Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Gonna go look at this bike on the weekend. Looks in good nick...would look great next to my gamma. 

Just how many bikes (Motor) do you own!

16 hours ago, mazambaan said:

Can you give me a quick how-to on this. Would hate my 501 to go walkabout.

Sure, lets see if I can remember how ????

I think I started off by watching this video...

From the vid you'll see the basic principle is to add a 2nd ignition kill switch (or 3rd in the case of KTM's and huskies, assuming your bike already has one on the right and the left side of the handlebars).

The advantage of this over just disconnecting the power from the battery is that someone may still kickstart (or push start) a battery-less bike. The disadvantage is that some opportunistic fool may just think your bike is struggling to start (as the starter motor still turns over), and they'll flatten your battery trying.

As for the switches, I used one of these heavy duty toggles with a boot

SPST IP56 Heavy Duty Toggle SwitchWaterproof Hoods For Toggle Switches - STANDARD

I did have aspirations to making this a DPDT toggle switch in to simultaneously take the battery offline when the hidden kills-witch is activated, but I got lazy.

When it comes to hiding it, there are many options. Somewhere inconspicuous, easy to reach, but not easy to accidentally activate is the ideal.

As for the functionality, as previously mentioned the starter motor will still turn over, but the ignition is grounded and therefore without "hotwiring" the bike or deactivating the kill-switch, the engine won't fire up.

Hope that helps!

Edited by patches

9 hours ago, patches said:

Sure, lets see if I can remember how ????

I think I started off by watching this video...

From the vid you'll see the basic principle is to add a 2nd ignition kill switch (or 3rd in the case of KTM's and huskies, assuming your bike already has one on the right and the left side of the handlebars).

The advantage of this over just disconnecting the power from the battery is that someone may still kickstart (or push start) a battery-less bike. The disadvantage is that some opportunistic fool may just think your bike is struggling to start (as the starter motor still turns over), and they'll flatten your battery trying.

As for the switches, I used one of these heavy duty toggles with a boot

I did have aspirations to making this a DPDT toggle switch in to simultaneously take the battery offline when the hidden kills-witch is activated, but I got lazy.

When it comes to hiding it, there are many options. Somewhere inconspicuous, easy to reach, but not easy to accidentally activate is the ideal.

As for the functionality, as previously mentioned the starter motor will still turn over, but the ignition is grounded and therefore without "hotwiring" the bike or deactivating the kill-switch, the engine won't fire up.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the detailed explanation - I had a vague idea of what was needed but this is great.  Mine has the pesky on/off switch on the right then the kill button at the back of a combination switch on the left - but I will figure it out; thank you.

17 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Gonna go look at this bike on the weekend. Looks in good nick...would look great next to my gamma. 

GSXr 2.jpg

gsxr400.jpg

What a nice, pre-sling Gixxer. 

I like

6 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

What a nice, pre-sling Gixxer. 

I like

Its a 400 too..very rare here. But not very valuable. Seems ot share some components iwth my gamma like suspension and clocks. 

5 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Nice man. Now to find the holy grail, a 500 Gamma. 

Finding one is possible here...finding the finances is another kettle of fish. 

Found one that had 1 mile on it...strues nuts. It had been started back in the 80's once and ridden aorund the parking lot and parked and sat in collections for 40 odd years. Pristine. I lusted after that machine. Price 45k. 500 gammas pop up from time to time ,,never below 20 grand.  All my bikes together probably worth less than 20 grand to put in perspective. 

RD500's , similar kind of money. RD350's from 4 to 12. The RD350 was still made in Brazil until the 90's , those models are relatively cheap but the made in japan earlier ones in good nick go for big money. 

RG400 Gammas pop up to, normally around 12 grand. But relatively rare and parts must be a nightmare. my 250 gamma pop up anywhere from 4 to 7 grand. RGV from about 6 to 10. I would not mind a RGV. 

To put things in perspective , i saw an FS1e 50cc sell for 11 grand. The help my trap version. Normal Fizzers go for around 7 grand in good nick. My MT 50 for around 3 grand in good nick. 

Bike prices on the island are insane for some models. But then some bikes are worth next to nothing. I have an RF600 93 model. I would be lucky to get a grand for it. 

1 hour ago, Wannabe said:

It's crazy what a decent condition stroker costs these days. Saw a "project in progress" 350LC advertised for 120k. ????

wow. At one stage no one wanted em. Now 120k for a project. 

A guy i knew had a bike shop, he had a few for sale a few years ago for around 60k..i should have bought them all. 

Was shifting stuff around in the garage and found an oil stain on the floor. So I started inspecting the Husky 450 and came across this

QNDivi8nyOcChQ8Q3dCmqjPlIEbxJHltz59TnemM2d0_xIYmM6WT1xMJI6xE9RwbU3TQW9EdO2qKcHImA_yxTjgpQ8Awf0kFaLUsL4cwCrIpAkthipro_s5NgqDzZYl5qdv1rdPCyrA_JYfxlDW8Kkp10d258jC0ijrtz0rlUZjWzOWts4-rP-pPsBVKni6ecGhKCI9zPtRFmfWRggNh0yP-3g4NSIx22l5nIFe4JLeluXlOY5OccDY0-QUZaTSsvwHoYSnNRPkeosmhMq2CEtCzcfP_KoLXflLmCL0htgaHM8mUMeziJxqBk8yFHBgtaxF79FKSpUPpEDHdJ4VOheEcNftL2Nu7zHpbKaTmxzMVolsIX_gzyAlOYJvI9fHJ5tFb1zH6P8gVN5aroK0lNxTzXYoZTgyz6Fnj4STUr_kgD7sieYj6YGLTjOrdIMUiW_tVPRJ54ocZbpuOUR2vnW1jrawG4CeEWH3SePDcxQYpFPtZa_1H7dqlJfPodxeL91L6BoMCfhVfSjExlN1YiH_kN-Cy6fsticuxinuJCNc7lz9-IJrrn_8YKIzvgo4YgPUAiw9JattbToi_rk_ZtKORDhlhYfuuZGP-k4r728gOz0xmZSyenviRBi7CDYJHvIke26KpARj56ylPVbhv13oqHqUueqFERWJY0XhtHH9o6ebefyBH-VXPcNyDBHffSWMR-m8gotoVDFs1agJ5Sq49=w511-h907-no?authuser=0

A crack in the ignition cover ????

I know how it happened (sidestand gave way on slippery driveway), but I didn't notice the damage at the time.

A new ignition cover will be around $200, but I see a number of KTM and Husky owners  who have also befallen the fate of "gear lever vs thin magnesium casing" have opted for the JB Weld ghetto fix.

Anyone here tried it before? Did it do the job?