GoPro captures gunpoint mountain bike robbery in Somerset West

Gerlach

I disagree with you there. I ride armed and I would have reacted as follows: the perp came from the right, running across an open piece of veld. Immediately you would have assessed his intention and see that he was angling to get in front to cut you off. at that stage i would have stopped as quickly as possible and dumped the bike (i estimate the distance then to be 10-15m between us) and at the same time backing away, still facing the perp. The perp will focus first on the bike lying down and not on the rider backing away. This will be an oppurtune time to draw and engage.

In the footage the perp almost drops the pistol when trying to get a proper grip on it. I would back myself in THIS scenario to be able to stop this.

I must add I have practiced drawing from concealed in riding gear and can draw and fire within 2-3 seconds. I do club shoots twice a week at least. Remember each scenario will differ and may require a different action of engagement. my 2c...

Sooo.. you shoot the guy...Congratulations! Now you end up in jail and locked away for whatever...and then Pappa gets hold of you!!

Our criminal ahve more rights than the victims...did you not know??

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This Phucker was pretty stooopid?

I use to be a second hand buyer for Cash Converters Somerset West. This is why I say never underestimate these guys.

But without a doubt these tik koppies where still tikkieland and this probably led to their downfall.

I say lets tie them to the track. The goods train comes through a 8pm each night.

I disagree with you there. I ride armed and I would have reacted as follows: the perp came from the right, running across an open piece of veld. Immediately you would have assessed his intention and see that he was angling to get in front to cut you off. at that stage i would have stopped as quickly as possible and dumped the bike (i estimate the distance then to be 10-15m between us) and at the same time backing away, still facing the perp. The perp will focus first on the bike lying down and not on the rider backing away. This will be an oppurtune time to draw and engage.

In the footage the perp almost drops the pistol when trying to get a proper grip on it. I would back myself in THIS scenario to be able to stop this.

I must add I have practiced drawing from concealed in riding gear and can draw and fire within 2-3 seconds. I do club shoots twice a week at least. Remember each scenario will differ and may require a different action of engagement. my 2c...

Just curious as to where you carry the firearm when you ride?

PerpS. As in 3.

I hope to hell you're that good. Shooting 3 perps in 3 different directions before 1 perp with a gun aimed at you can pull the trigger is a tough call.

Each to his own and different scenarios require different strategies but I reckon 9 times out of 10 all the farkers want is your bike and cellphone.

Hand it over and get a shiny new one from insurance would be my default setting. It's frustrating as hell but the safest option (in the majority of a cases).

That's why I don't cycle with a firearm, chances are that rather than you protecting yourself you get yourself killed and the next bike jacking takes place with two armed "perps" instead of one.

Or they form another little group of three musketeers with a gun and bike jackings double in that area. Of course this would not be my problem since I would be dead but it would suck for the rest of you.

Nice outcome for you, assuming there wasn't a guy in the bush behind you that Potted you while you were shooting his mate. Not so nice for the next cyclist when a bunch of Tikheads realised it's safer to just shoot the person before approaching in case they also have a gun.

My first reaction was: "damn, I'm gonna get a gun license and start packing."

But what would the legal issues be from shooting someone in this case?

And all it take is for one of the three other hijackers to have a gun and shoot you in the back. And your career as an action movie star lasts a whole 43 seconds :thumbup: Too many variables for me. I'd just give them the silly bike.

Edited by Nick.

Too many variables for me. I'd just give them the silly bike.

+1

Just stay calm like the guy in the video does.

PLEASE DON'T RIDE ALONE

Sorry I couldn't put myself through reading three pages of "you should have done this" Rambo cr*p, so can someone please tell me whether these guys were apprehended and charged?

The brief bit at the beginning seems to hint that they were.

+1

Just stay calm like the guy in the video does.

PLEASE DON'T RIDE ALONE

There, the STF has spoken ;)

And what would the outcome of this case be? 5 days cleaning streets and a R100 fine......

Tell The Hub which street he'll be cleaning and he'll probably have an assortment of used cassettes from the used cassette thread inserted forcibly into his bum.

I just want to put it out there, don't think that one, two or 10 self defines courses will make you ready to be a Rambo.

And if I watched all the movies ?

Geez guys i should have put my flame suit on first.

In my post I said that is what I would do. And NO i would not go to jail.

It is clear there are many opinions about this and countless threads prior to this about what to do, what to carry. Every one has his own preference. To those with the "remarks" you clearly do not know anything about use of force and self defence requirements. Not judging anyone here. so let me clarify.

To those who doubt:

In this instance the perp is carrying a pistol. Most probably in the process of pointing a firearm at you. It is clear what his intentions are. The requirements for self defence is -

1. the attack must be unlawful. (clearly in this case)

2. the attack must be imminent or have commenced (in this case it has commenced, perp has pistol in hand)

3. The attack must be against your person ( clearly in this case)

4. Force used must be proportional to that of the attack. (perp has gun, so use of firearm will be lawful)

This is a clear cut scenario where the use of deadly force will be justifiable. The legal term is justifiable homocide. The perp does not have to commence firing. The mere pointing of the firearm is sufficient for use of deadly force.

I can guarantee 200% that the accomplices will scatter and run for the hills at the sound of the first shot been fired. Let them run, they are not the immediate threat.

If you have the oppurtunity please go to you tube and watch the combat shooting videos. You will see that engaging 3-4 targets in mere seconds is quite possible FOR SOMEONE WHO TRAINS REGULARLY.

I carry my pistol in a specially design waist band holster. It sits snug to my side under my cycling shirt. I merely have to lift my shirt and draw. You cannot see it as it does not create a bulge or impression. The idea is to give yourself space to react. as i said every scenario may be different.

No I am not Rambo but seeing this footage is great as it shows you exactly how it goes down. How many of you have run this same or similar scenarios in your mind as a preparation for what to do when it happens. mental conditioning is vital.

I work in an environment where mental conditioning and preparedness is critical.

I hope this explains it a bit.

Flame suit on again....

Geez guys i should have put my flame suit on first.

In my post I said that is what I would do. And NO i would not go to jail.

It is clear there are many opinions about this and countless threads prior to this about what to do, what to carry. Every one has his own preference. To those with the "remarks" you clearly do not know anything about use of force and self defence requirements. Not judging anyone here. so let me clarify.

To those who doubt:

In this instance the perp is carrying a pistol. Most probably in the process of pointing a firearm at you. It is clear what his intentions are. The requirements for self defence is -

1. the attack must be unlawful. (clearly in this case)

2. the attack must be imminent or have commenced (in this case it has commenced, perp has pistol in hand)

3. The attack must be against your person ( clearly in this case)

4. Force used must be proportional to that of the attack. (perp has gun, so use of firearm will be lawful)

This is a clear cut scenario where the use of deadly force will be justifiable. The legal term is justifiable homocide. The perp does not have to commence firing. The mere pointing of the firearm is sufficient for use of deadly force.

I can guarantee 200% that the accomplices will scatter and run for the hills at the sound of the first shot been fired. Let them run, they are not the immediate threat.

If you have the oppurtunity please go to you tube and watch the combat shooting videos. You will see that engaging 3-4 targets in mere seconds is quite possible FOR SOMEONE WHO TRAINS REGULARLY.

I carry my pistol in a specially design waist band holster. It sits snug to my side under my cycling shirt. I merely have to lift my shirt and draw. You cannot see it as it does not create a bulge or impression. The idea is to give yourself space to react. as i said every scenario may be different.

No I am not Rambo but seeing this footage is great as it shows you exactly how it goes down. How many of you have run this same or similar scenarios in your mind as a preparation for what to do when it happens. mental conditioning is vital.

I work in an environment where mental conditioning and preparedness is critical.

I hope this explains it a bit.

Flame suit on again....

No you can't....really the issue here...there are NO guarantees. I am not willing to bet my life on your 200% odds

I just want to put it out there, don't think that one, two or 10 self defines courses will make you ready to be a Rambo.

There are a few proper Chuck Norris types on the hub, but for most of us it's yes sir, have a bike sir and call your insurance broker when you've changed your trousers.