Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

"Fortunately I would not have to rely on the HD as my primary form of transport." 

I just wanted to be clear on this. I didn't mean having a HD as a primary form of transport. I meant having it as your only bike and primary form of 2 wheeled transport. 

Take your point about having bicycles which made no sense but gave you joy. I suppose motorcycling doesn't make sense in many respects but is for a sure a source of joy and the secret is to find it for yourself. 

When's the first ride?

Busy on a project now that I need to complete in order to get to the final figure I need for the bike. This will roll on for a month, maybe two pending how things go.

Then with cash in hand I would have to hope the right bike is available or will have to exercise the my non existent patience till the right one is available.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool, whats the back story on this bike?

The bike was bought by a friend of mine as an incomplete project from a guy in Cape Town a few years ago.  It arrived in Joburg and the tins were sent to Custom Studios in Boksburg to be repainted, check out their Facebook page, they do phenomenal work - https://www.facebook.com/Custom-Studio-252088984904481/ - The pictures don't do it justice, the paint is a white pearl, the flags on the side of the tank and rear hump have a 3D effect to them.

It ended up with me to update some of the lights, the rear light cluster was too modern for the look of the bike, fix some of the wiring, sort some leaks, rebuild carbs, etc. and has stayed with me ever since.  My mate kind of lost interest in the bikes, and has never even ridden the BMW.  It has been standing in my garage for at least 2 years, taking up space.  We decided a few weeks ago that it needs to be serviced, and will soon be put up for sale.  

It's a great bike for what it is.  Short hops, Cafe to Cafe.  It is an old bike, with plenty go (it is an R100, so 980cc), but the braking and cornering are 80's.  Air cooled, you don't want to stand still and have it idling between your legs for too long.  It does however turn heads and gets a lot of attention wherever it stops.

I'll miss it, but am looking out for a new project, want to build a board tracker based on a modern scrambler...  

Traded my 765 in on the harley. That 765 is a barrel of laughs but i realised i was either going to lose my licence or my life on it ... it was an insane little bike given the power and the weight.

I would wheelie it off the throttle in second from traffic lights .. made me laugh ... hooligan factor goes to 11. Plod on the island dont have a sense of humour.

the new 1200 must be on another level of insanity

Yep, I have ridden that 765R. Unbelievable little bike. Agree on the 1200.

My Harley is my only bike. Furthest I have ridden it in one go is just over 400 km so a round trip of almost 800km. No issues for me. I also don't plan on doing 1000km per day trips either.

I can hustle my Wide Glide through passes and corners quicker than some sportbike riders.

So what I am saying is, at this point in my life, it ticks all the right boxes. That's all that counts. I might sell it later or I might keep it. At this stage it is a keeper.

My Harley is my only bike. Furthest I have ridden it in one go is just over 400 km so a round trip of almost 800km. No issues for me. I also don't plan on doing 1000km per day trips either.

I can hustle my Wide Glide through passes and corners quicker than some sportbike riders.

So what I am saying is, at this point in my life, it ticks all the right boxes. That's all that counts. I might sell it later or I might keep it. At this stage it is a keeper.

On a long trip like that can I assume you overnight somewhere, and if so how did/do you deal with luggage.

Do you have panniers, or just strap down bags to your bike?

On a long trip like that can I assume you overnight somewhere, and if so how did/do you deal with luggage.

Do you have panniers, or just strap down bags to your bike?

I just strap a bag to the pillion seat and sissy bar. My sissy bar is quick release so I normally leave it off when I ride solo but put it back when using a bag.

I am thinking of having another sissy bar made. Pics in my next post as inspiration. Something about the pics that just make me want to head out for 2 weeks with no plan but just to ride.

Hairy, when I had my Harley it was my only bike. Previously had some converted MX bikes (450 and a 250), a Kawa 636 superbike, a Kawa ER6N and an F800GS.

I had no issues with the Harley as my only bike (a Wide Glide like Wayne’s). My intentions for it was similar to yours - weekend trips from 200 to 400km in a day, the occasional commute, and a few multi day trips. I strapped a bag to the sissy bar for those trips and had a removable windscreen (I still have it, and it’s yours mahala if you buy and HD and want it).

The Harley was not the most versatile bike - that would have to be the F800, but I never felt like I needed another bike. If I had to buy a Harley again it would probably be something that sits a bit more upright than the Wide Glide (maybe a Fat Boy or Fat Bob). But definitely fine as an only bike if your intention is not to commute daily - they are a bit cumbersome for that.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Hairy, when I had my Harley it was my only bike. Previously had some converted MX bikes (450 and a 250), a Kawa 636 superbike, a Kawa ER6N and an F800GS.

I had no issues with the Harley as my only bike (a Wide Glide like Wayne’s). My intentions for it was similar to yours - weekend trips from 200 to 400km in a day, the occasional commute, and a few multi day trips. I strapped a bag to the sissy bar for those trips and had a removable windscreen (I still have it, and it’s yours mahala if you buy and HD and want it).

The Harley was not the most versatile bike - that would have to be the F800, but I never felt like I needed another bike. If I had to buy a Harley again it would probably be something that sits a bit more upright than the Wide Glide (maybe a Fat Boy or Fat Bob). But definitely fine as an only bike if your intention is not to commute daily - they are a bit cumbersome for that.

That is a very generous offer to Hairy concerning the detachable screen. I use mine on the open road, around town I leave it off.

Flip GM, thank you very much and I will certainly be taking you up on the screen offer.

I will be buy a HD, that am certain of. The HD that feels the best to me when seated is the Fat Bob, and the Fat Boy funny enough ... so first place is the Fat Bob!

My neighbour has a Wide Glide, and it just did not feel the same as the Fat Bob did.

With regards to Sissy Bars ... these guys have slapped together a couple of them and done some fun builds.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-wm1rU5AgXvz3nAiRYyOHQ

So Hairy has An HD screen and is now looking for a bike to fit it to... Hhhmmmmmm

My last bike build, a Momsen STR SS fully rigid setup started off with a set of grips ...... so your logic is very sound :P

Flip GM, thank you very much and I will certainly be taking you up on the screen offer.

I will be buy a HD, that am certain of. The HD that feels the best to me when seated is the Fat Bob, and the Fat Boy funny enough ... so first place is the Fat Bob!

My neighbour has a Wide Glide, and it just did not feel the same as the Fat Bob did.

With regards to Sissy Bars ... these guys have slapped together a couple of them and done some fun builds.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-wm1rU5AgXvz3nAiRYyOHQ

My last bike build, a Momsen STR SS fully rigid setup started off with a set of grips ...... so your logic is very sound :P

Sounds like me, I bought a tyre compressor and then the 4x4 [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Thanks ... that is about as exciting as buying a Spaz Epic or a Giant Anthem or a Scott or a Trek or a PYGA or a Cannondale (Enter any other brand other than YT) 

Haha, clearly I don't get it (I have an Anthem). But good luck with your bike and make sure you enjoy it. That's what it's all about after all. 

I don't remember the DT rear mudguards looking like yours?

It's just because I didn't put the rear carrier back - I didn't think it was really necessary so it looks a bit long.

Also at some stage someone has broken off the rear number plate bracket and a new one is R2000 for a silly piece of plastic - I'm just using a smaller number plate bolted directly to the frame mount.

post-15215-0-07467400-1619607100_thumb.jpg