Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

16 hours ago, Hairy said:

@sawystertrance see I told you @ChristiaanSt was a chop nice guy! ????

Haha. ChristiaanSt, thanks very much. I will send you a DM to arrange a meetup later this week to check things out. It may have to be around Thursday if that's OK. Thanks again.

By the way, is that you selling helmet hangers like a bomb on Wilddog? If so, good for you.

:thumbup:

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Spokey said:

Anakee Adventure…..I have a set for my Katoom 1190. Excellent tires for general touring. Brilliant on tar dry or wet and hard pack dirt. If I do a long tar trip I fit these…….otherwise Anakee Wilds! Although currently running a Motoz Tractionator GPS on rear and Pirelli Rally STR on the front. I think I will go back to the Wilds and suffer the reduced milage.

Yes, Early days yet but I have found that on tar they have changed the handling characteristics of my bike completely. And highlighted my dodgy riding style. The bike now falls progressively into corners rather than having to be manhandled and the steering tracks straight as opposed to turning in bends. I'm not sure if that was my style or due to the triangular wear on the tyre but either way it's far more stable now. Just painfully pricy. On the Cedarberg trip they were superb and going into Stadsaal caves I even rode sand without too much fuss other than a head shake here and there. 

Both you r tyres are highly regard but I hear good things about the Dunlop TrailMax too. 505/50 tyre I think so perhaps they are a consideration for you too.

Hoping to post a video link here soon of my trip.

Cheers

14 hours ago, Hairy said:

Have any of you watched this ... have it lined up to watch in the next few days

Great doccie, there is one from about 5 yrs earlier but the name escapes me now......

Great race last night btw

@ Andrew Smith. I see you are buying stuff from P.K on Wilddog. It's something I have to plan. If you look at my photos you'll see I used a plain old duffel bag with straps and that just doesn't work. They work loose, take ages to load and unload and with the 3 types of luggage I carry I need more access on the road. 

My 3 luggage types are 

1. Clothing. 

2. Tools

3. Camera kit.

With them all packed in one duffel bag it is a mission for me to stop and access a different camera, battery or piece of camera kit. 

And even with very limited clothing I'm at max packing capacity. I'm wondering if I need pannier bags or just a more efficient way of fastening a bigger bag or even more bags. Putting different luggage into different bags is surely the answer. 

Spokey, you are the dust devil here. What do you do? Anybody else have suggestions on luggage and packing? It seems to be an artform. 

So which one of you riff raff are planning on refurbing a bike and willing to attempt a vid like this?

8 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

@ Andrew Smith. I see you are buying stuff from P.K on Wilddog. It's something I have to plan. If you look at my photos you'll see I used a plain old duffel bag with straps and that just doesn't work. They work loose, take ages to load and unload and with the 3 types of luggage I carry I need more access on the road. 

My 3 luggage types are 

1. Clothing. 

2. Tools

3. Camera kit.

With them all packed in one duffel bag it is a mission for me to stop and access a different camera, battery or piece of camera kit. 

And even with very limited clothing I'm at max packing capacity. I'm wondering if I need pannier bags or just a more efficient way of fastening a bigger bag or even more bags. Putting different luggage into different bags is surely the answer. 

Spokey, you are the dust devil here. What do you do? Anybody else have suggestions on luggage and packing? It seems to be an artform. 

It is a tricky one, I am also getting used to the whole idea but I am very impressed with the little Nomad Bag! I will be using it again when I am going to my parents in Yzerfontein for the weekend. 

Straps play a role, my friend swears with ROK straps but that wasn't in my budget at the moment:
https://flyingbrick.co.za/product/rok-adjustable-straps/

I went to my local Spiro's and settled with the R90 pair of ratchet straps which worked for me greatly so far. 

Another bag option is maybe this one:
https://flyingbrick.co.za/product/duffel-bag-40l-little-karoo-v2/

My friend got it for his BMW 800 and offers a lot of space. He then uses his top box for food storage.

On our previous trip, I only used the 26L Nomad bag which I used strictly for clothing, toiletries. I made sure to only pack the stuff I will require later when arriving in the camp place and since we stopped at shops, I did not want to leave any valuables in that bag. So tools and valuables I split between my tank bag and backpack, in your case, I would keep the tools (if not too bulky) in my tank bag and my camera kit in my backpack, along with chargers and accessories.

Returning to packing, it is an art form and my first attempt also needed rethinking and going back to the drawing board. Also, I think packing lightly is keen as well - something I quickly realised. 

9 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

My 3 luggage types are 

1. Clothing. 

2. Tools

3. Camera kit.

I use an ATG roll bag as well as the ATG Overlander  soft panniers in 30l size and my Tourtech topbox in varying combinations depending on my trip length. I do have a tank bag for small items, like leatherman and phone charger. I carry my tools,  puncture repair kits rain suite and first aid pack in the top box for easy access. I don’t carry any camera equipment beyond my phone and occasionally a Go Pro type action camera. My iPad and chargers travel in my back pack. I do carry a hydration bladder in my backpack too. Clothing I keep to a minimum. 

The ATG roll bag has a great strap system which clips onto D rings on the bag. I also use cheap ratchet straps as extra tie downs. On the dirt I also secure the top box with strategically placed secure bungee. Seen too many accounts of these boxes bouncing off! I like the soft panniers as they can be strapped up small if not filled up. The internal waterproof bags are brilliant.

I only stay where I have secure off street parking so I leave the bags on the bike when overnighting.  
I don’t camp with the bike, easier to take the bakkie!

All good and sensible, thanks. My problems then seem to be:

I don't want to carry my top box because it's high, heavy and I fear for its integrity when bumping along on corrugated dirt roads. 

I have a fair bit of camera kit, including mini-tripods, which I need to access regularly. 

I don't have either pannier bags or a tankbag. It seems to me that those would resolve my issues. At some point I want to be able to take some supplies for an outdoor overnight and to do some self-catering so I need to be able to cater for that. 

I agree with your point about soft luggage. Seems to be the way to go. 

Pete, the guy Andrew_Smith has bought stuff from, seems to be a regular guy who makes good quality, basic kit and will make to customer requirements so I need to figure out exactly what I wan and then decide to ask him or something like ATG or Badger bags which Chris at Flying Brick carries.

One last question: Any problems with stability or speed wobbles when loaded?

Cheers and thanks for your input.

@sawystertrance get in touch with Pete and ask for his assitance, I am sure he will be more than willing to help you out. And as you can see already, his pricing offers great value for money compared to the rest. 

I cannot fully comment on speed wobbles but I did any expierence any on my loaded bike, same can be said for my friend who was more heavy loaded than me.

Personally, I think that comes down to the tyres that you are running on the bike. I am currently running Metzeler dual sports on mine while my friend has the MITAS E-07. I got a pair of new Michelin Desert with the bike as well but the previous owner warned me that they get finicky when you hit 80kph on the tar.

Also, don't be afraid to seek advice on the Wilddog Forum, awesome community - I am also learning my way on the bike since this is a complete new experience for me.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

1 hour ago, sawystertrance said:

I don't want to carry my top box because it's high, heavy and I fear for its integrity when bumping along on corrugated dirt roads. 

I have a fair bit of camera kit, including mini-tripods, which I need to access regularly. 

I don't have either pannier bags or a tankbag. It seems to me that those would resolve my issues. At some point I want to be able to take some supplies for an outdoor overnight and to do some self-catering so I need to be able to cater for that. 

Pete, the guy Andrew_Smith has bought stuff from, seems to be a regular guy who makes good quality, basic kit and will make to customer requirements so I need to figure out exactly what I wan and then decide to ask him or something like ATG or Badger bags which Chris at Flying Brick carries.

Topboxes and their mountings have improved over the years but, as noted above, they bounce the most. Anything valuable in there, consider a ratchet strap around the whole thing and under the mount. Otherwise tankbag. I use the small Wolfman tankbag, Giant Loop Coyote soft bag, (Enduristan Rally Pack tailbag and Wolfman fender bag (puncture repair stuff). Plenty similar alternatives now; all quite pricey.

21 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

The top box has grown on me. I did not like it at first as it is harder to get on and off the bike. I am getting on in years and also only 5 ft 8 tall ( sorry, old money there ha ha). However, I like that it is lockable and secure. Mine had an issue where the pin holding the C clips that lock on the rack was working loose when bouncing along gravel tracks. I dismantled the lot, drilled through the pin with a 1,5mm bit and inserted a split pin. It does not move now. Further to that I loop a strong bungie strap through the rack and stretch it forward over the box to the hand holds. The box is very stable now. Also pack that box tight. Any free space in there and the content of the box will bounce around unbelievably! If necessary I even stuff in an old towel or piece of foam to pack it tight.Sounds like a good sized tank bag is what you need for your camera gear. I would advise against putting that in a top box unless well wrapped in foam.
I have had no problems with stability with luggage on the bike and I do cruise at enthusiastic speeds . I run Motoz Tractionator GPS on the rear in the dirt orientation and a Pirelli Rally STR on the front. Very stable up to speeds approaching the tyres rating. Great on tar and hard pack dirt. I prefer my Anakee Wilds in the dirt but recent trips have been tar biased. For me the GPS tyre is sketchy in the wet. If I do not put the rain mode on the bike spins up very easily! My favourite tyres if travelling long distance predominantly on tar or hard gravel are the Michelin Anakee Adventures.

Which ever bags you choose ensure they are well tied down. Gives huge peace of mind to know the luggage is secure when steaming along a Karoo dirt road trying to get airtime off any natural ramps in the road!

Got to admit, I also find my top box very handy - especially on runs to the supermarket. And for the same reasons as you. Just on long trips the possibility of it breaking is something I want to avoid and it also is a bit high for me. Plus, of course the bouncing around of contents as you mention. I'm trying to figure out my ideal combination and think it is going to be some combination of pannier bags, a soft top bag (probably both from P.K) and then a tank bag. I also wear a CamelBak so that has to be factored in too. 

I agree with you about tying them down. As Andrew has mentioned above, straps are important and while I have used cam buckle straps so far for fastening and they work loose so perhaps Rokstraps are the best option. 

I agree that the Anakees are great. It's still early days for me but so far they have performed well and inspire confidence in me - which is important. Good to her you have had no wobble problems. WildDogs is full of stories of guys who have.

Cheers to all for your input.

1 hour ago, WaynejG said:

So this thing happened. Looks like I am selling my Harley Wide Glide ????

SO WHAT HAPPENED ?