Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Guys……thoughts from you, investment potential of a 1981 CB1100R? I have the opportunity to purchase one  in extremely good condition one owner since new, original purchase documents, but it is expensive and I wonder if it has potential for further growth in around 10 years. 
Any ideas welcome!
I wont hold you to any dodgy decisions I may make!!

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Spokey said:

Guys……thoughts from you, investment potential of a 1981 CB1100R? I have the opportunity to purchase one  in extremely good condition one owner since new, original purchase documents, but it is expensive and I wonder if it has potential for further growth in around 10 years. 
Any ideas welcome!

Spokey, our economy is tanking and I just don't think the market exists for classic bikes. And where will SA be in 10years? As a comparison, look at Zim. Do you think you would be able to sell it there? As a project it's a great one and it's a great bike but to sell at a profit I think you would have to sell overseas. And I think doing that you would make a profit.Just my opinion but perhaps I'm very mistaken. Apparently used cars in SA have risen in price so perhaps bikes would too except they are more of a niche market compared to cars. Keen to hear other opinions.

14 hours ago, BSG said:

Very nice trip you did there.????

Yes it was a great break from covid confinement. Can't tell you how good it felt. It's something you have to look forward to. I know the video is long and most will not watch the whole thing. Kudos to you if you did but thanks for even looking at a bit of it. Lots of mistakes but I'm hoping to keep improving. 

2 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

Spokey, our economy is tanking and I just don't think the market exists for classic bikes. And where will SA be in 10years? As a comparison, look at Zim. Do you think you would be able to sell it there? As a project it's a great one and it's a great bike but to sell at a profit I think you would have to sell overseas. And I think doing that you would make a profit.Just my opinion but perhaps I'm very mistaken. Apparently used cars in SA have risen in price so perhaps bikes would too except they are more of a niche market compared to cars. Keen to hear other opinions.

I gave this a lot of thought last evening. I believe the value growth is there on such a bike but the market is way too small in SA as you say. People who have the money seem more into the classic cars. These 1100R’s can fetch as much as 25000 Dollars but this might be the peak price for many years. The guys here are asking overseas prices already for bikes like the CB1100R, RD350 etc.

I think I will pass it up…………and perhaps kick myself years down the line!

33 minutes ago, Spokey said:

I gave this a lot of thought last evening. I believe the value growth is there on such a bike but the market is way too small in SA as you say. People who have the money seem more into the classic cars. These 1100R’s can fetch as much as 25000 Dollars but this might be the peak price for many years. The guys here are asking overseas prices already for bikes like the CB1100R, RD350 etc.

Gooi a pic if you have please?

1 hour ago, Spokey said:

Go buy a Harley instead and have a smile on your face :P

20 hours ago, Spokey said:

Any ideas welcome!

Them bikes were and still are drool worthy in their day, that and the katana were what everyone idolised. I was fortunate to own a couple of kats but never a CB1100R. They go for stupid money here so chances i will never own one. Reckon here between 15 to 20k for a good one. So around 300-400k. (i did have a CB 900F at one point and also had use of CBX1000 6 cylinder but never a 1100)

Mate of mine recently bought one in so so condition for 150 grand. But he is getting it back to mint and does the work himself as a hobby so worthwhile. We looking at bringing it here when finished and sell it here. Start a little side line if you will. 

If you can get it for a good price i think it will appreciate in the long term. they just getting scarcer. 

YOu make me think of another mate of mine , he has a Seeley which he has owned for 30 odd years. Its part of his retirement plan. He also has a Ducati 50cc which he is currently rebuilding and has been for like 20 years. Parts are unobtanium as you can imagine. 

One thing is for sure regarding vintage bikes, they dont go as well as we recall them to go. But they are so damn rewarding to keep going and work on. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

Went to Franschhoek for a meeting yesterday morning.

Left home at just past 7am and was trusting Windguru from the night before that the weather would be ok. 

It was flipping cold, the roads were wet as heck all the way there with trucks throwing up dirty spray along the way.

I SHOULD HAVE fitted the screen and worn the jacket liner and not just a t-shirt under the bike jacket.

There was one short patch of less than 1km where the sun came out and I could feel it on my skin, then ever so quickly it was gone again.

Leaving Franschhoek it start raining lighting to then ever so suddenly start hailing these teeny tiny hail stones.

The rain cleared up, but the roads stayed wet all the way to Durbanville were I wanted to stop at the HD dealers to buy some oil to do my oil change ... as I got there it started raining again. At least I had some shelter, so all good. Looked around and realised that my next HD could well be the Road King Special.

Back on the road, going home via the Durbanville Hills, approaching the highest point you look down to the coast and can see that it was raining at my house. 

Just got past Dunoon, and the heavens opened up. It was just a solid sheet of water. Managed to quickly turn in at the Shell petrol station to take shelter till it was ok to ride out again.

Getting home the bike was in a state, it looked like I had been hitting dirt roads on her .... so after getting some work out today I was able to give her a proper clean and buffing ....... open the garage door to take her in again and it flippen starts raining .... so get her in ASAP and dry her up again.

Moral of the story, I enjoyed every freaking moment riding in the cold and rain ........... and my bike is nice and clean again :P

Getting the 350 ready to get road registered (again) and then go up for $1 auction ????

image.png.78549f5d789b2bcff0766c5b02828723.png

Damn the OEM road kit is dorky. But with NZ's new ABS law coming onto effect in 13 days (meaning bikes without ABS cannot be road registered after 1 Nov, unless they are classics etc), there's a little bit of stress to get it through compliance, warrant of fitness, and registration all in time. So I'm not chancing any aftermarket parts that the inspectors may deem non-compliant.

That'll teach me a lesson for letting the bike gather dust for 2 years.

Edited by patches

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

Went to Franschhoek for a meeting yesterday morning.

Left home at just past 7am and was trusting Windguru from the night before that the weather would be ok. 

It was flipping cold, the roads were wet as heck all the way there with trucks throwing up dirty spray along the way.

I SHOULD HAVE fitted the screen and worn the jacket liner and not just a t-shirt under the bike jacket.

There was one short patch of less than 1km where the sun came out and I could feel it on my skin, then ever so quickly it was gone again.

Leaving Franschhoek it start raining lighting to then ever so suddenly start hailing these teeny tiny hail stones.

The rain cleared up, but the roads stayed wet all the way to Durbanville were I wanted to stop at the HD dealers to buy some oil to do my oil change ... as I got there it started raining again. At least I had some shelter, so all good. Looked around and realised that my next HD could well be the Road King Special.

Back on the road, going home via the Durbanville Hills, approaching the highest point you look down to the coast and can see that it was raining at my house. 

Just got past Dunoon, and the heavens opened up. It was just a solid sheet of water. Managed to quickly turn in at the Shell petrol station to take shelter till it was ok to ride out again.

Getting home the bike was in a state, it looked like I had been hitting dirt roads on her .... so after getting some work out today I was able to give her a proper clean and buffing ....... open the garage door to take her in again and it flippen starts raining .... so get her in ASAP and dry her up again.

Moral of the story, I enjoyed every freaking moment riding in the cold and rain ........... and my bike is nice and clean again :P

This is a super account of biking!……...I travel everywhere with my tool kit and rain suit if the trip takes me away from George. I do not set out in the rain if I can help it but I do not skrik for it when on a trip. Wind this past week was horrendous. I rode to Uitenhage and back on Thursday to buy some model bikes to build. The return along the cost was frankly scary. I turned inland along the R62 via Kareedouw……was a better option, and really beautiful.

11 hours ago, Hairy said:

Go buy a Harley instead and have a smile on your face :P

Ha ha, na……not for me hey, though perhaps the XR1200 flat tracker. My twins are my V twin KTM and my Italian Mistress the L Twin Ducati 1098.

I took the little KLR for a 300 km jolly to have coffee on the top of Swartburg Pass and return via Kruisrivier, Volmoed and Mount Hope road. I use the Giant Loop Mojave saddle bags for my tools and spares with my first aid kit, hydration bladder and rain suite in my back pack. I do think a small top box would work to just leave the hydration bladder on my back. This was my last big day out before I return to the Sandpit for work on Wednesday. I rather fancy the Triumph 1200 that parked next to me at Kobus se Gat at the base of the Pass.3446E4BE-28E9-42DC-829F-2C8C7BE4939E.jpeg.49174dd1058975a89b403ef0ccdc9504.jpegBADD6074-2135-4024-B57A-0EEB170131B7.jpeg.f019269ed53df104e63125f030b7d54e.jpeg3BC95FB2-341B-46DE-BB1E-E6193F9C8E29.jpeg.ad6f2180db24cc9cdd6e7f0d074d5db9.jpegE95D7FC6-DF41-4DF8-99E9-EED321C4FD86.jpeg.b21548719d91a7dd783f45248817cdb8.jpeg398347E2-5D6A-4169-9486-3FD4C399A1ED.jpeg.dec820b6a571deab849ec67364211784.jpegF947A8A9-A1B6-47A6-AFB4-6DA06F3EFD3B.jpeg.5f5934330a2721831eec901c12d29548.jpeg

Edited by Spokey
Added content

On 10/17/2021 at 3:05 AM, Spokey said:

Any ideas welcome!

I would do it. I have a mate with 50+ collectable bikes, and he regularly sells to international buyers. The market for classic cars and bikes is ever growing.