Trail Runners in Tokai...

SpyDude

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok i stand to be corrected and i concede that point. Must have missed that post.

No worries :thumbup:

Hey i am going on the warnings posted on FB trail builders group and the Tygerberg groups.

As per normal there wasnt much coming in that regard from the "official page" If anything that rumor should have been put to rest by the offical elected committee right then and there, but it wasn't.

Personally i have been riding in tokai since the late 80's never in my life have i ridden on a horse trail and have always paid my gate fee. This string started out as a concern for SAFETY... the one point the joggers just cant seem to understand. Blame everything and everyone else else but themselves

Perhaps if safety was your concern you could try to be less offensive and abrasive, you don't help the cause for safety at all, and your attitude can do nothing but hurt relations between trail runners and mountain bikers.

SpyDude, Since those postings on the Trailbuilders facebook page (and Tygerberg groups), we have been trying to find the source of this rumour about police on quads arresting mtbers.

Turns out, all we can find out is that its seems to have happened to 'a friend of a guy, that some guy knows' and other stories like that. I questioned the OP ( I think) about it last night and he says the story came from a client of the shop he works at, so we really can't comment on whether it happened or not, but somehow we doubt it. More likely that those police on quads were there looking for muggers (trying to help us!)

Anyway, both those pages aren't official pages representing TokaiMTB so if it's not on the TokaiMTB facebook page or posted by 'TokaiMTB' on the hub or the AmaTokai Twitter account then please don't assume anything is the official word ;)

Just remember that we at TokaiMTB have full time jobs on top of all this and squashing rumours isn't high on the list of important Tokai issues. Trails are our most important issue so if everyone can help us in this regard it would be great!

Edited by TokaiMTB

Perhaps if safety was your concern you could try to be less offensive and abrasive, you don't help the cause for safety at all, and your attitude can do nothing but hurt relations between trail runners and mountain bikers.

Pot > Kettle > Black imho

But i stand by my last comment Red Zone, you sound like one selfish bloke bru.. Sure i might be agro, when my life and the life of my friends is in danger, natural reaction.

You just cant seem to see the bigger picture, guess it boils down to simple greed hey.

Edited by SpyDude

Hey SpyDude, nice comments there ...

"trails are infested with joggers"

"runners are growing like a cancer"

Just the kinds of things to say to help solve the problem :ph34r: :thumbup:

Hey SpyDude, nice comments there ...

"trails are infested with joggers"

"runners are growing like a cancer"

Just the kinds of things to say to help solve the problem :ph34r: :thumbup:

That's my point exactly, also comments about aiming or crashing into girls with large breasts is not exactly adding to the debate. Nor is calling the trail runners "dumbass joggers" 10 posts or something on the hub... perhaps I have just been taken by some troll bait... oops I should have seen the signs. Anyway no point debating with this dude.

Well... they are... Trail running is the new black bru, ubber trendy... In one year the numbers have grown massively, and now it seems we are just going to concede the only two little (and i say little if you compare them to Jonkers or Paarl) trails we have in Tokai to the joggers.. We going to all ride with bells on and stop at the sight of a jogger for fear of touching him/her and getting the whole of cycling banned on the mountain.. so ya, reaction to a threat :ph34r: :thumbup:

That's my point exactly, also comments about aiming or crashing into girls with large breasts is not exactly adding to the debate. Nor is calling the trail runners "dumbass joggers" 10 posts or something on the hub... perhaps I have just been taken by some troll bait... oops I should have seen the signs. Anyway no point debating with this dude.

You don't debate

Easy peasy, move to Gauteng, we don't even have a mountain so you'll have no problems here :)

This might be a silly suggestion but why not invite the runners for an "expedition day" type of thing? Have them stand around and watch you maniacs (and I say this in a good way) come down the trail at speed. Tell them that that is what those specific trails are there for, that is why you guys help build and maintain them. As a last "demonstration" have someone ride down as fast as he can and hit a "pinata" on the way down. And then, ask some of them if they would like to be the pinata.

This is all meant in jest of course but I think a little bit of understanding goes a long way. I don't think that most runners "don't respect the speed" or whatever, maybe they are just not thinking about that when they are running. I don't know the area at all but I bet if they are informed and warned, in a polite way, that they would run somewhere else.

... and I thought you capies where all so layed back... :blink:

Guess, like everything, there will only be a problem when someone gets hurt... oh well... its gonna happen. Cant say i didn't tell you so then hey.

Either way, i don't spend my time on here, generally tend to avoid it cos people get stuck into personal attacks and miss the bigger picture, guess i took the TROLL bait there too hey RED ZONE..

I do notice how its all focused on me now and not the bigger picture. Again... GREED RULES... oh well, happy Jogging.

You know i like to jog too, especially when i need a dump in the loo....

TokaiMTB will be having a meeting with Trail and Tar joggers sometime (probably next week) to discuss this. We'll report back when we have heard what the joggers think of all this.

OK, long day done and I can breathe again, so here's my 2c:

1 I have had no issue with sharing the trails with runners. The Trail & Tar guys are always polite. I like that many people use the place because it keeps the muggers out.

2 The numbers of both runners and riders have increased hugely over the past few years. This make sharing bi-directional trails dangerous, be it with riders or runners. It should be dealt with as a safety issue, not a turf war.

3 We need more uni-directional single track in Tokai, especially UP single track.

4 I can see that sharing UP single track with runners could work well

5 I think that strictly DOWN single track should rather not be shared

6 This should be discussed in a grown up fashion between the running and cycling groups. The hot heads should be kept away from the round table

7 I am happy for the Tokai MTB committee to handle this on our behalf, that is exactly why we voted them in

How much of this is a real safety issue and how much is 'them' using 'our' stuff issue? I can't see how a trail runner going up single track is more dangerous than a cyclist going up single track. In my opinion, the most dangerous part about Vasbyt is the DH trail that runs parallel to the road which crosses the trail at certain points.

It also seems like a bit of a storm in a tea cup, except for the large trail and tar groups, i see very few trail runners in Tokai.

I would hate to see trails become one way only, it effectively halves the amount of trails to ride! (That said i spend more time trail running than riding at the moment...)

Hey Deon, hope you have someone on the committee who runs...

Dan Dobinson has said he does