Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Couple of interesting things around the G450X - the swingarm pivot is directly in line with the front sprocket shaft - the theory there was that they were trying to keep the chain tension absolutely constant by pivoting the swingarm on the same fulcrum as the front sprocket - that meant they had to have a really unique rear suspension design too.

Also - the engine is full of oddities - the clutch is mounted directly onto the crankshaft so it spins super quickly and if I'm not mistaken, the engine also runs counter-rotating to the wheels - so that you had less momentum when slowing down and turning.

Jade Gutzeit raced one in the Enduro class - I think he was marginally successful, but he wasn't overly complimentary.

I also remember BMW were super strict with the warranty - even putting on an aftermarket pipe voided the warranty.

Oh and the motor was made by Kymco - which we at Yamaha used to regularly remind the BMW boys whenever we had a chance!

Edited by Andymann

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, GrahamS2 said:

What's with that front /rear tyre combo? Did the previous owner supermoto it?

So the previous owner used the bike a bit for commuting, so mostly road and maybe a bit of gravel over the weekend.

It is an interesting combo but my plan would be to get 50/50 on the bike after these are worn out.

42 minutes ago, Andymann said:

Couple of interesting things around the G450X - the swingarm pivot is directly in line with the front sprocket shaft - the theory there was that they were trying to keep the chain tension absolutely constant by pivoting the swingarm on the same fulcrum as the front sprocket - that meant they had to have a really unique rear suspension design too.

Also - the engine is full of oddities - the clutch is mounted directly onto the crankshaft so it spins super quickly and if I'm not mistaken, the engine also runs counter-rotating to the wheels - so that you had less momentum when slowing down and turning.

Jade Gutzeit raced one in the Enduro class - I think he was marginally successful, but he wasn't overly complimentary.

I also remember BMW were super strict with the warranty - even putting on an aftermarket pipe voided the warranty.

Oh and the motor was made by Kymco - which we at Yamaha used to regularly remind the BMW boys whenever we had a chance!

Very interesting, thanks for the share!

1 hour ago, sawystertrance said:

To the renamed fella now proudly mounted on a Davidson, I have to say I'm loving your new avatar, identity and obvious pleasure and enthusiasm on this new lifestyle of yours. It's great to see it finally come to fruition.  

With more swagger than Mick Jagger 

1 minute ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Ready to be loaded with the other scrap metal??

Oh be still my bleeding heart!

Side note, that bloody contractor had the trailer hitch bearing on a empty plastic paint bucket. As we approached the fooking thing to look at the plans, the bucket collapses and our engineer and contractor standing near the hitch realise that (1) they could have been in a world of pain and (2) the contractor eases knowing he has a proper set of safety boots and the engineer goes pale wondering just how protected he would have been with his thin pair of vellies. 

Yeah, did not receive good news and totally ruined my day. Seems that the engine needs a rebuild... Quite disappointed at the previous owner, since he said the bike is mechanically sound which it was clearly not true after stripping the bike and checking the engine. 

And just the fact that nobody can assist you with the bike is super annoying and frustrating.

Sadly don't have the financial means to take it further, so will probably end up selling the bike after the stator has been fixed.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

39 minutes ago, Andrew_Smith said:

Yeah, did not receive good news and totally ruined my day. Seems that the engine needs a rebuild... Quite disappointed at the previous owner, since he said the bike is mechanically sound which it was clearly not true after stripping the bike and checking the engine. 

And just the fact that nobody can assist you with the bike is super annoying and frustrating.

Sadly don't have the financial means to take it further, so will probably end up selling the bike after the stator has been fixed.

Would the previous owner have been able to tell if the engine needed a re-build?

And really sorry you are going through this.

Edited by Hairy on a Davidson

2 hours ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

Would the previous owner have been able to tell if the engine needed a re-build?

And really sorry you are going through this.

The previous owner is not very helpful at all, he just said everything worked 100% when he had the bike.

But yeah, I should maybe get a professional opinion from a mechanic, if I can only find one. Maybe it is just the main bearings that need replacing.

15 hours ago, Andrew_Smith said:

The previous owner is not very helpful at all, he just said everything worked 100% when he had the bike.

But yeah, I should maybe get a professional opinion from a mechanic, if I can only find one. Maybe it is just the main bearings that need replacing.

Sent you a PM. 

Went out to site in Franschhoek again this morning and on the way back I quickly stopped on the side of the road to eat and drink something ............ I keep forgetting to take decent pics, so snapped this very quickly .. not exactly the best location or pics, but ja.

Was dodging the rain all the way and only had a very light drizzle for a few seconds coming into Franschhoek ... I got lucky.

After washing the bike last weekend, I did not put the screen back on and there were one or two moments I wish I had it fitted.

image.png.f80ffe991f9bc0c99678d6197f38d3a5.png

image.png