Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Insurance is a funny game

1st call this morning they quoted me higher than when I did provisional research without a license. They then quote me more, I argue this, and they note "oh, we see you have discounts applicable". Cool. Price is right and I say thank you.

Then I get the breakdown via email and see they have the model as a 2010 and 2008 model. I also noted a factory fitted alarm and immoboliser. Then they charge me a heck of a lot more. 

Get moved up to a supervisor. Go through the story. He notes that the 2008 is listed as more than the 2010 on their system and drops the price a fraction, but can not do more. So I have words with him and advise he can do more on my house and car insurance. (I already got the car reduced this morning again) .... he knocks a good bit off the house and some more off the car. 

All in, after they increased the bike insurance, and reduced the rest I am paying a decent bit less than what it was with the cheaper bike insurance :)

Go call your insurance co. now and have a word or two with them I say :)

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

1st call this morning they quoted me higher than when I did provisional research without a license. They then quote me more, I argue this, and they note "oh, we see you have discounts applicable". Cool. Price is right and I say thank you.

Then I get the breakdown via email and see they have the model as a 2010 and 2008 model. I also noted a factory fitted alarm and immoboliser. Then they charge me a heck of a lot more. 

Get moved up to a supervisor. Go through the story. He notes that the 2008 is listed as more than the 2010 on their system and drops the price a fraction, but can not do more. So I have words with him and advise he can do more on my house and car insurance. (I already got the car reduced this morning again) .... he knocks a good bit off the house and some more off the car. 

All in, after they increased the bike insurance, and reduced the rest I am paying a decent bit less than what it was with the cheaper bike insurance :)

I just had insurance replace a laptop. New laptop is valued at double the old laptop but the premium is lower with the same excess. ????

edit.

actually just thinking about this again, it was the same with my phone

Edited by ouzo

48 minutes ago, Hairy said:

There are a couple of guys on the Wilddogs site who are brokers. Perhaps try them? I think they will be competitive for fellow Wild Dawgs.

12 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

There are a couple of guys on the Wilddogs site who are brokers. Perhaps try them? I think they will be competitive for fellow Wild Dawgs.

Thanks, I will let this sit for a month or two and then review ... I did knock them down nicely and this is after a couple of reductions I negotiated over the last year too ... so I have worked them well.

Side note, I used to go back to the bank every 3 or so months and tell them I wanted a better interest rate, and they kept chipping away at the pricing ... eventually they said they were just not allowed to go any lower and it was already exceptionally low ???? .. so for this sort of thing I like to negotiate.

I won't ask a bike shop (motor or pedal) for a discount, but will and do accept them if they offer.

4 hours ago, Hairy said:

I was going to get my kit from them, but the shop I am buying the bike from gave me some solid discounts on the helmet, gloves and jacket.

Just make sure the helmet fits - not too big.

Don't worry about the mark on the fender - then you won't feel so bad when you drop it! ????

Don't go near Trac Mac - your wife will not appreciate further disruptions to your cash flow. And for that matter, don't go near Flying Brick either. ????

Petrol goes down in price next week ???? Ride carefully and have fun!

6 minutes ago, i24 said:

Just make sure the helmet fits - not too big.

Don't worry about the mark on the fender - then you won't feel so bad when you drop it! ????

Don't go near Trac Mac - your wife will not appreciate further disruptions to your cash flow. And for that matter, don't go near Flying Brick either. ????

Petrol goes down in price next week ???? Ride carefully and have fun!

Thanks !

I made sure the helmet was snug and watched a good many "How to make sure your helmet fits" vids over the last few months.....very nearly have a degree from the university of YouTube for mechanical design specifically on the HD engines and back yard mechanics.

On 5/27/2021 at 8:29 AM, IceCreamMan said:

This Guzzi V85 is stirring my soul a bit. I guess that is what the marketing is aimed at. Never have owned an itie bike but this may change with the V85. Ugly as sin but in a sexy way.

I have a 1979 V50 MkII. I bought it in about '83. Mine's a keeper and I think some of the parts are still interchangeable with the V85. Mine has excellent handling, good brakes and most parts still available. I import parts from https://www.stein-dinse.biz/. UK also has good on-line suppliers.

There is an online Guzzi forum, with many UK based participants at http://www.guzziriders.org/. Check them out if you are thinking about a V85.

2 minutes ago, i24 said:

I have a 1979 V50 MkII. I bought it in about '83. Mine's a keeper and I think some of the parts are still interchangeable with the V85. Mine has excellent handling, good brakes and most parts still available. I import parts from https://www.stein-dinse.biz/. UK also has good on-line suppliers.

There is an online Guzzi forum, with many UK based participants at http://www.guzziriders.org/. Check them out if you are thinking about a V85.

In my long path to getting a bike the MG's were also very appealing ... then the previous agents folded.

Now recently stumbled on these guys who are importing MG and Ducati parts, etc.

https://imicpt.com/

On 5/27/2021 at 10:54 AM, IceCreamMan said:

It has received some very good reviews. The only cons mentioned were the (lack of) power and its off-roadability. Neither of these really worry me as 79 gleaming horses is more than enough and i wont be doing the dakar on it.

Reading between the lines of the V85 reviews. I think the 6th gear is a genuine "overdrive". So it will cruise on the freeway at low revs on cruise control, all day. But if you need to unleash all 79 horses (or what remains of them by the time they get out of the shaft drive into the back tyre) to do some overtaking into a headwind, then you need to change down first.

But I have never seen a V85, let alone ridden one. I think the first one just arrived in SA and that was in Gauteng. So let us know what it is like if you try one out.

2 minutes ago, i24 said:

Reading between the lines of the V85 reviews. I think the 6th gear is a genuine "overdrive". So it will cruise on the freeway at low revs on cruise control, all day. But if you need to unleash all 79 horses (or what remains of them by the time they get out of the shaft drive into the back tyre) to do some overtaking into a headwind, then you need to change down first.

But I have never seen a V85, let alone ridden one. I think the first one just arrived in SA and that was in Gauteng. So let us know what it is like if you try one out.

I will be taking one out at some point, just not sure when. Dealer network is sketchy and demo stock even more so. Dealers wont let me ride new ones. 

4 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

Plus 100. Operator (Dewald) on Wild Dogs did a fantastic insurance deal on my Harley. Also helped my son with his Daytona.

On 5/28/2021 at 7:40 PM, IceCreamMan said:

Ace is gonna vibe tonight. 

What all are you able / do you carry in this bag?

image.png.5757daa02e3b5801d9d3454671046e5f.png

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

What all are you able / do you carry in this bag?

image.png.5757daa02e3b5801d9d3454671046e5f.png

Like a cowboy aint i.... :) 

I carry a pair of specs, a beanie for when its cold and a cap. Sometimes a small thermo of coffee. But it literally is more for houding. Roadster has absolutely no storage space so keep odds and ends in it. 

3 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Like a cowboy aint i.... :) 

I carry a pair of specs, a beanie for when its cold and a cap. Sometimes a small thermo of coffee. But it literally is more for houding. Roadster has absolutely no storage space so keep odds and ends in it. 

Do you carry form of tools with you?

#NoobLearningHere

Edited by Hairy