Abnormal Legs & Weight Training

I've tried searching and found a few suggestions but nothing overly specific.

I have a severe case of a lazy left leg and am starting to develop an abnormally massive right calf and knee pain. Time to hit the weights and get the left leg up to strength.

Any suggestions on which exercises to target at the gym? And also how to moderate the difference in training between legs. For example, do I go to gym and only do work on my left leg? Or do I do half the reps on the right?

I'm getting quite excited about the idea of finally cycling with both legs. I might even be a little quicker.

some suggestions:

1 leg curl supersetted with 1 leg extension

1 leg squat- put your one foot on the ground and the other up on a bench behind you. Hold dumbells in your hand. Squat down on your one leg to parallel and back up. Alternate legs each time but do double the reps on your lazy leg and don't use weights for your strong leg.

Superset this with one legged plyometric jumps- stand up on the leg you just squatted with and do 6 jumps as high as you can, as quickly as you can each time. (these are killer!)

Scissor lunges- one foot forward and one foot back. hold dumbells in your hands. Go down to parallel on your front leg and then back up but keep your legs apart at all times. (don't bring your feet together) Alternate legs each time front and back. As you do these more and get stronger, increase the distance between your legs so you are more stretched out.

Finish off with one leg calf raises. Alternate your legs but do less reps and less weight on your stronger leg.

Cheers...enjoy.

If you're around a gym with a wattbike, go give it a shot, the bike shows you pedaling efficiency for each leg, build up the muscle memory perhaps rather than purely trying to compensate using weights, cause vs symptoms you know.

Nadal is not symmetrical and he seems to be doing ok :ph34r: :P

wow, id be going to see someone who knows what they are doing.. not saying anyones suggestions are wrong, i don't know anything about this stuff but me in your shoes id be going to see a biokineticist...

I've tried searching and found a few suggestions but nothing overly specific.

I have a severe case of a lazy left leg and am starting to develop an abnormally massive right calf and knee pain. Time to hit the weights and get the left leg up to strength.

Any suggestions on which exercises to target at the gym? And also how to moderate the difference in training between legs. For example, do I go to gym and only do work on my left leg? Or do I do half the reps on the right?

I'm getting quite excited about the idea of finally cycling with both legs. I might even be a little quicker.

Sounds like you might have patellofemoral pain syndrome. This will not go away by just "hitting" some weights, or trying some kind of on-the-bike fix, you can easily make the condition worse if you do the wrong exercises and strain the weak leg too much. Besides, making your leg stronger might not address the core of the problem, as these muscle imbalances are many times caused by weak core muscles.

There is no quick fix for this. You need to go and see a physiotherapist or biokineticist, to first of all make a proper diagnosis and from there a recovery and strengthening plan can be implemented.

I went through the full above process after a very hard fall on my left knee. I started training before I was fully recovered and an imbalance was created.

My GP referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon who diagnosed me with patellofemoral pain syndrome, and he in turn referred me to a very good physiotherapist. After 10 weeks of doing my exercises everyday the physio cleared me for training again. I still do my exercises twice a week, and I have trained at full gas in running and cycling without any issues.

Sounds like you might have patellofemoral pain syndrome. This will not go away by just "hitting" some weights, or trying some kind of on-the-bike fix, you can easily make the condition worse if you do the wrong exercises and strain the weak leg too much. Besides, making your leg stronger might not address the core of the problem, as these muscle imbalances are many times caused by weak core muscles.

There is no quick fix for this. You need to go and see a physiotherapist or biokineticist, to first of all make a proper diagnosis and from there a recovery and strengthening plan can be implemented.

I went through the full above process after a very hard fall on my left knee. I started training before I was fully recovered and an imbalance was created.

My GP referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon who diagnosed me with patellofemoral pain syndrome, and he in turn referred me to a very good physiotherapist. After 10 weeks of doing my exercises everyday the physio cleared me for training again. I still do my exercises twice a week, and I have trained at full gas in running and cycling without any issues.

I am seeing a physio at the Rosebank Sports Institute. I'm doing all of the exercises to increase flexibility in the ankle that is causing the problem and she has confirmed that weight training on the leg will be beneficial. It's also causing my hips to misalign. So we're doing exercises to release this and realign.

Just need some specific weight exercises. Thanks!

Edited by skipperw

An obvious point is to do all your leg weight exercises single-leg. In other words, one leg at a time. Using both legs only makes the stronger leg stronger.

I had a situation where my quad was dominant on the left but my right hammie were stronger. Talk about being lopsided. Sorted it with single leg exercises targeting those muscles. I now do calfves singled-leg as well.

It's pretty simple to diagnose. Just do a few set of single leg extension, curls, presses, etc. and you'll quickly pick up which muscles need working.

Having said that, always get to a proper expert first.

• 1 month later...

I'd suggest you see a Biokineticist, and get isokinetic testing done so you know exactly what the deficits are. You will know what you are dealing with, track progress over time.

I'd suggest you see a Biokineticist, and get isokinetic testing done so you know exactly what the deficits are. You will know what you are dealing with, track progress over time.

Find the cause 1st before you start "treatment'....

Find the cause 1st before you start "treatment'....

Agree... Assumed the cause was sorted, as OP indicated he is under treatment at Rosebank Sports Medicine Clinic.