Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Hairy, modern vehicles are quite sensitive to voltage and resistance. I fitted a set of LED bulbs to my VW Polo's tail lights, starting throwing me an EPS warning on the instrument panel. Swopped the LED's back to standard bulbs, and no EPS warnings again. 

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some bikes have quirks to checking oil level.

The Yamaha TRX needs to get up to temp and then switched off, need to then check the level within like 30secs or the oil flows back to the lower sump.
On the Duke 390, you need to give it a vigorous side to side shake for some reason, as verified on MANY forum threads.

Depending on how much oil the Hardly takes, a litre seems like a lot!!
That would worry me more than the electrical gremlins.

31 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Some bikes have quirks to checking oil level.

The Yamaha TRX needs to get up to temp and then switched off, need to then check the level within like 30secs or the oil flows back to the lower sump.
On the Duke 390, you need to give it a vigorous side to side shake for some reason, as verified on MANY forum threads.

Depending on how much oil the Hardly takes, a litre seems like a lot!!
That would worry me more than the electrical gremlins.

It think the HD takes 2.8l at an oil change. I would say I use 650-700ml topping up. Did the check as per the user manual. The oil level did "irritate me a bit". The oil that was in the dip stick though is the same consistency as the new and there is no grit in it, so that would bode well.

Just popped around the corner now and the error did not show. 

The first time I really took note of the error I pulled over and started again, it was gone ... a couple of km later it came on again.

My Wide Glide manual has a hot and a cold check. Both ways the bike is on the side stand. I always check it cold because the dipstick plug sits on the bend of the V&H Big Radius exhaust and it gets flippen hot in that area 

27 minutes ago, WaynejG said:

My Wide Glide manual has a hot and a cold check. Both ways the bike is on the side stand. I always check it cold because the dipstick plug sits on the bend of the V&H Big Radius exhaust and it gets flippen hot in that area 

Same with mine.

I first checked cold on the side stand. Added oil to the right level.

Did a ride, and checked the hot oil level. It was still well low, so added a little more. Followed this up last night with another cold check and it looks spot on for the cold level.

I was meant to be at IOM this week but alas. Thus, armed with a week off and a bucket list item on the Mighty RF up to Scotland. 600 mile ride today to Inverness. Tomorrow NC 500 with a wild camp somewhere and a few days exploring this iconic road. And apologies. I ain’t in Oz 

EE08FD55-68E5-481B-A291-912BDEA0D2BF.jpeg

05DAF032-69A6-4844-981F-D90050D32AF1.jpeg

80B0A3D1-FA69-4A5C-B2F3-1BA220FB3250.jpeg

So I took another step forwards today.

Went out to town and returning the traffic from P/Island was horrendous. I can only imagine this was due to load shedding and many of the traffic lights being out.

Took one look at this mess and entered the world of filtering ............. I swear I would still have been sitting in traffic an hour later :)

I also tightened the battery terminals when I checked the voltage and on my ride this afternoon I had zero warning lights .... so I am assuming for now it was just simply a terminal not tightened properly. Who knows, but the HD tech will be popping the bike onto the computer tomorrow afternoon, so I should then know better.

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

So I took another step forwards today.

Went out to town and returning the traffic from P/Island was horrendous. I can only imagine this was due to load shedding and many of the traffic lights being out.

Took one look at this mess and entered the world of filtering ............. I swear I would still have been sitting in traffic an hour later :)

I also tightened the battery terminals when I checked the voltage and on my ride this afternoon I had zero warning lights .... so I am assuming for now it was just simply a terminal not tightened properly. Who knows, but the HD tech will be popping the bike onto the computer tomorrow afternoon, so I should then know better.

My negative terminal would keep loosening itself. Only the negative one. Googled it and it's rather common. Blue loctite sorted it out.

1 minute ago, WaynejG said:

My negative terminal would keep loosening itself. Only the negative one. Googled it and it's rather common. Blue loctite sorted it out.

Funny story ... it was the negative terminal that took a little tightening. 

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

Oh, and the lovely lady at Deluxe "loves" my bike when I popped in there to get a couple of bags of coffee on the way home ;) 

Welcome to the world of Harley ownership. The ladies dig Harleys. End of. 

Don’t know why. But they do. 

10 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Welcome to the world of Harley ownership. The ladies dig Harleys. End of. 

Don’t know why. But they do. 

Years and years ago I read an article which mentioned that Harleys vibrate at a certain frequency, which is also the exact frequency of certain parts of a (female's) body.  It was probably written tongue-in-cheek but who knows....????

What I do know is when I had my old R80/7 BMW and my then girlfriend used to ride on the back we had to ride at 110kph.  Apparently the bike was most comfortable for her when we went 110.  Not 100, not 120, but 110.  Right where the mirrors used to vibrate the most.  Can't think why it had to be at that specific speed........