Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

On 6/12/2021 at 7:04 PM, Hairy said:

Had a site meeting out in Franschhoek, took a spin to @Grease_Monkeyto pick up the screen (Thanks again GM and good to meet you) and then back home again to Sunningdale.

All round, and including getting lost going to GM it was a nice 250km ride on the HD. 

The screen on the bike coming home made a huge difference on the open road.

Earplugs rock!

I find that riding the bike makes me thirsty.

LOTS of bikes out and about today.

When I got home I started making coffee, and while waiting for it to brew I could "feel" the thrumming of the bike still, akin to being on a ship a few days and then being on land again .... this was pretty cool.

Filtering at traffic lights rock!

I need to take pics when out on the bike.

Pleasure Hairy, always lekker to meet hubbers out in the real world.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/11/2021 at 12:16 PM, Scalpel said:

One for you @Andymann Quite a few extras added after this picture was taken. Not even 1000km on yet.

WR1.jpg

Ahh - it's one of the Roadworthy ones.  That was my project in 2010/11 I think.  The official Yamaha roadworthy WR was a completely different bike and also too expensive so we brought in kits from Aus and made our own.

I tested one for a few weeks - wasn't bad at all, but wasn't really suited as a commuter - I was doing the required service intervals every 2 months!

Joined the motorcycling a week ago, so still fresh and new to the whole idea but puts a smile on my face every time I get on the bike.

I went for my first long ride and off-road (gravel) with the bike, and I love every minute of it! 40km loop Spes Bona, back of Malanshoogte and back up Vissershok home. It handled great on the open road and cruised at 95kph with ease, the suspension felt great on the bumpy 'sinkplaat' gravel road.

2010 BMW G450X

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sadly there seems to be an issue with the stator since it does not charge the battery while riding, luckily with me being lightweight and the bike as well, my friends just pushed me to jumpstart the bike to get me home where I put it on charge again.

We did confirm the problem Saturday afternoon by stripping the bike and testing the 3-phase cable with the voltmeter where it read 30 - 16 - 6. So yeah, a new stator needed, fun times...

If anyone knows a secondhand BMW dealer for parts or know of someone who can source a stator for the 2010 G450X, please DM me. I will greatly appreciate it.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

2 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Nice bike and welcome to the bike gang. There's been a danger around here lately of it turning into a Harley Owners' thread. :P

As for spares, have you seen this thread?

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?board=229.0

Or is the request from Flying Brick on your behalf?

Thank you very much, so I have seen over hear haha. Where is all die ADV riders?

Will check out that thread, thanks.

Now that you mention it, if I am not mistaken, one of the owners of Flying Brick actually owned a G450X not sure if he still does but probably won't hurt getting in touch with them.

The ADV riders are all there. This is just a smallish but very friendly thread for all of us who love bikes. I wish one day we could all meet up post Corona for a chat. That Wilddogs site is very helpful and most bike shop owners are there so you can chat to them direct.  

5 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

The ADV riders are all there. This is just a smallish but very friendly thread for all of us who love bikes. I wish one day we could all meet up post Corona for a chat. That Wilddogs site is very helpful and most bike shop owners are there so you can chat to them direct.  

Meeting up for a chat, grand idea. I am always up tor a bike ride! Currently this ADV rider is out of country, back at work. Bikes safely stashed away on their umbilical cords to the chargers.

Edited by Spokey
Spelling

20 hours ago, WaynejG said:

Picture of the bike with the screen on. Looking for ideas for my son in laws bike. I have the detachable screen that mounts on the front shocks. Apparently that looks like a Swot shield and not what he is looking for ????

Not the best Pitcha's as I snapped them in a hurry before running to a meeting.

20210614_085010.jpg

20210614_085018.jpg

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

Not the best Pitcha's as I snapped them in a hurry before running to a meeting.

20210614_085010.jpg

20210614_085018.jpg

Is that similar to the original "chips"(tv series) bikes?

19 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Is that similar to the original "chips"(tv series) bikes?

Google is your friend :P

https://chips-tv.com/wiki/Motorcycles#:~:text=Motor officers in "CHiPs" ride,in the first two seasons.

Motor officers in "CHiPs" ride Kawasaki Z1-P & KZ900-C2 in seasons 1 & 2 and KZ1000-C1 from season 3. Ponch almost won the street model (a 1978 Kawasaki Z1-R) on a game show in "Name Your Price". Producers used the same trailer for filming in season 3 as they did in the first two seasons. The bikes on the trailer were still KZ-900. Because the difference would be visible, they removed the KZ900-C2 windscreen and put a KZ1000-C1 windscreen on the bikes but they forgot to replace the pursuit lights (they are bigger on the KZ900) and the metal frame below the headlight (missing on the KZ900-C2).

In mid '70s CHP tested other motorcylces such as Moto Guzzi Eldorado, Honda 750 four and Suzuki 850 (this last one can be seen in the background at Central parking lot in many episodes of the second season), all those motors looked really similar because of the Department specifics such as saddle bags, radio box and pursuit lights, so it is not easy to spot the differences. In "The Matchmakers" a CHP veteran still rides a Harley Davidson. In "CHiPs '99", the chippies ride new BMW R1100RT-P motorcycles. Erik Estrada owns one of the KZ1000-C1 used in the series.

Chips Show Motorcycles

Kawasaki-KZP

Then in the 2017 Movie they used the follow: https://www.bikebound.com/2015/06/24/what-are-the-motorcycles-in-chips/

CHIPS 2017 Motorcycles

Somehow or the other I always think they ride harley's why I dont know????‍♂️. I know they on kawa's and the bmw's in the new one.

4 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Somehow or the other I always think they ride harley's why I dont know????‍♂️. I know they on kawa's and the bmw's in the new one.

Hey I was clueless and had to Google it :P

You assumed HD's, because ........... 'Merica ????

21 hours ago, Andrew_Smith said:

Sadly there seems to be an issue with the stator since it does not charge the battery while riding, luckily with me being lightweight and the bike as well, my friends just pushed me to jumpstart the bike to get me home where I put it on charge again.

We did confirm the problem Saturday afternoon by stripping the bike and testing the 3-phase cable with the voltmeter where it read 30 - 16 - 6. So yeah, a new stator needed, fun times...

If anyone knows a secondhand BMW dealer for parts or know of someone who can source a stator for the 2010 G450X, please DM me. I will greatly appreciate it.

Have a look into getting the stator rewound. Might be an option.

3 hours ago, GrahamS2 said:

Have a look into getting the stator rewound. Might be an option.

Thanks GrahamS2. Joined the Wild Dog ADV Forum and the members are really helpful. I asked Flying Brick in Cape Town as well for any advice but a user called BiG DoM said he had the exact same problem with his G450X and rewiring was the best option since the part is quite expensive and hard to come by. 

He provided me with the details of the person who did his rewiring and claimed he does it better than the OEM, so know I just need to remove the stator to be couriered for rewound.

14 hours ago, Hairy said:

Hey I was clueless and had to Google it :P

You assumed HD's, because ........... 'Merica ????

it's because the only "motorcycle sound" Hollywood's post production sound engineers know and use is Harley Davidson...no matter the make of the bike, or the amount of pistons or engine cylinder configuration...