old mans Triumph or BSA. They lived in Luton and made the trip down. So I have history there so to speak. Took my lad there a month or so ago, only does takeaways at the minute but at least he knows it now. 

It was closed for about 20 years and restarted early 90's. The Ace is not a cafe , its a mindset. Can create an Ace anywhere but the mindset is whats important. It also does a lot of functions for different car clubs, bike makes etc etc etc.

Very cool place and whenever i have mates come visit a visit is a must. next time i go i can take pics and post here if any interest. 

Edit: Does anyone remember the old Pure and Cool meets?

Edited by IceCreamMan

My claim to fame is that when I was short of work - and my girlfriend started getting very agitated about it - I registered to do manual work and spent a week or so painting the railings outside the Ace. Beaut colour and very professional job I must add. 

I have thought - for some years now - that Cape Town could REALLY do with an ACE Café-type of establishment, not dissimilar to the Dairy Queen drive-thru's of my youth...

I think Deus Garage/Cafe tried to do something SIMILAR (Bikes, Bicycles and Surfing), but suffer somewhat from no SIGNIFICANT car park out front - guys and girls want to watch/see their bikes, etc...

Somebody, please, catering for cyclists, runners and motorbikes, so vintage display of all 3, and great, affordable non-poser grub!

Chris

From my perspective, living in Sea Point the ride there was a mixed bag and while the coast road always used to be a great ride, nowdays it's full of cyclists riding 3 or 4 abreast or just stopping when they feel like it. Added to that was the taxi problem in Hout Bay so it ended up not being a great occasion. For me, anyway.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by sawystertrance

My claim to fame is that when I was short of work - and my girlfriend started getting very agitated about it - I registered to do manual work and spent a week or so painting the railings outside the Ace. Beaut colour and very professional job I must add. 

On friday nights that entire area outside the Ace is heaving with ppl, all the way up the pedestrian bridge too. Its crazy. 

Speaking of Ace, old cahn Kahn has from october extended the ULEZ area up to the north circular so if i go to Ace i might be liable for that charge on my old bikes. that might cause a dip in punters for the ACE in future as most ppl who go are old codgers like me with old motorbikes

From my perspective, living in Sea Point the ride there was a mixed bag and while the coast road always used to be a great ride, nowadays it's full of cyclists riding 3 or 4 abreast or just stopping when they feel like it. Added to that was the taxi problem in Hout Bay so it ended up not being a great location. For me, anyway.

this morning was particularly bad, but I bit my tongue, kept off the hooter (short: I am passing 'toot', and NOT 'share the road, Douche-bag' :) ), and sat behind a big, fractured group as slower riders passed faster riders up Maidens Cove, part of the group STOPPED to take selfies at the kerb, (but not on the kerb) forcing the other part of their group past...

...it really was a 'mess' of cyclists THIS morning; I commute in by bicycle - alone - 2x per week, but the other 3 days I drive in, and SINCE Covid, cycling has exploded - a GOOD thing, but some of the riding simply ignores basic etiquette, and the riding 2 or 3 abreast, and then EXTREMELY wide of the parked cars, as if there were potholes and manhole covers lurking, it DOES make commuting in a van 'challenging'....

As I said, I bit my tongue. And wished I was on a bike!

Edited by Zebra

Chris

Probably need to have a 100% vegan menu in CPT............. :nuke:  :nuke:

Chris

Ok that is gross .... vintage running gear = old smelly takkies :P

this morning was particularly bad, but I bit my tongue, kept off the hooter (short: I am passing 'toot', and NOT 'share the road, Douche-bag' :) ), and sat behind a big, fractured group as slower riders passed faster riders up Maidens Cove, part of the group STOPPED to take selfies at the kerb, (but not on the kerb) forcing the other part of their group past...

...it really was a 'mess' of cyclists THIS morning; I commute in by bicycle - alone - 2x per week, but the other 3 days I drive in, and SINCE Covid, cycling has exploded - a GOOD thing, but some of the riding simply ignores basic etiquette, and the riding 2 or 3 abreast, and then EXTREMELY wide of the parked cars, as if there were potholes and manhole covers lurking, it DOES make commuting in a van 'challenging'....

As I said, I bit my tongue. And wished I was on a bike!

Slow riders being passed and taking selfies ... this must have been Team Pure Savage :P