Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

16 hours ago, Hairy said:

So I "had to" go out during load shedding and am pleased to report that I had a GS rider and a Sports bike rider great me .......... being on a HD I obviously did not return the greeting :P .............. obviously I did return the greeting.

These guys never used to greet me when I was on a bicycle though....strange :)

The only reason GS riders never greet anyone is cause they can't find the menu option and button quick enough.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New day, new bike riding observation.

Took a drive out early this morning to Melkbos to buy pastries for breakfast. What a fantastic ride along the coast.

1. I parked in the gravel parking lot. Fiddling around the jiffy stand found good footing. Coming back to leave I had to try and push the fooking monster back out the bay with the loose gravel underfoot. Eventually got off and held the bars with one hand and pushed the bike back on the sissy bars.

2. Getting ready to leave, one guy who was looking at the bike when he came into Ou Muel says "Very nice bike" .... DAY MADE!

3. I had to high tail it back on the West Coast Road vs taking the scenic Coastal Road to make a last minute Zoom Meeting request ..... Wind at 120km feels about the same as wind at 140/150km. Going to be swinging past Mr Grease_Monkey to pick up a screen when I next go to site in Franschhoek on the bike, and I am sure it will be an interesting change.

4. Dorky saddle bags may be an option soon .... it will beat riding with a backpack.

Perfect cruising weather at the moment ???? I need to fire up my bikes again soon, they've been on trickle charge for too long.

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

Took a drive out early this morning to Melkbos to buy pastries for breakfast. What a fantastic ride along the coast.

1. I parked in the gravel parking lot. Fiddling around the jiffy stand found good footing. Coming back to leave I had to try and push the fooking monster back out the bay with the loose gravel underfoot. Eventually got off and held the bars with one hand and pushed the bike back on the sissy bars.

2. Getting ready to leave, one guy who was looking at the bike when he came into Ou Muel says "Very nice bike" .... DAY MADE!

3. I had to high tail it back on the West Coast Road vs taking the scenic Coastal Road to make a last minute Zoom Meeting request ..... Wind at 120km feels about the same as wind at 140/150km. Going to be swinging past Mr Grease_Monkey to pick up a screen when I next go to site in Franschhoek on the bike, and I am sure it will be an interesting change.

4. Dorky saddle bags may be an option soon .... it will beat riding with a backpack.

I have a quick detachable screen. Only use it when I hit the open road. Bike looks better without it. Town riding is fine without a screen.

On 6/3/2021 at 8:25 AM, sawystertrance said:

Yes, the torque and power to weight ratio of a bike is what hits the happy button. It's possibly the biggest kick, especially when pulling away from lights and getting away from traffic. 

I love that, and entering a motorway on the onramp when you can blitz ahead of almost anything. Assuming no jams of course.

19 hours ago, Hairy said:

Take a ride down to Pringle Bay, of course you know the road living down here but......awesome on the big V Twin. I was recently there and the sound reverberating of the mountains and of course great scenery encouraged me to slow down and enjoy it.

Franschoek Pass, beautiful, again a fine ride on my big Katoom but I prefer Outeniqua Pass on my Sports bikes, just me.

You will start to pick your parking spots with great care! Gravel, gradient, lean angle on the stand etc. 

Learn filtering and get confidence in it ( your choice obviously) Makes for much speedier progress in town. In George very few people filter, I know peeps have their own opinions but if a traffic light is red I try and get through to the front as soon as able so as to have the clear road when it turns green. Having recently ridden a few hundred kms in and around Cape Town and especially down the south ........mmmmmm, filtering is almost no option! Man the traffic is crazy!

When the open road grabs you for a Garden Route tour, pop by Hoekwil.

Congratulations on your bike, enjoy it!

Edited by Spokey
Spelling

5 hours ago, Spokey said:

Take a ride down to Pringle Bay, of course you know the road living down here but......awesome on the big V Twin. I was recently there and the sound reverberating of the mountains and of course great scenery encouraged me to slow down and enjoy it.

Franschoek Pass, beautiful, again a fine ride on my big Katoom but I prefer Outeniqua Pass on my Sports bikes, just me.

You will start to pick your parking spots with great care! Gravel, gradient, lean angle on the stand etc. 

Learn filtering and get confidence in it ( your choice obviously) Makes for much speedier progress in town. In George very few people filter, I know peeps have their own opinions but if a traffic light is red I try and get through to the front as soon as able so as to have the clear road when it turns green. Having recently ridden a few hundred kms in and around Cape Town and especially down the south ........mmmmmm, filtering is almost no option! Man the traffic is crazy!

Thanks for the info .... Hoekwil is just down the road from me!
image.png.c3628751cecf90e823d3e9f17acbdd17.png

6 hours ago, Spokey said:

Filtering is even better when loadshedding causes traffic chaos with robots not working. Makes it such a breeze and always puts a huge smile on my face.

11 minutes ago, WaynejG said:

Filtering is even better when loadshedding causes traffic chaos with robots not working. Makes it such a breeze and always puts a huge smile on my face.

Was going down Main Road in Woodstock this morning, traffic was super slow for those in cars, not for me ........ feels just as liberating as when I would cycle down that road.

On the way back I spotted a few cyclist riding into a light wind and looking like they were working hard ... my heart went out to them and then I thought "fook it" and just opened up the throttle and the wind was no issue ????.

I like the power assisted two wheel riding thing .... next move is a e-bike ????

Having had the bike now for a few days I am picking up a couple of issues.

The brake lever pin is missing the cir-clip that keeps it in place. You can just tap it and the pin pops out and the lever falls off.
The bike had exceptionally low levels of oil. It took nearly a full bottle to get her back to normal levels.
I had an engine and battery error running together. when going into the diagnostics it gave me the following errors as per below:
P - Engine module, Code: P0562 (System Low Voltage) and/or (P0562 Battery/ECM Voltage Low)
SP - Speedo module, Codes: b1006 (Accessory Line Overvoltage Instruments) and b1007 (Ignition Line Overvoltage Instruments)

Given the above error no. 3, if it was not an issue before, it could be the LED plate light that was added?

Besides these there were a couple of other codes I could not track down.
Pn 67204-04c
Pn 32920-07b
Pn 68925-07

Spoke to the bike shop this morning and he recons it is the LED license plate light that was connected. Harley Tech guy was there in the week before I bought the bike and he had all of the HD's on the floor on the HD computer for analysis and all HD's were clear.
Bike Shop guy says he had a similar issue on his HD too when he added LED goodies/lights.
He is going to get the HD Tech guy to the shop late afternoon this week so I can swing by and get it sorted. He will also replace the clip on the pin for the brake lever at the same time and recons the bike is safe to ride as it currently is.

Ai, sorry to hear of the teething problems and I hope they're sorted quickly and simply. And for free. Other than that, welcome to the world of biking. It seems there's aways a reason to tinker. Make sure you get on good terms with your mechanics. 

1 minute ago, sawystertrance said:

Ai, sorry to hear of the teething problems and I hope they're sorted quickly and simply. And for free. Other than that, welcome to the world of biking. It seems there's aways a reason to tinker. Make sure you get on good terms with your mechanics. 

I checked all the battery connections last night, had the seat off and cleanup / polished the metalwork here. Found that the shell of the seat is marring the paintwork, so touched this up and then put protective tape over the areas where there is contact. Was delving into innards a little more with by bike light to get more familiar RE what is going on.

I think the final goal here is that I will work on my own bikes (Yes I said bikes :P ) in the same way that I do my bicycles.

Bike shop was open and eager to resolve my issues, so I am sure there is no cost involved. Just called the HD dealers to see the cost of a liter HD V-Twin oil, and it is only R130.00, so that is not to bad I would think!

6 minutes ago, WaynejG said:

@Hairy

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-harley-trouble-codes.html

Not sure if you used this website as a reference for the error codes?

Thanks, used one of a multiple sources for the codes....but that page looks familiar.

Based on other users when they installed accessories they seemed to have picked up a similar code, and given that the bike shop noted he did have the HD Tech check the bike with his computer before I bought it, and it all checked out ok, makes me think it must be the tail light on the license plate that the bike shop fitted at the time of sale.

John Maxwell takes a bike onto his HD computer software and the info it produces is interesting RE what all it measures on the bike.