Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

31 minutes ago, Andymann said:

The Aluminium is just so that I can have a proper blank.  We're going to cast the new ones in SG Cast Iron - just like the originals.

You may just get into casting these and supplying them world wide!

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Andymann said:

A little project within a bigger one - the lovely cast finned exhaust nuts on the Velo have seen a few ham-fisted owners with hammers over the last 90years.  They are obviously not available anymore and putting on the later model type would just have bugged me.  So it was off to the 3d Printer we went, to make a duplicate.  Then off to our Foundry on the other end of Jhb to cast an Aluminium blank which will be used at a pattern to cast me 4 new ones, which I will machine.  Probably a bit of overkill seeing as everyone who owns one of these bikes has the later type on, but if not, why not!

20210909_132458.jpg

20210909_132628.jpg

IMG-20210913-WA0017.jpeg

IMG-20210917-WA0005.jpg

Got some of these for a mate with a cx 500. ( similar). Original NOS. Lots of classic bike sales here in summer. Think I paid 75 quid after haggling a lil. 

stuff you can find here is amazing. Keep an eye on breakers an classics groups. 

11 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

Lovely photos which to me represent a lifestyle into which I want to submege myself.With regrd to plugs: 

I have Nakaee 3s on my bike and had a mushroom plug put into my rear tyre well over a year ago. No problems. I think they are fine under all conditions. It's the gluey worm plugs you use on the road which give me a bit of concern althugh may people vouch for them having put them in and never had any problems with them. Even Ryan fortnine did a video on them.

I am about to replace my Anakee 3s and think I am about to go with Anakee adventures. I don't ride gravel as much as you do so at 80/20 they seem to be the best fit and come highly recommended. Those Motoz Tractionators are very highly regarded but seem a bit over the top for your use or do you do more gnarly stuff? One of my mates swears by Mitas E07s and, if you can get them, Shinkos also get good ratings.

Whatever the tyres, it seems like you're doing just fine and are ejoying life - just as it should be. 

Thanks, yes I am lucky to be able to head off with the bike when back in SA. If I have trips I need to do I invariably take the bike. The Motoz I have is the GPS on the rear, seems really good.  I will run it at about 1.8 to 2 bar when on the dirt. I am going to put a Motoz Adventure on the front or maybe my Anakee Wild that I have in the garage. I feel I need a more aggressive front than my Rally STR. That tyre is great on the tar and hard dirt but I don’t like the way it handles on loose stones which I have come across a lot on recent travels in the Karoo.  Anyways, those Anakee Adventures are really brilliant. I used a pair for a trip to Joburg and back last year. Fantastic in the wet too and good enough on hard dirt roads. I have that old set in my garage which have around 5500kms on them. I will finally wear them out on a tar trip somewhere! 
I will check out Fortnines video shortly. I am a big fan of Kyle Bradshaw on Chaparral Motor Sport. He has great tyre reviews. 
I fear my plugged Rally STR will just gather dust in my garage along with another 4000 km front. I do like the Anakee Wilds better but clearly they do not have the longevity. I do feel I want the confidence of the Wilds in the dirt especially here in  the Hoekwil area when the dirt roads are wet. 
Perhaps I need an old 990 for the dirt and keep my 1190S for road touring!!

13 hours ago, Spokey said:

Thanks, yes I am lucky to be able to head off with the bike when back in SA. If I have trips I need to do I invariably take the bike. The Motoz I have is the GPS on the rear, seems really good.  I will run it at about 1.8 to 2 bar when on the dirt. I am going to put a Motoz Adventure on the front or maybe my Anakee Wild that I have in the garage. I feel I need a more aggressive front than my Rally STR. That tyre is great on the tar and hard dirt but I don’t like the way it handles on loose stones which I have come across a lot on recent travels in the Karoo.  Anyways, those Anakee Adventures are really brilliant. I used a pair for a trip to Joburg and back last year. Fantastic in the wet too and good enough on hard dirt roads. I have that old set in my garage which have around 5500kms on them. I will finally wear them out on a tar trip somewhere! 
I will check out Fortnines video shortly. I am a big fan of Kyle Bradshaw on Chaparral Motor Sport. He has great tyre reviews. 
I fear my plugged Rally STR will just gather dust in my garage along with another 4000 km front. I do like the Anakee Wilds better but clearly they do not have the longevity. I do feel I want the confidence of the Wilds in the dirt especially here in  the Hoekwil area when the dirt roads are wet. 
Perhaps I need an old 990 for the dirt and keep my 1190S for road touring!!

That sounds like a N+1 story to me :P

I was just reading the thread about threads being closed down and all the views expressed there and got to thinking about this thread. Weirdly, for bikers, it's a haven of peace and tranquility and a great source of photos and info. Do we leave all our aggressions out on the road? :D

Rode my bike for the first time in ages (probably 6 months) after wintering it.

With registration costs being upwards of $400/year here in New Zealand, many riders put their registration on hold over winter to avoid paying the fee for a bike that is not being ridden. I usually forget to do that, this year I remembered. There is a catch though. One has to put it on hold for a minimum of 3 months. So one cant just renew rego's all willy-nilly.

Anyway, with Auckland still under lock-down and only essential travel permitted, the freeways are so quiet. It's awesome! Good thing too, as I felt a little rusty, haha

Received an awesome birthday present for me and could not be any happier!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

2007 BMW G650X Challenge with a few upgrades: Acerbis Handguards, Shorty Levers and Upgraded Rear Shock. The seller also included a set of proper off-road tyres and a silencer. The bike has just under 11 000km on the clock and paid R30 000 for it.

So amped and the bike sounds amazing! What a machine. Looking forward to our 170km trip on Thursday.

7 hours ago, patches said:

Rode my bike for the first time in ages (probably 6 months) after wintering it.

With registration costs being upwards of $400/year here in New Zealand, many riders put their registration on hold over winter to avoid paying the fee for a bike that is not being ridden. I usually forget to do that, this year I remembered. There is a catch though. One has to put it on hold for a minimum of 3 months. So one cant just renew rego's all willy-nilly.

Anyway, with Auckland still under lock-down and only essential travel permitted, the freeways are so quiet. It's awesome! Good thing too, as I felt a little rusty, haha

Registration; oh boy. I have a Husky 501 that I bought from a guy who emigrated. Very pleasant and good deal I think BUT he's now overseas and I need to get the thing registered.  All I have is his ID No. ????, no forms filled in. Possible?

20 minutes ago, Andrew_Smith said:

Received an awesome birthday present for me and could not be any happier!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

2007 BMW G650X Challenge with a few upgrades: Acerbis Handguards, Shorty Levers and Upgraded Rear Shock. The seller also included a set of proper off-road tyres and a silencer. The bike has just under 11 000km on the clock and paid R30 000 for it.

So amped and the bike sounds amazing! What a machine. Looking forward to our 170km trip on Thursday.

Congrats, and safe travels ????????

9 minutes ago, mazambaan said:

Registration; oh boy. I have a Husky 501 that I bought from a guy who emigrated. Very pleasant and good deal I think BUT he's now overseas and I need to get the thing registered.  All I have is his ID No. ????, no forms filled in. Possible?

You will have to get at least a copy of his ID. Although, you will also have to find a way of getting an affidavit as well.

You can send me a PM when you are ready and I will put you in touch with someone who helped me.

1 hour ago, RoddieJ said:

You will have to get at least a copy of his ID. Although, you will also have to find a way of getting an affidavit as well.

You can send me a PM when you are ready and I will put you in touch with someone who helped me.

Having just registered a trailer, same principle, you will only need a certified copy of his ID. 
I may be wrong, but that is all I had of the previous owner of the trailer and just road worthy and straight through registration.

3 hours ago, mazambaan said:

You've got all the papers for the bike right?

After more than 4 years and around 20 000 miles of riding all over this island i got my first traffic fine.  After  commuting for a few years into london etc without a fine imagine my surprise picking up a fine. Sometimes a working post office is a bitch. 

My transgression, riding in the bus lane coming out of Brighton. Now, all over london this is permitted, in fact wherever i have ridden its permitted. Riding into Brighton i checked the signs and motorcycles permitted. Aha, my error is not checking the signs coming out of brighton on my way home. 

60 quid, but if i pay before 6 October only 30 quid.