Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Man, so excited. A quick overnight trip to Cairo from Sharjah tomorrow and then due home. Covid test Monday night and EK home on Wednesday. 1098 is booked in at Superbike Solutions in Somerset West the following week for a belt service and electronic bypass of the exhaust valve. Looking forward to sorting that out. My bike garage is also completed so will move the machines out of the mudbrick building into their dedicated accommodations. 10 weeks out of SA, am looking forward to some bike rides!

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

Earplugs ........ The foamies are ok, but I want the "NONOISE" ... like what the marketing is telling me ... now I just need to swing past @Quagga Flying Brick to buy a pair of the Race ones.

Friend bought his at Flying Brick, we love supporting Chris and his team where we can. Also a fellow G450X enthusiastic, gave me some valuable information around the bike a few weeks ago. Cool chap!

He struggled with heavy wind noise with his ADV helmet on his F800 but after fitting those new earplugs, he was sorted.

Sure you won't be dissappointed.

10 hours ago, Andrew_Smith said:

Friend bought his at Flying Brick, we love supporting Chris and his team where we can. Also a fellow G450X enthusiastic, gave me some valuable information around the bike a few weeks ago. Cool chap!

He struggled with heavy wind noise with his ADV helmet on his F800 but after fitting those new earplugs, he was sorted.

Sure you won't be dissappointed.

Awesome thanks for the feedback RE the wind noise. That is exactly the what I was wanting to hear.....ie. no more wind noise, but still the purrrrr of the engine.

Apparently there was a dealership down the road from where I was that was also selling the NONOISE earplugs, but I just slapped in a pair of foamies so that I could rather support Flying Brick in the new week.

So I popped in at Flying Brick over lunch today to get a pair of the NONOISE earplugs. Turns out the whole FB team are using the NONOISE earplugs, so that in itself is a good sign.

Got to meet Chris and have a bit of a chit chat RE bikes and motorbikes. The store was also a lot bigger than it looks from the outside.....I need to go back and explore a little, unfortunately my time was a little limited.

Went to FB with a set of foamies lodges in my ears. They work, and work well, but maybe too well. For some reason they also block out the bassy notes of the Harley and I mostly get a "metally" sound of the rods slapping. That irritates me beyond belief. When they expand, they also tend to put pressure to the inside of your ear. Not terrible, but not great.

Used the NONOISE on the way home. I can HEAR my bike again, the same way as I would without earplugs. What was really amazing though was that at speed with the visor open I can very barely pic up any wind noise, yet I can hear cars and other "important" ambient sounds. The fit is quick and easy and is really very comfortable.

The alum storage cylinder is also a very nice touch, and the fact that the earplugs are a bright orange means they are not that easy to loose either should you drop them.

All in, it is worth every cent, and considering you can not replace any lost hearing the pricing is exceptionally cheap.

Looking forward to using them for a longer ride at a constant high speed to see just how well they really do work.

Fantastic to hear, congrats on your purchase! I must also get myself a pair soon.

Oh, Hairy I found your adventure bike to add to your arsenal, it is also a Harley:

3 hours ago, Andrew_Smith said:

Fantastic to hear, congrats on your purchase! I must also get myself a pair soon.

Oh, Hairy I found your adventure bike to add to your arsenal, it is also a Harley:

was looking at them at the CT HD dealership last week .... completely out of what I would want to spend , but maybe in a few years when a couple of second hand ones pop up.

they have really good reviews so far.

if I did go dirty I would probably opt for a smaller cc dual sport .... but then again who knows, those bloody GS 1200's are sexy too.

16 hours ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

So I popped in at Flying Brick over lunch today to get a pair of the NONOISE earplugs. Turns out the whole FB team are using the NONOISE earplugs, so that in itself is a good sign.

Got to meet Chris and have a bit of a chit chat RE bikes and motorbikes. The store was also a lot bigger than it looks from the outside.....I need to go back and explore a little, unfortunately my time was a little limited.

Went to FB with a set of foamies lodges in my ears. They work, and work well, but maybe too well. For some reason they also block out the bassy notes of the Harley and I mostly get a "metally" sound of the rods slapping. That irritates me beyond belief. When they expand, they also tend to put pressure to the inside of your ear. Not terrible, but not great.

Used the NONOISE on the way home. I can HEAR my bike again, the same way as I would without earplugs. What was really amazing though was that at speed with the visor open I can very barely pic up any wind noise, yet I can hear cars and other "important" ambient sounds. The fit is quick and easy and is really very comfortable.

The alum storage cylinder is also a very nice touch, and the fact that the earplugs are a bright orange means they are not that easy to loose either should you drop them.

All in, it is worth every cent, and considering you can not replace any lost hearing the pricing is exceptionally cheap.

Looking forward to using them for a longer ride at a constant high speed to see just how well they really do work.

What do they cost Hairy?

26 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

What do they cost Hairy?

R290.00.....and the cost of your dignity when you arrive, place your helmet on your handle bars and mirror, then proceed to drop it from here for the very first time.

And they have a good few in stock

Edited by Hairy on a Davidson

On 7/25/2021 at 7:30 AM, Gnarly said:

My new office..... 

588148614_Newoffice.jpg.c73976e52e98926fd03c9d6351a5879b.jpg

That is just not right!!  I am on the lookout for a 2018+ Husqvarna 701 if one gets shipped to you by mistake; (your shop seems to do offroad only) send it on down. Payment in USD to account of your choice.

Hairy, I've not been on this thread for a bit but noticed the bit about your earplugs. Perhaps it boils down to the shape of one's ear but I have those no-noise plaugs and find they don't cut out noise for me. It could also be due to my helmet - it has cut outs on the ears for microphones and perhaps that makes it noisier. As I said here long ago I find the foamies from Dischem to be the best. And unbeatable for the price. Glad, though, that the no noise work for you.  

As for any others looking for earplugs, have you tried here:

https://www.pienaarbros.co.za/category/hearing-protection/reusable-earplugs/

I tried them and none worked for me but at the price I think it's worth trying them just to check..

1 minute ago, sawystertrance said:

Hairy, I've not been on this thread for a bit but noticed the bit about your earplugs. Perhaps it boils down to the shape of one's ear but I have those no-noise plaugs and find they don't cut out noise for me. It could also be due to my helmet - it has cut outs on the ears for microphones and perhaps that makes it noisier. As I said here long ago I find the foamies from Dischem to be the best. And unbeatable for the price. Glad, though, that the no noise work for you.  

As for any others looking for earplugs, have you tried here:

https://www.pienaarbros.co.za/category/hearing-protection/reusable-earplugs/

I tried them and none worked for me but at the price I think it's worth trying them just to check..

When you note noise, are you referring to wind noise or general noise?

Wind noise was not present, but general noise was.