Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Travelling from PE to Port Alfred yesterday, I stop at the Nanaga Farm Stall for petrol. Guy there on a Triumph Rocket.

Start talking to him, he is from Fort Beaufort. He had strapped a bag to the bike and just started riding. Says he has no idea where he will sleep. Just thinks it will be somewhere near Storms River.

Flippen awesome is all I can say.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, WaynejG said:

Travelling from PE to Port Alfred yesterday, I stop at the Nanaga Farm Stall for petrol. Guy there on a Triumph Rocket.

Start talking to him, he is from Fort Beaufort. He had strapped a bag to the bike and just started riding. Says he has no idea where he will sleep. Just thinks it will be somewhere near Storms River.

Flippen awesome is all I can say.

Before we had kids we would just pick a direction and go (In the car) and see where the road takes you .......... what that guy on the Rocket is doing really stirs my spirit!

4 hours ago, Hairy said:

Before we had kids we would just pick a direction and go (In the car) and see where the road takes you .......... what that guy on the Rocket is doing really stirs my spirit!

Got to agree with you, stirs my spirit too.

On a road trip. Left Hoekwil on Thursday for Scottburgh. Took the scenic route via Barkly East, Rhodes and Naudes Nek Pass.left Scotties yesterday for Joburg…wow, crazy wind at Sterkfontein Dam, there really should be speed sailing events there! To Pretoria today for my FAA flight medical. Heading back toward home tomorrow, route as yet undecided. The Katoom has been amazing but she likes her 95 Octane a lot when ridden enthusiastically! The posters are in Walkerabout Inn in Rhodes, I never had the pleasure of riding the Rhodes Challenge but it seems it was one tough event. Shame it is no longer on the callender.FDF607F8-23FE-4113-994B-0EDFE204AD9E.jpeg.dc8e2545d0a09447ca55a5970a266457.jpegE591C4F3-212C-4056-A9A7-6144C3169AD0.jpeg.da49a56762e41a0ff7ea809cddaf1f3a.jpeg626CACBE-A0E3-49A7-9788-B140B40330B3.jpeg.7f1072d64879d19332f11a2db66216da.jpegAB022EEF-A1FD-40BC-9146-9DBC76D319B6.jpeg.62518a4ba14f8d8f35447ff18d856a7a.jpeg

7 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

Spokey, What pannier bags do you have?

Hi there

I use the ATG bags. They are the medium size if I remember correctly. Perfect for a week away and staying in guest houses. I carry tyre repair kit and rain suite in the top box including basic tools though am aware of the weight higher up. I bought a second chain tool today with the correct links as I forgot my other one in my KLR’s saddlebags. I had visions of a busted chain on Naudes Nek……….the puncture was enough of a hassle!  I do have a great water proof barrel bag to sit on the rear seat but did not need so much volume this trip, that would be good if camping. If two up I would have to rethink my  system. I carry my back back for the hydration bladder but invariably end up strapping it to the front of the top box as I get tired of the weight on the shoulders……..my wife kindly reminds me that I am not as young as I once was! 
 I can really recommend the ATG bags. The inner bags seal by the roll top method and are totally water proof. 

3 hours ago, Spokey said:

Hi there

I use the ATG bags. They are the medium size if I remember correctly. Perfect for a week away and staying in guest houses. I carry tyre repair kit and rain suite in the top box including basic tools though am aware of the weight higher up. I bought a second chain tool today with the correct links as I forgot my other one in my KLR’s saddlebags. I had visions of a busted chain on Naudes Nek……….the puncture was enough of a hassle!  I do have a great water proof barrel bag to sit on the rear seat but did not need so much volume this trip, that would be good if camping. If two up I would have to rethink my  system. I carry my back back for the hydration bladder but invariably end up strapping it to the front of the top box as I get tired of the weight on the shoulders……..my wife kindly reminds me that I am not as young as I once was! 
 I can really recommend the ATG bags. The inner bags seal by the roll top method and are totally water proof. 

They look pretty decent and well priced! Can almost get a set of the ATG 32L panniers for the price of 1 Kriega OS-32.

11 hours ago, Spokey said:

Hi there

What a lekker ride (hope you missed the rains). I'm envious.

13 hours ago, Spokey said:

Hi there

Thanks. your setup does loook comfortable but I have another question and some observations:

Having looked at the setup of the ATG bags I note they have straps which extend over the seat. Is that not a hassle and will it not damage the seat? Can they attach directly to pannier racks?

I have decided not to ride dirt with my top box. Not only does it place the weight high as you said but also I fear for the mountings on bumpy gravel roads especially those with corrugations. 

Have you seen this guy called Pete? based in George and close to you. I am thinking of buying one of his tailpacks which look very practical and will suit your requirements. Also can take luggage on top so very practical. And it's local of course with a good price. He will customise if required.

https://nomadbikebags.co.za/products/

He has many recommendations on Wilddogs and I don't think his website does him justice. Just  thought...

2 hours ago, mazambaan said:

What a lekker ride (hope you missed the rains). I'm envious.

Me too. I must make a plant to get up to that area.