Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

3 hours ago, GhostSixFour said:

Yeah, something like that.

You're a new rider still? I get that, makes these big bikes scary. Go for some basic training. I'd recommend doing an off-road course - I learned more there than on my beginner road course. They teach you how to pick it up, how to balance and all that. Will make you a much more confident rider even on the road. And, at least for the ADA one I did, you don't even need off road tires or the like.

Correct, new noob rider learning the ropes slowly but surely.

Started with a BMW G450X but sadly I had problems with it, after getting it fix at BMW I'll decided to sell it to get something better suited for longer miles and service intervals.

Got a bargain on a BMW G650X through a friend and been happy ever since.

I probably have 2000km behind my name, so still a fresh spawn in the motorcycling world but I am loving it. My poor bakkie is just being used for bad weather and a weekly shopping run, otherwise I always choose the bike.

I think a basic off-road course would be a great idea, anyone you could perhaps recommend here in the Northern Suburbs, Cape Town?

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

GS are a dime a dozen here. And expensive, 

not a big fan but they do look cool. If I had the coin I would go for the 850 over the 1250 I think. Don’t need all the heft. 

Very true, every second bike you see here on the road is a GS but I think it is for good reason - it is just fantastic bikes and they clearly have the market.

I have seen a few riders stating that they tried other alternative options but they keep coming back to the GS.

Since there is a lot on the road, parts should also not be a problem at all.

5 minutes ago, Andrew_Smith said:

Started with a BMW G450X but sadly I had problems with it, after getting it fix at BMW I'll decided to sell it to get something better suited for longer miles and service intervals.

I probably have 2000km behind my name, so still a fresh spawn in the motorcycling world but I am loving it. My poor bakkie is just being used for bad weather and a weekly shopping run, otherwise I always choose the bike.

I think a basic off-road course would be a great idea, anyone you could perhaps recommend here in the Northern Suburbs, Cape Town?

https://www.countrytrax.co.za/train

Probably them. :) Don't know of anyone that has training that side, but I'm sure there should be.

34 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Something a little different. 
B024BC20-4706-4AFC-A20E-90721CE21488.jpeg.1798e11577bcfa9e5a9e324d1c8029b2.jpegADA7EC00-C786-4984-B52A-B447E633EC04.jpeg.5e9f90607d7437cbcc89a80eadfc2383.jpeg59CCEF82-E725-4C7B-A6F4-E00C6A022DF5.jpeg.5a515feacea8d770d7ef470b5410ebe3.jpeg

saw a rider this morning on the N1 riding a shinny new black Goldwing

36 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

That red is gorgeous. Reminds me of 2009 vfr colour. 

how much is it? 

500k new apparently

34 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Ouch. 

Had a look online here. 23 large. That’s a lot of loot. 

a certain rider on "Your Island" seems to like it so much that he ended up buying one after testing it for a while

Unless you doing ultra rides through Europe the gold wing is a waste here. I can do 600 mile days on my rf. that’s more n enough.

Most Brits do very little mileage. Can’t commute on goldwing either. 

10 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Unless you doing ultra rides through Europe the gold wing is a waste here. I can do 600 mile days on my rf. that’s more n enough.

Most Brits do very little mileage. Can’t commute on goldwing either. 

I stopped at Metal Heads to sit on a couple of Road Kings and the like .... they feel nice, but when I get back on the Fat Bob it feels "small and nimble" in comparison .... will take my time and look for hard shell lockable panniers for the FB and keep her for some time .

I also had a guy come flying past on his RnineT in traffic with a really really really lovely looking lady on the back .... the bike was also nice

9 hours ago, Andrew_Smith said:

One of my colleagues is a massive BMW fan (bikes and cars). I think especially as they're not very common over here. Barely ever see a GS.

He managed to scoop himself a G650X with a long range tank and he's in love. Seems like a great ride for a more off-road orientated mid-size that doesn't weigh a ton.

So yeah, no surprise that you're loving your 650 ????

Somewhere between the dual-sport (WR450's and DRZ400's) and mid-size adventures (T700's and 790/890 Adventure R's) exists the mythical bigger-dual-sport. Bikes like your G650X, 701's and 690's. These days there's only really the 701 and 690's readily available. It would be great for ze Germans or Japanese to weigh in on the matter (DR650's don't count as they are just 2 wheeled tractors).

Imagine a WR650... a CR600... a 2023 XR600R.

Edited by patches

13 minutes ago, patches said:

One of my colleagues is a massive BMW fan (bikes and cars). I think especially as they're not very common over here. Barely ever see a GS.

He managed to scoop himself a G650X with a long range tank and he's in love. Seems like a great ride for a more off-road orientated mid-size that doesn't weigh a ton.

So yeah, no surprise that you're loving your 650 ????

Somewhere between the dual-sport (WR450's and DRZ400's) and mid-size adventures (T700's and 790/890 Adventure R's) exists the mythical bigger-dual-sport. Bikes like your G650X, 701's and 690's. These days there's only really the 701 and 690's readily available. It would be great for ze Germans or Japanese to weigh in on the matter (DR650's don't count as they are just 2 wheeled tractors).

Imagine a WR650... a CR600... a 2023 XR600R.

Very interesting, would have never guessed.

I totally agree with you on that point. I mean there isn't options available in that cc size which is a pity since I feel that is the sweet spot for power and weight. Why don't they make models in 650cc range anymore? Would love to know because I think there is a big gap in the market. Or is everyone honestly seeking only horsepower over everything else?

The Husky 701 is a beautiful bike but quite pricey.

2023 XR600R would be rad! Bulletproof bikes those, tipiese plaasbike. Even second hand they are sought after and still keep their value good.

1 hour ago, Andrew_Smith said:

Very interesting, would have never guessed.

I totally agree with you on that point. I mean there isn't options available in that cc size which is a pity since I feel that is the sweet spot for power and weight. Why don't they make models in 650cc range anymore? Would love to know because I think there is a big gap in the market. Or is everyone honestly seeking only horsepower over everything else?

The Husky 701 is a beautiful bike but quite pricey.

2023 XR600R would be rad! Bulletproof bikes those, tipiese plaasbike. Even second hand they are sought after and still keep their value good.

From my understanding I believe carbon emission standards come into it. The Austrians are pretty good at getting dirty-dirt-bike engines across the Thunberg line. They manage it with their big-bore singles and their 2-bangers (mostly thanks to EFI systems).

For all the others though, the effort is probably not worth the reward, and the addition of fuel injection raises price and complexity. that's why they just do the twin thing, and stick them in the mid-weight adventurers (T700, Versys etc).

A re-engineered XR600 or DR650 (meeting modern standards) may be enticing to a fair few people, but with the price point pushed up too, I think many in that market will just rationalise the extra spend on an Austrian thoroughbred.

EDIT: that's why I think it may be up to ze Germans to come up with a contender. They were already fuel injecting their big-bores (like your G650X) and to pay the premium for a BM, over a Japanese bike, may be more palatable. But I think BM is making too much money by selling GS's to dentists and lawyers to care about reinventing the G650X ????

Edited by patches