Campagnolo Athena 11 speed Vs Shimono Ultegra 11 speed

Duimpies

That's a pity, about a year ago I got my new Campy Chorus for about R11k from Totalcycling

I have an early 10 speed Chorus groupset that is now, I think, 10 years old and have seen a fair bit of road. Besides for a chain and cables the only issue I had was a little spring in one of the shifters that broke. The shifter was taken apart, a new spring was ordered and then the whole thing was re-built. With Shimano, yes I have some of those too, it would have meant replacing the whole shifter. I like Shimano, I love Campagnolo.

If you look at all the comparisons on the interwebs (and there are hundreds of them), Chorus is taken as equivalent to Dura Ace. Record and Super Record are the same (Shimano doesn't have an equivalent), other than a few titanium bits and the odd red strip.

With top end gruppos, one can compare weight to see what is equivalent to what. If Chorus and Dura Ace weigh the same, then it is a fair comparison imo. Performance of the groupset cant be judged on price. I have owned and ridden Chorus, Record, Dura Ace and Di2. There is no difference in performance between the top groupsets, only how the shifters work, looks and a bit of weight. Im convinced that your Argus time would not differ by one second if you rode Super Record or Ultegra, or Di2 for that matter.

The most important factor: ride what you like, all the to gruppos are very good.

Edited by Christie

i am very happy with my new Ultegra 11 speed groupset (6800)

the shifting is wow

best value for money - by far

i am really a huge Shimano fan :thumbup:

Groupset weights:

Athena = 2168

Ultegra = 2294. (Athena wins by 126 grams)

An outside conteder would be Force22, = 2152

It looks as if Ultegra is quite a bit heavier than the other contenders.

For interest:

Super Record = 1875

Dura Ace = 1998

Red22 = 1868 (the weight weenie champ)

Chorus = 2096 (not much ligter than Athena, perhaps not worth the extra money, then)

Edited by Christie

I have some Campag Gran Tourismo on one of my bikes and it's still going strong.

Also, benefit after all these years is that someone is willing to pay big R's for this old kit. Have a look at eBay and search for Campag Delta group sets and see what I mean.

Have a look at Bikeradar they have a write up of the new Athena released this week. Definitely the one to go for. You want a bicycle not a fishing rod.

Who in their right mind would even compare Campy to Shimano/SRAM ???

The companies do that themselves - Campy even copied a crank design frome somebody.

Edited by Christie

20k on groupset.... not worth it, not for my level of cycling... its not going to make me any faster

Edited by Duimpies