Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My neighbour called me over when I got home, he gave me a set of soft panniers for the Fat Bob that he used to use on his Wide Glide.

Will beat riding with a back pack to meetings ..... I also started strapping the back pack to the sissy bars as it just feels so much better than carrying a sail on your back.

On 6/25/2021 at 9:15 PM, Andrew_Smith said:

The previous owner is not very helpful at all, he just said everything worked 100% when he had the bike.

But yeah, I should maybe get a professional opinion from a mechanic, if I can only find one. Maybe it is just the main bearings that need replacing.

Get hold of Gary - 0732109842  He's ex-Yamaha Technical Advisor. Has his own business now in CT - he'll give you an honest opinion.

Tell him Andy from Yamaha said you must call him

25 minutes ago, Andymann said:

Get hold of Gary - 0732109842  He's ex-Yamaha Technical Advisor. Has his own business now in CT - he'll give you an honest opinion.

Snap.. Exactly what I told him to do.

Following my ride on Saturday on wet roads, the bike was nice a dirty.

The previous weekend I picked up a Karcher K3 on special from Builders in order to jetwash my driveway and roof tiles. It works out cheaper to buy something I have always wanted, vs paying someone else to clean my roof. 

https://www.builders.co.za/Automotive/Pressure-Washers/Karcher-High-Pressure-Cleaner-K3---Black-Yellow/p/000000000000435267?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5uWGBhCTARIsAL70sLJJ3UWMq_rGYdc4QTUOhbBcHZoX_6veLOm7K5BDDWcS2qP-k9WqB8MaAqZfEALw_wcB

image.png.e3c636c01bbf5728232020edeef75c8d.png

So I really wanted to test this little unit out on the bike and car.

It has a small reservoir where you can load up your car shampoo, and then it foams up and sprays this where you need it. Let it stand a few minutes and follow up with the spraying wand.

Both the car and bike were spotless in a fraction of the time it would take to clean by hand.

Now I made sure to avoid bearing areas, etc that seem like they could take a beating, but is this something I should be cautious of when cleaning my bike? Anything I need to look out for?

Hairy, lekker to see you enjoying that Davidson. 

They like no other really. You either know the enjoyment of riding/ownership or you just ridicule. We in the know, know. ????

17 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Hairy, lekker to see you enjoying that Davidson. 

They like no other really. You either know the enjoyment of riding/ownership or you just ridicule. We in the know, know. ????

I had a big smile on my face riding home into the wind cruising at 120-140km/hr and you just hear the bike make "pppuurrrrrrrrr" sound as she just coasts along  .... :)

Harley-Davidson motorcycle inventor Arthur Davidson died and went to heaven.  When he got there, Saint Peter said to him:

- My son, you were a good man and your motorcycles changed the world, you can make a request:
 Arthur thought for a moment and said: I want to meet God!
 St. Peter took Arthur to the throne room and introduced him to God.

God recognized Arthur and said to him: So did you invent Harley-Davidson?
 Arthur replied: - It's true, it was me ..

God commented:

It wasn't a good invention...
 It is an unstable, noisy and polluting vehicle.
 Complicated maintenance, high consumption...

Arthur, was upset with the comment and replied:

Excuse me, but didn't you invent the woman?

Yes, it was me!  - Answered God.

Well, here among us, from professional to professional, many were not at all happy with your invention either!
 There is a lot of inconsistency in the front suspension;
 It is very noisy and chatty at high speeds;
 In most cases, the rear suspension is too soft and vibrates too much;
 The leisure area is located too close to the recycling area;
 Maintenance costs are exorbitant.

God reflected and answered:
 Yes, it's true that my invention has defects, but according to the data I gathered, there are many more men mounted on my invention than on yours...

21 minutes ago, WaynejG said:

Harley-Davidson motorcycle inventor Arthur Davidson died and went to heaven.  When he got there, Saint Peter said to him:

- My son, you were a good man and your motorcycles changed the world, you can make a request:
 Arthur thought for a moment and said: I want to meet God!
 St. Peter took Arthur to the throne room and introduced him to God.

God recognized Arthur and said to him: So did you invent Harley-Davidson?
 Arthur replied: - It's true, it was me ..

God commented:

It wasn't a good invention...
 It is an unstable, noisy and polluting vehicle.
 Complicated maintenance, high consumption...

Arthur, was upset with the comment and replied:

Excuse me, but didn't you invent the woman?

Yes, it was me!  - Answered God.

Well, here among us, from professional to professional, many were not at all happy with your invention either!
 There is a lot of inconsistency in the front suspension;
 It is very noisy and chatty at high speeds;
 In most cases, the rear suspension is too soft and vibrates too much;
 The leisure area is located too close to the recycling area;
 Maintenance costs are exorbitant.

God reflected and answered:
 Yes, it's true that my invention has defects, but according to the data I gathered, there are many more men mounted on my invention than on yours...

And both of them can put a smile on your face :)

6 hours ago, Andymann said:

Thanks, @Wannabe suggested him as well. He said he can help out, R15k for the rebuild (including sourcing the parts + labour).

52 minutes ago, Andrew_Smith said:

Thanks, @Wannabe suggested him as well. He said he can help out, R15k for the rebuild (including sourcing the parts + labour).

That is 15K you did not want to spend on the build I am sure, but it is 15k for a pro to do a pro job with the parts....so that looks decent?

3 hours ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

That is 15K you did not want to spend on the build I am sure, but it is 15k for a pro to do a pro job with the parts....so that looks decent?

100% correct.

I had a deep discussion with my biker friend - he said you don't buy a bike for business to make money on it later on, you buy it with your heart and I love the bike, so would love to fix it to get it going again.

R15k is pretty decent considering BMW Stellenbosch quoted another G450X R20k for an engine rebuild back in 2019.

Thats why in the 2 stroke community we always say to factor in a rebuild in the purchase price.
Not expected on a 4 stroke but those single cylinder, high performance engines have tight tolerances. 
At least then you will know that you have many happy miles ahead of you. Selling it on will really bug you, especially if your morals are high.