Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

6 minutes ago, dirtypot said:

I picked up a nice little commuting steed for my incredible 1.2km daily commute :ph34r:
I haven't had a bike for a while, so it's been fun to ride again.  It's not the most powerful bike I've ever had, but it serves its purpose well.  It's been well looked after and has a nice throaty exhaust on it.  Enjoying it so far, and it's also the first bike I've ever had where I can leave all of my kit on and in the bike and walk into a shop like a regular person!  Have never had that before with any of my other bikes.  

IMG_20210916_165336.jpg

I see them standing on the showroom floor here and always thought theyd make great commuters, especially in DCT form

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dirtypot said:

I picked up a nice little commuting steed for my incredible 1.2km daily commute :ph34r:
I haven't had a bike for a while, so it's been fun to ride again.  It's not the most powerful bike I've ever had, but it serves its purpose well.  It's been well looked after and has a nice throaty exhaust on it.  Enjoying it so far, and it's also the first bike I've ever had where I can leave all of my kit on and in the bike and walk into a shop like a regular person!  Have never had that before with any of my other bikes.  

IMG_20210916_165336.jpg

Happy commuting! 

On 9/26/2021 at 8:04 PM, Spokey said:

9838A5CC-8679-461B-9C76-D3162839B68A.jpeg.72878e0b6ec50add9ca0080a6ffa8a99.jpegI recently had the Duke serviced in Somerset West, full Desmo service plus belts and valves. Perhaps I mentioned it before. Anyways, I did not ride the bike much as the mirrors were shite, full view of my shoulders. So I ordered some mirror extenders from Ducati…….Wow, what a difference, nice to see the Polos and GTI’s coming now as they try to dice when I am cruising at a whopping 130 kph!
This bike is insane…..no traction control or ABS, in fact no rider aids whatsoever. I love it. The roll on acceleration is ridiculous especially after fitting the 14 tooth front sprocket…….it scares and excites at the same time. Turns out it is actually reasonably comfortable for a 200 km ride! The brakes are outstanding, the front end feel is remarkable. I explore the capabilities each time out on the machine, of course not wanting to exceed them!   For she me is a 13 year dream fulfilled! I have removed the rear foot pegs and also ordered a seat cowl to replace the “rear seat”.
 I look forward to the next outing on this beast!

73183CFF-44C4-48A6-B7EF-0234D4AF6014.jpeg

What a damn sexy scoot that is...... 

On 9/21/2021 at 4:59 PM, Hairy said:

Provide the model and we can only ask him ... he is a really great guy ok and is also on this site .

@ChristiaanSt

What is this bandwagon I am being discussed in?

I have downloaded your chin bar file and looking at it now to line it up and print it. Will let you know once done

Where do you guys go to get a printout on a bikes previous owner or anything.

I went to traffic and police station and both said to go to the other one.

Trying to get the papers for my 03 kx125 to get it street legal.

17 minutes ago, Mongooser said:

Has it been registered on the Natis system before?  If it has, then its a nightmare.  If it hasn't and you don't have the papers then its a nightmare.  
It's possible to sort out (I've done it both ways in the past) but its a mega bureaucratic 'mare. 
If its been on the system before and the license hasn't been paid every year then it could end up being cost prohibitive.

Why are you wanting to get it street legal though?  Do you have a full homogolation kit for it? 

But to answer your question, its the licencing centres that can help you.  Matt can take you to the one in Fish Hoek (I've taken him there before so he knows where it is) otherwise here's the complete list:
https://www.capetown.gov.za/Family and home/See-all-city-facilities/Our-service-facilities/Motor vehicle registration centres

Thanks ill go through the link.

I went to the fishoek license depo when I renewed our car licenses, They couldn't help me well I was there and said I need to go to saps hence the site saying otherwise. 

have no clue if its on the natiz system and can't figure out who was the og owner. Kawasaki can't even find the vin on their system....  

I just want a street legal 2 stroke. There's not many options out there. 

Edited by Mongooser

3 minutes ago, Mongooser said:

Thanks ill go through the link.

I went to the fishoek license depo when I renewed our car licenses

hey couldn't help me well I was there. ill have to go again and be more clear. 

have no clue if its on the natiz system and can't figure out who was the og owner. Kawasaki can't even find the vin on their system....  

I just want a street legal 2 stroke. There's not many options out there. 

possibly grey import thats why they cant find it on their system.

2 minutes ago, ouzo said:

possibly grey import thats why they cant find it on their system.

Is that bad or really bad.... 

5 hours ago, dirtypot said:

IMG_20210916_165336.jpg

Is that a typo, 1.2 km's...no good for an engine that. 

36 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Is that a typo, 1.2 km's...no good for an engine that. 

Each way... 

And I take the scenic route home via Chapmans Peak, up and down ???? which adds a few extra kilometers 

16 hours ago, ChristiaanSt said:

What is this bandwagon I am being discussed in?

I have downloaded your chin bar file and looking at it now to line it up and print it. Will let you know once done

Hi Christiaan,

Nice to hear from you. Just before you do it, how much do you think it will be? It may be too expensive for you to do and also needs to be flexible so I don't know if your plastic will be suitable. My apologies - I should have been clearer when mentioning it. 

17 hours ago, Mongooser said:

I think you're going to hit a brick wall hey - I'm talking Yamaha now, but I'm pretty sure it will be the same for the others.  When a model is introduced to Natis it's either flagged as For Road Use, or Not for Road Use.  So regardless of what papers you eventually get, the moment you take the bike for a Roadworthy and he inputs the model code (YZ125B02 would be the YZ Natis code) it will be flagged for non-roadworthy purposes.

Now I do know that KDX200's are flagged for Road use so you would be able to get one of them Roadworthy, and we also introduced a "New" model code for a YZ250 when we had to register two bikes for Jade and Louwrens to use in Europe, which was for road use, but I'm pretty sure they changed that back.

This is also why if anyone here buys one of the older single cylinder carb-bikes like the KLR650, XR600, TW200, DT175, DR400 make sure they are still licensed - if they are up to date they cannot be taken off the system, but if they need to be re-introduced to NATIS, all those model codes have been flagged now for non-road use.

I have attached a copy of an old Natis Certificate - how it used to work (and I'm sure still does) is that official importers are linked to the NATIS system.  For every bike or ATV they sell, they register the VIN and engine as well as Model Code on NATIS, and NATIS then issues this document (we used to joke and call them Birth Certificates).  The new owner then took this certificate to the Licensing department and with it, he or she got the Ownership papers and put the vehicle in their name.

Now in the case of most off-road, Enduro or Track bikes, the owners never needed papers, so they didn't bother to go to the Licensing department, so the NATIS system then archived that VIN number.

If you are really lucky and the bike has never been registered you can apply to unarchive the NATIS and then you can register as a new bike - which is why a lot of Track Bikes from 5 years ago are 2021 models!

But again, if that model code or vehicle register number has been loaded as "Non Road use" while you could get the bike legal to ride on the road, you will never be able to license it.

I know it's not ideal, because you already own the KX, but if you absolutely want a 2-stroke road legal bike and are a Kawasaki fan, look for one of the Road-legal KDX200's.  They have lighting coils, so you won't have to stress about riding at night, have speedometers, and also oil pumps, so you don't have to worry about pre-mix.

Most important, they also have ignition and steering locks fitted so you can actually leave them parked somewhere.

NATIS -01.doc

....and that's how you know if a KDX200 will be registered on NATIS as For Road use - that's where the passenger footpegs go - so that series of VIN number will be able to be licensed.

s-l800 (1).jpg

2 hours ago, Andymann said:

I have attached a copy of an old Natis Certificate - how it used to work (and I'm sure still does) is that official importers are linked to the NATIS system.  For every bike or ATV they sell, they register the VIN and engine as well as Model Code on NATIS, and NATIS then issues this document (we used to joke and call them Birth Certificates).  The new owner then took this certificate to the Licensing department and with it, he or she got the Ownership papers and put the vehicle in their name.

Now in the case of most off-road, Enduro or Track bikes, the owners never needed papers, so they didn't bother to go to the Licensing department, so the NATIS system then archived that VIN number.

If you are really lucky and the bike has never been registered you can apply to unarchive the NATIS and then you can register as a new bike - which is why a lot of Track Bikes from 5 years ago are 2021 models!

But again, if that model code or vehicle register number has been loaded as "Non Road use" while you could get the bike legal to ride on the road, you will never be able to license it.

I know it's not ideal, because you already own the KX, but if you absolutely want a 2-stroke road legal bike and are a Kawasaki fan, look for one of the Road-legal KDX200's.  They have lighting coils, so you won't have to stress about riding at night, have speedometers, and also oil pumps, so you don't have to worry about pre-mix.

Most important, they also have ignition and steering locks fitted so you can actually leave them parked somewhere.

NATIS -01.doc 61.5 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks for all the info.  Alot more useful than any government site.

I'll get the bike to saps and see whats up and go from there.

Otherwise a kdx200 could be perfect.