Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Spokey said:

I gave this a lot of thought last evening. I believe the value growth is there on such a bike but the market is way too small in SA as you say. People who have the money seem more into the classic cars. These 1100R’s can fetch as much as 25000 Dollars but this might be the peak price for many years. The guys here are asking overseas prices already for bikes like the CB1100R, RD350 etc.

I think I will pass it up…………and perhaps kick myself years down the line!

Definitely a market for it outside of SA. If you just look at the volume of bikes being exported, its sad but people are making their money.
R200k Banshee's being built in SA for the UK market. Guys buy the bike and have it modded here, in Bloem nogal, then ship it over. Convert it to pounds and it is a steal for them.
I would explore the options. Look around at a few international auction sites to get a feel for the market, iconicbikes, etc......

Yes Hairy, Spokey has it spot on. Bikers have to be ready for all weather and Cape Town with all its mountains and micro-climates, makes it a risky guessing game. Problem is it is dangerous too, not only for the loss of traction but also for the loss of traction by other road users, most of whom don't seem to slow down for rain. I would imagine Franschoek pass in the rain would be a very dangerous road from that point of view. Be careful out there boys.

1 minute ago, sawystertrance said:

Yes Hairy, Spokey has it spot on. Bikers have to be ready for all weather and Cape Town with all its mountains and micro-climates, makes it a risky guessing game. Problem is it is dangerous too, not only for the loss of traction but also for the loss of traction by other road users, most of whom don't seem to slow down for rain. I would imagine Franschoek pass in the rain would be a very dangerous road from that point of view. Be careful out there boys.

Thanks

What I did notice on Saturday was that people were not riding like chops ... rather refreshing.

Coming from my neck of the woods I entered via the N1 .... so all "flat roads" for me with no pass involved.

3 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Ah good. Sorry, I assumed you went over the pass. When I see "Franschoek", I think "Franschoek Pass". 

hey ... thanks for caring ;)

12 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

My claim to fame is that I painted the fence on the North Circular outside the Ace Cafe some years back. 

oh wow, i have often remarked on what a great job that was. 

In the summer on Friday nights which is bike night there are so many people there bikes park all over the pavements everywhere and even up on the pedestrian bridge. Great times with a pint and always loads of people to chat to. 

I love the Ace cafe..yeah its a gimmick and a marketing thing, with high prices but i feel at peace there. Not so busy on a saturday afternoon  so nice to escape the world and just chill. They always have lil get togethers there an this past satuday was the Aston Martin club. Nice to check out old cabbies and just relax. We dont relax enough anymore. My inlaws (now passed ) used to go to the Ace fom Luton in the late 50's and early 60's on the old mans BSA then Triumph. 

Crap ride there and back though, its the M25 for me and then the M40. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

So a bit of a venting session here.

Following getting my bike I have had a few issues, of which most could easily be resolved I think.

1. There were electrical errors that came up on the dash, and bike did not want to start at one point. Pinned it down to the battery connections that were loose following the bike shop fitting the light on the license plate at time of purchase. He was to arrange a meetup with his "Harley Tech" to put the bike on the computer to check ... still waiting, as it is always some or other issue.
  2. The oil levels were stupidly low when I checked them shortly after purchase ... you know, just out of curiosity as it was said all was good on the bike. Topped it up and the level has not dropped since over the last 3000km.
  3. License plate light stopped working. Took it back to get sorted. Elec. Mech. guy fiddles and struggles to find the fault. I get him to make a dummy light and test the system. We find that they had routed the cable to the light over the subframe and UNDER the seat pan causing the cable to wear through at the bottom. He starts routing the cable back the same way till I remind him about the last time this happened and also noted that they cut the cable too short last time and this also caused a pinch at the point where the cable enter the back of the LED light.
  4. I keep hearing a rattling from the front brake lever. Turns out that the circlip meant to keep the pivot/pin in place is missing and you can pop the pin out and remove the lever with your finger .... WTF. Some ductape over the top of the pin keeps it in place till when the bike shop can finally sort this out.
  5. 19th of June I sent him pics of where the seams on the leather gloves were coming un done on the finger. I bought the gloves in the beginning of June. I have sent messages, emails, etc but never get any feedback from him till I go to the store to ask him. Then he says he is still waiting on the distributors as they do not have stock. There were a few other glove options I could swap out to, but they are half the price of what I paid, and these gloves fit me well, so I will wait. Just tried calling him now after my WhatsApps are not read and he does not answer the call again.
  6. I intermittently have the cruise control light come one ... and I do not have cruise control. He said he is still waiting for his HD tech feedback.
  7. There is a crease to the bottom of the speedo bezel. I was always amazed at how easily water would get in there after a wash and you went over the dial with only a wet cloth, no hosing. Turns out that you can actually pull the glass down and then be left with a gap between the glass and bezel. There are traces of clear silicone that also pop up. My gut feeling is that the previous owner broke the glass in a fall and did a DIY replacement of sorts on the glass. I will get back to my suspicion of a fall.
  8. The weekend before I did my K53 test, the guy doing my training goes over my bike with me (a) the belt guard is missing, you can see where part of the bolt remains in the frame and where it was cut off (b) the brake light does not go off when using the front brake...we fiddle a bit, but the damned thing does not return to the fully "open" position to release the brake light sensor. I think the brake light is a newer issue, but the belt guard was from the sale and I do not know how they got it through Road Worthy like this. 
  9. BRAKE LIGHT: Go straight through to the shop to sort the issues out so my bike is safe and roadworthy for the Monday K53 test. They take forever to sort out the brake and I am told that they do not even have to road test it as it is working now ... even after I ask why it is so sharp / short on throw. Leaving there and not more than 3km away the front brakes lock up. Fortunately at slow speed at traffic lights. Guy comes through to see what is going on, looks like the spring in the lever has collapsed. Back to the shop with another long wait for them to sort it out.
  10. BELT GUARD: He looks amazed at it not being there and I then show him the rusty bolt where it was cut off ... ok, he can't get one now for me to be able to do the test on the Monday, but will sort it out for me on Monday. The test was on the 26th of last month and I can not get any feedback from the bike shop. With them not being able to sort out the guard before the test, it meant I had to rent a bike for the test at R400.00
  11. LICENSE PLATE: When I bought the bike I asked for the smallest legal plate ... they fitted one that would also not pass muster at the K53. So I bought one for R200.00 to use on the day of the test. So with the guard I am down R600.00 that I should not have had to spend to start with.

My suspicion that the bike took a bit of a drag or fall.

1. The mirrors look a little second hand RE the condition of the glass. The bolts used to fit the mirrors to the lever body do not match each other in design. This you do not readily see as they are at the underside of the levers.
  2. There is a nice bit of alum scraped away to the underside of the primary case.
  3. I suspect the grips were replaced by the previous owner and not a dealership as when washing the bike last I noticed that the collar on the accelerator grip was fitted the wrong way round. Thought being the old grips were damaged.
  4. Left rear indicator housing scratched
  5. Left front indicator cover was scratched .... the awesome Craig from Big Bike Centre (Tracmac premises in P/Island) looked at this and found a replacement in his box of spares, swapped it out and only charged a handshake.
  6. Bit of a scrape to the left side of the rear rim and belt drive cover
  7. I think that the clutch lever was replaced. The left front indicator housing that bolts to the clutch lever body does not sit flush and properly into the rebate that is meant to receive it.
  8. The bike was re-sprayed.
  9. My speedo comment from above (No. 07)
  10. Primary cover is not stock. Just a flat black cover.
  11. The hooter "horn" was cut off at the mount. This is visible when you look under the tank and you can see the rust where it was cut. This is also on the left side of the bike. The hooter is currently just the hooter without the horn, fitted to the front of the bike on the frame.
  12. Rubber boot on that goes over the clutch cable adjuster is torn and the torn part has been turned to face the engine so that you do not see it. This is also on the left hand side.

I am sure there is more, but I need to cut this essay short now.

Hell Hairy I'm so sorry to hear that. It sounds like the guys you bought it from are real rogues. Have you talked to a manger there about your concerns?. If you intend taking it further I think it would depend on your purchase documents and whether or not you bought it voetstoots. Best advice I can think of is to stay on their case to get fixed or replaced what they have undertaken to do and then move to another shop. Don't spend another cent there.

Ice cream, I did that pant job when I was going through a bad patch. It ended up being a disaster because it was in Winter and I covered my bloody Timberland boots in sea green coloured paint. Said boots cost more than I got paid for the week's work. Grrrr. :D

Edited by sawystertrance
Spelling

Jissus Hairy this is irritating BUT in some ways that is why we buy new bikes (the last one I bought was a Husky 430WR in the early 80's).

Also sometimes better to buy privately where the owner is honest or has not tried too many bodges. I am always wary after an external service and try and do a nut and bolt, brakes, coolant, tyre pressures, wheel bearings, chain tension, lights etc check as well as before any ride.  If you are happy you got a good deal, the irritations are why that is and much of it best sorted by yourself or someone you trust. Can be frustrating and expensive I know.  Easier on a dirt bike where a few scratches etc are par for the course.