Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Wear ear plugs, after 40 years of riding bikes long distance, listening to loud music and playing in bands my hearing has suffered. So i protect as much as i can. I use Alpine ear plugs with inserts to reduce the decibels. I also have a set of Vater ear plugs which work on the same principle. 

i wear them to rock concerts and music festivals too these days. Saves my ears as much as possible and reduces the stress on my ears. While riding my bike i find they allow me to do long distances without as much fatigue which is a very cool side pro. 

But wear plugs. Even the best most expesive helmets do not cut out noise, esp the high frequency sounds of whistling wind etc. 

YOu can also invest in a set of high end plugs where you get them moulded to your ear but the Alpine and no noise pretty much mold to your ear canal when you insert them anyway. 

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Wear ear plugs, after 40 years of riding bikes long distance, listening to loud music and playing in bands my hearing has suffered. So i protect as much as i can. I use Alpine ear plugs with inserts to reduce the decibels. I also have a set of Vater ear plugs which work on the same principle. 

i wear them to rock concerts and music festivals too these days. Saves my ears as much as possible and reduces the stress on my ears. While riding my bike i find they allow me to do long distances without as much fatigue which is a very cool side pro. 

But wear plugs. Even the best most expesive helmets do not cut out noise, esp the high frequency sounds of whistling wind etc. 

YOu can also invest in a set of high end plugs where you get them moulded to your ear but the Alpine and no noise pretty much mold to your ear canal when you insert them anyway. 

Thanks for sharing, clearly ear plugs is more important than I thought. I am off tomorrow, so will drive through to Flying Brick to get myself a pair especially since I am still in my young days, so rather safe than sorry to keep my hearing good when I get older.

11 minutes ago, Andrew_Smith said:

Thanks for sharing, clearly ear plugs is more important than I thought. I am off tomorrow, so will drive through to Flying Brick to get myself a pair especially since I am still in my young days, so rather safe than sorry to keep my hearing good when I get older.

While you are there go see Chris in the back office ... he likes to talk about bicycles too :P 

I think the noise was general but the wind was the chief offender. On a trip back from Darling once, into the wind, it got so bad I had to stop to change from the NoNoises back tothe dischem specials. Much better for me. I have an aftermarket bashplate which reflects a lot of noise back up to me and I find even road noise reflecting up - I think it comes via the inside of the screen. So in general a lot of noise but for sure the wind is the worst, incessant as it is. Andrew, take note of the wise words from Ice Cream. Years of loud music and shooting in the army without ear plugs have given me tinnitus and it's not pleasant. Wearing ear plugs is a small inconvenience in order to avoid that. 

5 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

While you are there go see Chris in the back office ... he likes to talk about bicycles too :P 

Had an awesome chat last time, since he is the moderator of the BMW G450X thread over on Wild Dog. Didn't realise he is a cyclist as well, pretty cool - lover of all things with two wheels.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

1 minute ago, Andrew_Smith said:

Had an awesome chat last time, since he is the moderator of the BMW G450X thread over on Wild Dog. Didn't realise he is a cyclist as well, pretty cool - lover of all things with two wheels.

he is/was a member of BikeHub too

7 hours ago, mazambaan said:

That is just not right!!  I am on the lookout for a 2018+ Husqvarna 701 if one gets shipped to you by mistake; (your shop seems to do offroad only) send it on down. Payment in USD to account of your choice.

What 701? Enduro or Swart/Vitpelin? Yes offroad it 99% of our sales. We have a rather big sandpit to play in here. 

These are the alpine ones I use. 

about 11 quid a set. Black reduces by I think 17db an red 20db. 

well worth the coin. 

A0D48987-13A8-47CC-84B1-E6F7FD7739E5.jpeg

Exactly the ones i use. they come under a bunch of different brand names and all look the same and do the same thing. 

They work really well for me and whenever i am going to ride more than 10 miles or so i use them. Can clearly hear the motor etc so all good. 

Buy the red ones or if another brand the highest noise reduction ones possible. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

1 hour ago, IceCreamMan said:

At one stage you could buy them from the surplus store for next to nothing. 

I am not familiar with them, but could one also lock them?

Someone sent me this link ... they are in JHB and I would have liked to pick it up, looked at it a little better to see if it can really work.

https://www.southafricanmilitarysurplus.co.za/products/ammo-boxes/

Edited by Hairy on a Davidson

22 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

I am not familiar with them, but could one also lock them?

Someone sent me this link ... they are in JHB and I would have liked to pick it up, looked at it a little better to see if it can really work.

https://www.southafricanmilitarysurplus.co.za/products/ammo-boxes/

You could lock them with a small padlock as I recall. Very popular at one stage. 

You will need to fashion brackets for em 

27 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

You could lock them with a small padlock as I recall. Very popular at one stage. 

You will need to fashion brackets for em 

Thanks .... the metalwork aspect I do not thing would be much of an issue.