Prescription riding glasses

Spirog

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very happy with my Rudys with the inserts.

Do you have plastic or glass lenses in your inserts? Mine fogs up a lot when riding when there are very different temperatures.

Plastic inserts. No way my optometrist would do glass for outdoor and sports use. Not cheap cos they are a very high density plastic, but worth every cent.

My wife had a bad fall cycling in the suburbs while wearing her normal day glasses. She landed on her face and broke her glasses. They had polycarbonate lenses. She got cut by the broken lens and ended up with stitches in her eye brow. Things could have been a lot worse. Now neither of us wear any eye glasses while cycling.

What material are the prescription lenses in the Oakly's and Project Rudy's made made from? Do they provide protection to prevent the rider getting injured if the lens brakes? In particular how would the insert prescription lenses fair in a crash situation?

Oakley with photochromic lenses - go chat to your optometrist.

Most med aids will chip in...

Aayuni Optical in Observatory did my Jawbones.

My wife had a bad fall cycling in the suburbs while wearing her normal day glasses. She landed on her face and broke her glasses. They had polycarbonate lenses. She got cut by the broken lens and ended up with stitches in her eye brow. Things could have been a lot worse. Now neither of us wear any eye glasses while cycling.

What material are the prescription lenses in the Oakly's and Project Rudy's made made from? Do they provide protection to prevent the rider getting injured if the lens brakes? In particular how would the insert prescription lenses fair in a crash situation?

Speaking for Oakley's not sure about the rest but the lenses are nearly indestructible and can't shatter or break I know a guy who drove over his and it just bent the lens. I think they must be some type of plastic?

i24, it would depend on the lab making them I guess, but my inserts are a high density plastic and have been sent flying and stomped on by my small little 35kg mutts and they are fine. I've also had my share of tumbles with no issue. Not using protective specs runs the risk of road/trail debris getting in your eyes, so even folks who don't require vision correction should actually use them.

They call it Plutonite - but ALL sports eyewear is made from either Polycarbonate or Trivex.

I wear multi-focal glasses permanently. I need glasses to see both near and far.

What is the best solution to fit prescription lenses into a cycle glasses frame?

I was in a similar predicament and personally tried the Adidas and Rudy clip-in lenses and found them less that ideal. Quite k@k actually.

Despite lnot being a fan of the brand, i had my optometrist talk me into the Oakley solution.

It is streets ahead. She logged my prescription into the Oakley online system and 5 days later the lenses, with the tint I wanted in the frame of my choice were waiting for me to pick up.

They work brilliantly.

Not using protective specs runs the risk of road/trail debris getting in your eyes, so even folks who don't require vision correction should actually use them.

So much this. Forgot my sunnies at home the other day, friend offered me a spare pair. Almost said no then decided why not. Within 15 minutes I took a rock to one lens and got klapped by a thin hard branch accross the eyes. Even if it's cheap safety glasses, use them!

WW - consider a set of something like these - RX frames for a bit less than most... They also have frames that use optical inserts for fairly small change.

http://www.oceaneyewear.co.za/rx-frames/rx6.html

You are probably looking at new lenses every 2 - 3 years, depends how your eyes deteriorate...

Who stocks these in Jhb northern subs

They call it Plutonite - but ALL sports eyewear is made from either Polycarbonate or Trivex.

Is there something special in the geometry, thickness or frames that make sports eyewear tougher than normal polycarbonate eyeglasses? Or did my wife's pair just take a freak blow to make her one lens shatter?

I need to look into this.. wonder if Rudy, do prescription transition lenses..

I wear contacts. . But sometimes the dust can mess around with them.

I have the normal rydon with the inserts as your prescription changes you can change the lense on the inserts, due to the sunglasses being the standard lenses you can interchange to take the photochromic lenses or dark polarized lenses.

Hi Guys

Great to hear the feedback regarding various prescription options out there.

Rudy Project has the widest range of Sport prescription options available to people to use in various sport.

The options include the following :

Multifocal and single vision lens options, lens colour options do include the

Photochromic Clear , this is the best option for Cycling.

Inserts that fit behind the stock lens options.

Direct Clip in options , meaning a Clip in lens directly fitting in to the Frame like the standard lenses.

Or the Direct prescription or Impact RX, This is the top of the range lens featuring lens technology called NXT, this material is guaranteed unbreakable for life.

PM me I can connect you to the best Optometrist to help with the best options in the Rudy Project range.

Who stocks these in Jhb northern subs

I have seen some for sale at the sunglasses shops in Cresta - but you can deal directly with them via their website, the selection is much bigger, and they are happy to answer questions.