Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

I’ve had fast bikes, nippy bikes, and a Harley. The Harley was not slow in a straight line, but it was the slowest and least practical of all my bikes. Despite that, it put the biggest smile on my face when I started her up on a cold morning and those Vance and Hines straight pipes did their thing. Pretty sure everyone else hated me though.

Harleys are not practical bikes, they are not fast, they are heavy, but like any toy - if it puts a smile on your face - it’s the right toy.

Sounds perfect .......... kind of like owning a single speed ... 

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve had fast bikes, nippy bikes, and a Harley. The Harley was not slow in a straight line, but it was the slowest and least practical of all my bikes. Despite that, it put the biggest smile on my face when I started her up on a cold morning and those Vance and Hines straight pipes did their thing. Pretty sure everyone else hated me though.

Harleys are not practical bikes, they are not fast, they are heavy, but like any toy - if it puts a smile on your face - it’s the right toy.

My Harley refuses to start on cold mornings even upgraded battery from standard harley 200 CCA to 240 CCA an still refuses. Does not even crank properly. Temperamental. Think next step might be a lithium battery with 275 CCA.

By cold I mean minus temps overnight an even with optimate on just won’t start. One should never only have a Harley unless in moderate climes.

Better start this morning. Taking a ride to the Chalet cafe in Cowfold. Lekker ole school transport cafe.

My Harley refuses to start on cold mornings even upgraded battery from standard harley 200 CCA to 240 CCA an still refuses. Does not even crank properly. Temperamental. Think next step might be a lithium battery with 275 CCA.

By cold I mean minus temps overnight an even with optimate on just won’t start. One should never only have a Harley unless in moderate climes.

Better start this morning. Taking a ride to the Chalet cafe in Cowfold. Lekker ole school transport cafe.

Haha yeah cold is a relative term... I owned mine in Pretoria and Western Cape and it was in a garage, hardly ever below or approaching 0, and when it was I’d rather take the car or bicycle anyway. I can imagine it would struggle in very cold temps.

Get it off the concrete and stand it over a thick rubber mat.

Regarding the MT build so far work done.

Rebuilt carb twice.

Spent day refurbishing exhaust.

Spent loads of time on surface rust.

Cleaned every nook and cranny. ( many hours)

Replaced mirrors as only had one.

Replaced brake cable front.

Replaced fuel line an overflow. Bling bling.

Repsrayed sprocket cover.

Spent many hours on wheels and spokes to remove rust. Many more hours needed.

Serviced. Replaced air filter, oil a plug

Resprayed handle bars an yoke.

Realigned mud guard

More stuff I forget.

Today I took off rear wheel. Cleaned. Replaced brakes an sprayed brake cover and holding rod.

Tomorrow the front brake an putting rubber covers on forks.

Still to do.

Recover seat. Bought MT5 cover so just need stapler.

Resoray tank an tail section. Pro doing that.

Respray motor

Powder coat frame an swingarm. This I will do as a next winter project

MOT and then join a moped gang.

So. All in gonna be around 1600 quid an 100 hours. Enjoyable an looking to start another project soon.

post-58227-0-35665100-1619277073_thumb.jpeg

post-58227-0-75895900-1619277135_thumb.jpeg

Edited by IceCreamMan

Got the seat back on Monday so fitted it last night. That's pretty much it now. I must put the numberplate on and the mirrors at some stage but I've been a bit busy so haven't really had a chance.

And the Silencer needs to be finished, but I have to actually ride it first before I do that :whistling:

I don't remember the DT rear mudguards looking like yours?

Today’s work. New brake shoes front an fork protectors for houding. The old ones are HM parts which I suspect are the originals sinful to toss em so will see if I can get them redone. In the old days it was possible but not sure it is in 2021 Blighty. One of my neighbours popped by for a chat. He been watching me restore this bike. He had an 1980 model in his youth an was telling me all the mischief they used to get up to. Reckons he toured England with his mate at 30 mph. He asked if they can still be bought. As luck would have it there is an 80s model on marketplace in our area. He gone to make a call. So. Some work coming my way to refresh it. I said I would do it for free he just pays for parts if needed. He insisted that he pays so after a lil haggle where I said a pound an hour an a beer in the pub we settled on minimum wage ???? but from the pics it looks much better than mine so I said 15 hours tops. Hope he gets it.

Decided to dedicate this build to 69. Gonna have a sticker lacquered on the tank once done too.

post-58227-0-35208100-1619343335_thumb.jpeg

post-58227-0-74461900-1619343353_thumb.jpeg

post-58227-0-36997100-1619343365_thumb.jpeg

post-58227-0-51694800-1619343380_thumb.jpeg

post-58227-0-58591700-1619343397_thumb.jpeg

Edited by IceCreamMan

Lovely day out. Need to get some loctite for the damn battery terminals. Second time today that only the negative works itself loose.

Hairy will have a fit when he sees this

Lovely day out. Need to get some loctite for the damn battery terminals. Second time today that only the negative works itself loose.

With the sporty in the back I assume this was a father and son ride?

With the sporty in the back I assume this was a father and son ride?

The sporty is my son in laws bike. My son has a Triumph Daytona 675R. My laatie was filling up when I took the pic.

The sporty is my son in laws bike. My son has a Triumph Daytona 675R. My laatie was filling up when I took the pic.

Flip ... a really good outing then!