Prescription riding glasses

Spirog

You will pay around 5k and more for Oakley or Rudy prescription lenses.

I used a Jawbone, made with photochromatic lenses, and loved it (now used as driving glasses).

Now I use the Rudy with inserts, GREAT.

Just if you do a lot of night riding, do the ante reflect layers as well.

Happy riding

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen some for sale at the sunglasses shops in Cresta - but you can deal directly with them via their website, the selection is much bigger, and they are happy to answer questions.

Like to see/feel and fit in real life...

Thanx

• 5 weeks later...

As an optician I will only recommend 2 options for sport use in multifocal/progressive addition lenses, and that is in order of preference and quality:

1. Zeiss Sport range of progressives - they are really without peer.

2. Oakley progressive lenses.

Anything else does not even come close and are potentially risky.

I could give a boring optics lesson, but trust me, they are the only ones I would even consider.

Francois, as an optician, can one get them done through you?

• 4 months later...

A question around this and medical aids. Is there medical aids that have better eye care benefits or a form of add-on cover one can get to supplement what the medical aid covers? 

I'm asking as I'm on Medihelp Dimension Prime 3 and it only covers the most basic frame and lens.  For the Nike frame and photochromic prescription lenses with anti-glare coating alone I was already way out of pocket.  They don't provide a cent towards other glasses like the Rudy's I got a quote for. 

im not too sure what you are looking for OP, but i think its because it has been a long day and the guy upstairs has clocked early.

anyways, a frame suggestion - i'm using the Nike Flex frame. I dont know how it compares to adidas but it fits the lenses well (no interchanging though) and the frame can litterally fold outwards and flex along the nose bridge, so at least the frame will survive falling on rocks (lenses may scratch).

so yeah, maybe the nike flex frame fits the description you are looking for

A question around this and medical aids. Is there medical aids that have better eye care benefits or a form of add-on cover one can get to supplement what the medical aid covers? 

I'm asking as I'm on Medihelp Dimension Prime 3 and it only covers the most basic frame and lens.  For the Nike frame and photochromic prescription lenses with anti-glare coating alone I was already way out of pocket.  They don't provide a cent towards other glasses like the Rudy's I got a quote for. 

None that I know of. I have been on tons and they are all the same. Best so far has been discovery I suppose as you can use your savings for what you want. I've basically switched to using contact lenses as it costs me about R1600 a year for a supply and then paid R4500 cash for a new frame and lenses. That way I can at least use regular sunglasses while cycling.

Is it worth getting multifocals for cycling glasses? Or do people just use the long distance lenses?

Sorry to bump this, but is going the multifocals route worth the extra cost? Or should it be fine with single vision lenses?

As an optician I will only recommend 2 options for sport use in multifocal/progressive addition lenses, and that is in order of preference and quality:

1. Zeiss Sport range of progressives - they are really without peer.

2. Oakley progressive lenses.

Anything else does not even come close and are potentially risky.

I could give a boring optics lesson, but trust me, they are the only ones I would even consider.

Hi Guys

Just to clarify , Rudy Project produces direct prescription Multifocal as well as Single vision lenses in freeform design . These lenses are specifically designed for sport.

The Impact RX is the worlds most advanced digital back surface lens program.

Rudy Project also have a exciting new product called the direct clip in RX system for their frames.

Feel free to visit the following link to the online catalogue

http://issuu.com/rudyproject/docs/2015_catalog

I am also an optician would gladly assist with questions you might have.

Cheers

None that I know of. I have been on tons and they are all the same. Best so far has been discovery I suppose as you can use your savings for what you want. I've basically switched to using contact lenses as it costs me about R1600 a year for a supply and then paid R4500 cash for a new frame and lenses. That way I can at least use regular sunglasses while cycling.

Thanks for the info! 

Do you wear contacts daily or is the 1.6k for contacts for riding only? 

I'm considering giving them a bash for riding/running for a trial seeing as the other options are so expensive.  

Thanks for the info!

Do you wear contacts daily or is the 1.6k for contacts for riding only?

I'm considering giving them a bash for riding/running for a trial seeing as the other options are so expensive.

I wear monthlies. So from 7 to 7 or so I wear contacts (nearsighted) and then glasses after that for my eyes to rest. Dailies and monthly work out to around the same price. I just started on monthlies so kept using them. The R1600 covers my lenses for the entire year. I buy from lensesonly.Co.za. All optometrists have sample lenses they can give to you to try, just ask when you next go for an eye test (you have to beforehand to measure your eyes). Contacts for me changed my life. Easiest transition ever. Edited by Vangar

• 4 years later...

I intend to buy a set of Rudy Project Optical Dock inserts. Any optometrist can have locally made prescription lenses put into the individual lens 'frames'which the clip separately into the Rudy Project Rydon frame.

I currently use the rx inserts which clip behind the normal lenses but I find that they quickly become messed up by wet eyelashes. The Docks will keep the lenses away from my eyes as do standard glasses.

Finding an optometrist who is willing to think outside the norm and enquire at ASG about supply and cost is proving fruitless. The few i have tried cannot expand their thinking beyond what they have always supplied. Asg simply tell my lbs that i must find a suitable optometrist.

Any Hubber know of a shop who specializes in sports orientated specs? Ideally near Jozi. I would value your input.

I intend to buy a set of Rudy Project Optical Dock inserts. Any optometrist can have locally made prescription lenses put into the individual lens 'frames'which the clip separately into the Rudy Project Rydon frame.

I currently use the rx inserts which clip behind the normal lenses but I find that they quickly become messed up by wet eyelashes. The Docks will keep the lenses away from my eyes as do standard glasses.

Finding an optometrist who is willing to think outside the norm and enquire at ASG about supply and cost is proving fruitless. The few i have tried cannot expand their thinking beyond what they have always supplied. Asg simply tell my lbs that i must find a suitable optometrist.

Any Hubber know of a shop who specializes in sports orientated specs? Ideally near Jozi. I would value your input.

you could try Spectacle Warehouse in Atterbury - give them a call. i think they do rudy project glasses.

i also know they cut their own lenses in store. 

they might be able to help.

i cannot do soft contacts. my eyes are to dry. that then dries up the contact and i eventually get a hell of a headache from it.

my eyes do not qualify for laser surgery so that out.

As a last ditch effort i tried scleral lenses. effectively they are hard, large contacts.

they are fantastic. i have far better comfort with them.

About R9k all in and if your script does not move they will last up to 20 years i am told.

best place to go is spectacle warehouse atterbury for them.

they are the only place i could find that has ALL of the machines to properly fit scleral lenses.

its a bit of a hack driving through from JHB but in the ends it's been worth it.

I have a contact that can cut prescription lense to almost any frame. I did my Adidas Evil eye and Rudy Project at almost half the price.