Speedy recovery Sliiick

DR ◣◢

Hey guys. Thanks for the good vibes.

It was the bombhole below Old Parks. Done that jump more than 20 times - the big one on the left. Was the first time that the rear tyre squirmed as the bike loaded up into the face of the jump. That just sent going over to the left and missing the landing. In such situations I would usually coil up into a foetal position and take out on the shoulder but I think my bruised ribs affected the instinctive reaction by sticking out the arm. Not so good when the wrist is already reinforced. I looked down and wondered why my arm looked so small. Then I saw the arm hanging and the bones covered in dirt. Thank the Lord there was no bleeding. I wish I could tell you that out was spectacular but Nofearnofun said it looked tame...

I think he was more traumatised than I was. We had parked at the Bundaberg gate so it was a bit of a walk with the arm becoming more painful with every step l have to thanks Les for getting me up and moving as quickly as possible so that the adrenalin could help at least part of the way. And he got me to the Mediclinic as quickly and smoothly as he could in Friday rush hour.

I was operated on at 9pm that night where they put a "nail" type of pin through from the elbow and attached it to the existing wrist plate. They spent a lot of time flushing and trying to clean the wound out as the bone end was covered in some quantity of Spruit "mud".

The wound was left open and tomorrow they will being going in again to clean, attach another plate and do a skin graft. Then in 6 weeks time they will go in again to do a bone graft. By the way, reward for anyone finding 4-5cm of missing bone.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eina ***! Jees bro, you did it properly this time! Heal up fast and remember the pom poms next time. I think you'll be cheerleader for a while given the level of this particular fail!

Look at it this way. At least you did the job properly!

Oh Sh1teeee, your bone poked through the meat and went into the dirt and a piece snapped off?

I'm trying really hard not to picture it happening because it's making me feel really ill.

Oh my, well thank thank goodness for modern medicine, 60 odd yrs ago with a break this severe they would probably have had no other option but to amputate your hand. Yikes this makes me think

Oh Sh1teeee, your bone poked through the meat and went into the dirt and a piece snapped off?

I'm trying really hard not to picture it happening because it's making me feel really ill.

Oh my, well thank thank goodness for modern medicine, 60 odd yrs ago with a break this severe they would probably have had no other option but to amputate your hand. Yikes this makes me think

Don't worry it makes me ill too.

Eina!

That's hectic!

Heel up soon man!

& to think I am always worried of breaking a collar bone...

PS: How big is the jump?

Not ideal Slick. Sorry to hear about the tough break. You and Aubs have both now left bits of bone on or near jump landings.

All the best for the recovery. I really hope all goes well and you're back on the bike ASAP