Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

On 8/3/2021 at 8:49 PM, Hairy on a Davidson said:

https://www.aprilia.com/en_EN/tuareg-660/

gallery_tuareg_indaco.png?1627307913594

and the old school 600

Aprilia Confirms New Details & Launch For Tuareg 660 Adventure Bike - ADV  Pulse

On 8/3/2021 at 8:53 PM, Hairy on a Davidson said:

Or this (If I had the cash floating around)
https://linexyamaha.co.za/tenere-700/

2019_yam_xtz700_eu_bwcm_accsta_001-67676-scaled.jpg

Amazing how some things have gone backwards.  On all my old DT's as well as the old XT's, TTR's and XR's the exhaust is nicely out of the way in case you have a fall.  My ex-Boss from Yamaha has a nice gouge in the Aluminium swingarm of his T7 because it fell over and bent the exhaust bracket so the pipe touched the swingarm.  It was a fairly innocuous fall so he never paid attention and carried on riding, and when he got home the movement of the rear suspension had worn a groove in the swingarm.  He's not happy

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, sawystertrance said:

Hairy, just for you. Yosemite is the most beautiful place I've ever been. On a bike it must be mind blowing

was watching pro monkey doing this ride earlier while I was working

1 hour ago, sawystertrance said:

Hairy, just for you. Yosemite is the most beautiful place I've ever been. On a bike it must be mind blowing

Watched this the other day .... those hydration vests must be interesting under the right conditions.

On 8/5/2021 at 9:46 AM, Andymann said:

Amazing how some things have gone backwards.  On all my old DT's as well as the old XT's, TTR's and XR's the exhaust is nicely out of the way in case you have a fall.  My ex-Boss from Yamaha has a nice gouge in the Aluminium swingarm of his T7 because it fell over and bent the exhaust bracket so the pipe touched the swingarm.  It was a fairly innocuous fall so he never paid attention and carried on riding, and when he got home the movement of the rear suspension had worn a groove in the swingarm.  He's not happy

Is it not a fuel tank issue (or like rally bikes)? Quite a few bikes have the fuel in a tank under the seat and don't have space for the exhaust, hence the low pipe. Not real dirt bikes ????

12 hours ago, mazambaan said:

Is it not a fuel tank issue (or like rally bikes)? Quite a few bikes have the fuel in a tank under the seat and don't have space for the exhaust, hence the low pipe. Not real dirt bikes ????

Dakar Racer Pablo Quintanilla Splits from Husqvarna - ADV Pulse

I'm guessing Rally bikes use upswept exhausts for a few reasons. Low slung fuel tanks being one.

Ease of access for repairs, replacements, or maintenance is also a big deal on rally bikes so having an exhaust header that is out of the way makes life easier (the moto malle guys & gals I'm sure are especially thankful).

Those who have worked on a Husky (or KTM) dirt bike will know the hassle of removing a rear shock, It either requires some insane contortion & jenga skills with the exhaust header partially removed, or one has to drop out the swingarm to completely remove the exhaust header so that the rear-shock can squeeze past.

I recall watching a Youtube vid of a privateer showing how he was converting his Yamaha WR450 to a Dakar racing machine. An exhaust reroute was one of the mods made. I think it was to allow for larger tanks (front and rear)

But then I guess Husky 701's and KTM 690's share some traits (trellis frames and rear mounted fuel tanks) with their leaner-meaner brothers, yet they run a more MX-style exhaust routing. And some of the aftermarket rally kits (like the Omega, for rally-fying Husky 701's) allow the standard exhaust to remain in place, despite the addition of low-slung front mounted fuel tanks.

GAZ_6922.jpg

So yeah, I guess serviceability is the name of the game. Either way, at the price of a rally bike I'd imagine they have done all their homework and have their reasons, whether I understand them or not :lol:

ps. personally I like the look of the upswept pipe on a rally bike. 

Edited by patches

TIP OF THE DAY:

If you also have a keyless fob on your bike ... tape a spare battery to the underside of your seat for in case of an emergency....though I would assume you have also set up your manual security bypass should you loose your fob or if it fails (Harley Feature, not sure what the lesser bikes have RE over rides)?

My battery ran flat in my fob last night and the damned thing would not deactivate the alarm, so had to rely on the manual security pin bypass method.

image.png.f9c56fbc37f539c580675bb2e97ce4d7.png

15 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

TIP OF THE DAY:

If you also have a keyless fob on your bike ... tape a spare battery to the underside of your seat for in case of an emergency....though I would assume you have also set up your manual security bypass should you loose your fob or if it fails (Harley Feature, not sure what the lesser bikes have RE over rides)?

My battery ran flat in my fob last night and the damned thing would not deactivate the alarm, so had to rely on the manual security pin bypass method.

I've heard of insurance companies asking for the spare key when a car gets stolen, dont know if they do this for bikes too. So this is probably not the best idea.

Does your bike have keyless start ? If so then you need to locate where that sensor for the key is on the bike, in cars if you hold the key right by the sensor it will start (provided that battery in the key is not completely stuffed.)

17 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I've heard of insurance companies asking for the spare key when a car gets stolen, dont know if they do this for bikes too. So this is probably not the best idea.

Does your bike have keyless start ? If so then you need to locate where that sensor for the key is on the bike, in cars if you hold the key right by the sensor it will start (provided that battery in the key is not completely stuffed.)

The bike is keyless, and only came with one fob unfortunately.

31 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I think the HD's only come with one fob... a friend bought a brand new one a year or two ago and he says he only received one fob.

On 8/17/2021 at 1:34 AM, Hairy said:

TIP OF THE DAY:

My Huskies are keyless AND fobless ????

I have however installed hidden kill-switches on them to prevent unwanted persons from starting them.

9 hours ago, patches said:

My Huskies are keyless AND fobless ????

I have however installed hidden kill-switches on them to prevent unwanted persons from starting them.

Can you give me a quick how-to on this. Would hate my 501 to go walkabout.