GoPro captures gunpoint mountain bike robbery in Somerset West

Gerlach

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And if I watched all the movies ?

My first instinct when I read your post was.

http://continuumissues.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/timgunngif.gif

Then I thought about it for a minute and now I am more like this.

http://media.tumblr.com/215d17679c920f6d2c23ada104f31f37/tumblr_inline_mwmt2z1YxC1rx15h5.gif

If you have the oppurtunity please go to you tube and watch the combat shooting videos. You will see that engaging 3-4 targets in mere seconds is quite possible FOR SOMEONE WHO TRAINS REGULARLY.

For someone who trains regularly shooting tiked up moving human targets in surprise situations outside of a controlled environment? Because then by all means go ahead.

I remember the first thing we learnt in boxing, if there is any opportunity to avoid a physical conflict then take that option no matter how confident you are of the outcome.

Geez guys i should have put my flame suit on first.

In my post I said that is what I would do. And NO i would not go to jail.

It is clear there are many opinions about this and countless threads prior to this about what to do, what to carry. Every one has his own preference. To those with the "remarks" you clearly do not know anything about use of force and self defence requirements. Not judging anyone here. so let me clarify.

To those who doubt:

In this instance the perp is carrying a pistol. Most probably in the process of pointing a firearm at you. It is clear what his intentions are. The requirements for self defence is -

1. the attack must be unlawful. (clearly in this case)

2. the attack must be imminent or have commenced (in this case it has commenced, perp has pistol in hand)

3. The attack must be against your person ( clearly in this case)

4. Force used must be proportional to that of the attack. (perp has gun, so use of firearm will be lawful)

This is a clear cut scenario where the use of deadly force will be justifiable. The legal term is justifiable homocide. The perp does not have to commence firing. The mere pointing of the firearm is sufficient for use of deadly force.

I can guarantee 200% that the accomplices will scatter and run for the hills at the sound of the first shot been fired. Let them run, they are not the immediate threat.

If you have the oppurtunity please go to you tube and watch the combat shooting videos. You will see that engaging 3-4 targets in mere seconds is quite possible FOR SOMEONE WHO TRAINS REGULARLY.

I carry my pistol in a specially design waist band holster. It sits snug to my side under my cycling shirt. I merely have to lift my shirt and draw. You cannot see it as it does not create a bulge or impression. The idea is to give yourself space to react. as i said every scenario may be different.

No I am not Rambo but seeing this footage is great as it shows you exactly how it goes down. How many of you have run this same or similar scenarios in your mind as a preparation for what to do when it happens. mental conditioning is vital.

I work in an environment where mental conditioning and preparedness is critical.

I hope this explains it a bit.

Flame suit on again....

Id rather have one meeting with my insurance company than sit for a year or more trying to defend why I should not be in jail for defending myself.

Edited by Johnstoneighty6

Id rather have one meeting with my insurance company than sit for a year or more trying to defend why I should not be in jail for defending myself.

And that is the best case scenario....worst we looking at your wife and kids identifying you in the morgue.

No you can't....really the issue here...there are NO guarantees. I am not willing to bet my life on your 200% odds

These guys are low down on the food chain. Robbing cyclist for bike and cell, phone for drug money. I have been in situations and believe me they run for the hills. I have also watched and analyzed cctv footage where the more serious armed robbers (car hijacking and house robbery types), scatter when the first shots go off.

However you cannot be sure what they will do. I remember a case of a gauteng family on holiday down in Mossel Bay about three years ago. Four armed robbers enter house. tie every one up. The man of the house complies to all requests. opens safe and hands over cash. What do these F@ckers do - on the way out they execute him in front of his wife and kids - for no reason.

So I will take the oppurtunity if it presents itself to do something to stop them.

I have seen to many 'victims" in my career. it is sad but it is what it is.

I disagree with you there. I ride armed and I would have reacted as follows: the perp came from the right, running across an open piece of veld. Immediately you would have assessed his intention and see that he was angling to get in front to cut you off. at that stage i would have stopped as quickly as possible and dumped the bike (i estimate the distance then to be 10-15m between us) and at the same time backing away, still facing the perp. The perp will focus first on the bike lying down and not on the rider backing away. This will be an oppurtune time to draw and engage. In the footage the perp almost drops the pistol when trying to get a proper grip on it. I would back myself in THIS scenario to be able to stop this. I must add I have practiced drawing from concealed in riding gear and can draw and fire within 2-3 seconds. I do club shoots twice a week at least. Remember each scenario will differ and may require a different action of engagement. my 2c...

my question to you.

i had the same happen to me with a hijacking.

except i was riding up a dik hill through trees. okes popped out from behind the trees. zero chance of doing anything in that circumstance. and then they find your gun...

i fully understand if you have the right gun training blah blah blah.

but in some circumstances its just not possible.

hence why i am all for the remain calm, give them what you want, and escape with your life.

and insurance... always insurance...

I can guarantee 200% that the accomplices will scatter and run for the hills at the sound of the first shot been fired. Let them run, they are not the immediate threat.

Maybe in the past but not anymore.You also can't see if perps 2+3 are armed or not.I can assure you that they are so high on tik that even if you hit them they wouldn't know it.

There is a very very big difference between shooting at steel and paper targets than shooting at a real person.A slight hesitation and you are dead and another gun in the hands of a criminal.

I carry my pistol in a specially design waist band holster. It sits snug to my side under my cycling shirt.

Have you done this off a moving bike when you are very tired and the adrenilin is pumping.Posibility is high that you could fall off the bike while trying to get it out

Ok might as well admit it , I am a Rambo without any official training and also if situation allows will not let the nice people take my stuff . In December a nice man tried to relieve me of my car by waving a knife at me , demanding we all get out so he can claim what was given to him by his govermunt . I did manage to take his knife and plant it into his arm pit . He ran of screaming like a pig (which he sure was not) hopefully to go and die slowly somewhere on a dump . So I suppose we don't all act the same .

These guys are low down on the food chain. Robbing cyclist for bike and cell, phone for drug money. I have been in situations and believe me they run for the hills. I have also watched and analyzed cctv footage where the more serious armed robbers (car hijacking and house robbery types), scatter when the first shots go off.

However you cannot be sure what they will do. I remember a case of a gauteng family on holiday down in Mossel Bay about three years ago. Four armed robbers enter house. tie every one up. The man of the house complies to all requests. opens safe and hands over cash. What do these F@ckers do - on the way out they execute him in front of his wife and kids - for no reason.

So I will take the oppurtunity if it presents itself to do something to stop them.

I have seen to many 'victims" in my career. it is sad but it is what it is.

In the end its all about odds....your best odds(living afterwards) are if you comply and do what they say....your worst odds are if you try and fight, surely you have to agree with me on this.

Hindsight is 20/20...and when my life and the livelyhood of my family is at stake...well I try and take the best odds.

I run there a lot with my two big dogs on leads, one on each side. How safe am I from something like this?

How long is a piece of string?