SAA 'loses' Ironman athlete's bicycle

Hearts*

Cape Town - An Argentine tri-athlete has slammed SAA for ruining his experience of Iron Man South Africa and upsetting his season’s training schedule after a case with more than R100 000 worth of sports equipment (including a custom Cervélo triathlon bicycle) went missing on a flight from Sao Paulo to Joburg.

The airline’s eventual offer to compensate him for a little over a tenth of the estimated value of his gear has infuriated Carlos Catuogno.

Catuogno, 40, is a tri-athlete from San Luis, Argentina, who competes regularly in races around South America. After his first “nightmarish” trip, he’s levelled threats of legal action against the airline and has called on other athletes to boycott SAA.

In e-mail correspondence with the Cape Argus from his home in San Luis, Catuogno spoke of his frustration: “Today I cannot plan any future competition because I don’t have the equipment and it will take me a long time to purchase it again. So clearly they are damaging my current sports performance.”

After hearing positive reviews about the international Ironman triathlon series’ South African leg, which takes place in Port Elizabeth annually, Catuogno decided to train towards the competition, his first outside of South America.

“The time to prepare for an Ironman takes more than a year and the most demanding stage is the cycling part because it is the longest of the competition,” he explained.

“The results are directly influenced by (one’s mental state). I spent the day before the competition completely stressed, sleepless and doing (inquiries about my bicycle)… I have flown to other sports events with my bike and I never had any problem. This was my first time with South African Airlines and the experience was dreadful.”

With the help of a good Samaritan, a South African athlete who lent him a bicycle and running shoes, Catuogno completed the race regardless. But he feels his performance was sub-par. Further, his week-long South African holiday planned for after the event was ruined by constant trips to and from Port Elizabeth airport, police stations and phone calls to authorities.

After weeks of inquiries, while still in South Africa and after returning home, Catuogno got a response from SAA a little over a week ago.

Iain Worley, a customer care executive, told him the Montreal Convention stipulated a “maximum liability” of an air carrier for losses incurred. This limit is set at $1 770 (about R18 000). Follow-up queries by the Cape Argus to SAA went unanswered.

Catuogno has refused to accept the offer of compensation. “I do not understand how it is possible to lose a bike case which weighs 30kg and the fact that nobody knows what happened.” - Cape Argus

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Catuogno has refused to accept the offer of compensation. “I do not understand how it is possible to lose a bike case which weighs 30kg and the fact that nobody knows what happened.” - Cape Argus

He needs to get a lighter bike. R100k for 30kgs where did he get it - Cycle Science?

He said "bike case" which I assume perhaps includes other non-bike items, e.g. helmet, clothes, spares, etc.

Sure Andy, I was being facetious. These disputes happen hundreds of times a day around the world and just shows that people need to insure their stuff. Airlines always start off stating what their obligated to pay and its a negotiation from there.

Easy...it wasn't lost....it was stolen.

Our national airline "recapitalisation" tax bailouts are disappearing down a black hole.

That said, he could have insured his equipment with CycleSure :whistling:

Typical of this useless airline and the staff that work for it.

We have these problems because there's no accountability for anything "lost" stolen or damaged.

We have these problems because there's no accountability for anything "lost" stolen or damaged.

Pretty much like any of the coloured carriers today....

SAA managed to lose 3 of my bags in 3 flights.One was found at least.

They paid me out $120 and that at least covered one of my pairs of Merrell shoes in the bag.Worst part was the shoes were brand new as i had bought them on a special at Cape Union Mart.

The baggage handlers are a bunch of skelms.

HE should find an employee named Monday because the baggage tag said "Arrival for Monday"

so he took it because it was for him.

The last time I flew SAA my Bianchi never made the return trip from Capetown to Joburg. Unfortunately I was not insured and ended up receiving a miserable R2500 in compensation from SAA. This was also the last time I ever flew SAA. Point is these days you insure everything and expect the worst.

Sorry to hear the bad news but I am not in the least surprised. SAA its management and staff are a bunch of oxygen thieves amongst other.

Who doesn't insure a 100 grand bike when it is going internationally anyway...

You have a point but internationals are not like us in that they spend their last pennies protecting what little they have. They spend their pennies on enjoyment, we spend ours to keep safe

Not really, even if you do not protect from theft, the possibility of damage in transit is possible(anywhere you travel), even in a bikebox