Mountain bike community launches anti-rogue riding campaign

News bot

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

great idea....just not sure how they'll actually implement it....anyone could appeal, need proof etc. but would be a real name and shame exercise

"will inform the relevant event organizers once a rogue rider has been found to be guilty of frequent illegal riding"

Exactly how are they going to identify the rogue riders? Ask them nicely for their names?

And how many chances do you get? Not exactly holding my breath that this is going to work..

I think the number of go-pro's and other camera equiped devices will make it easy to take a picture of the rogues....

begs the question of course what was the photographers doing there....

I know that some landowners are putting up motion sensor cameras. Imagine how bad it is when your leopard monitor cameras start to snap pictures of rogue mtbikers. Now they have learnt, and they'll use it to see who goes where!

Guest 1979

Excuse my ignorance, I don't really understand the term 'rogue riders'. Are these people riding on private land where trails exist but are not open to the public except for events or people riding on trails without paying? Or both?

Excuse my ignorance, I don't really understand the term 'rogue riders'. Are these people riding on private land where trails exist but are not open to the public except for events or people riding on trails without paying? Or both?

"group of selfish mountain bikers that are continuously trespassing on private property, riding illegally whenever and wherever they wish"

“These riders, known as rogue riders, also ride illegally on public MTB trails without bike permits, refusing to pay a small daily or annual fee."

Good initiative. Although I have strayed on to private land once or twice simply by getting lost. So as long as it's a fair process that recognises that getting lost happens.

Guess why they say you will only be banned if you are found to "regularly" trespass.

"group of selfish mountain bikers that are continuously trespassing on private property, riding illegally whenever and wherever they wish"

“These riders, known as rogue riders, also ride illegally on public MTB trails without bike permits, refusing to pay a small daily or annual fee."

What I mean is are those riders just randomly entering other people's property, like farm roads, etc. or are they following trails that have been built for the purpose of mountain biking but only for specific events?

There is currently a dispute between the organisers of the Freedom Challenge and landowners in the Gamkaskloof/Hel area in the Swartberg Mountains.

How does this get resolved if both parties believe they have rights in the matter?

What I mean is are those riders just randomly entering other people's property, like farm roads, etc. or are they following trails that have been built for the purpose of mountain biking but only for specific events?

Both

Although currently one of the fastest growing recreational sport categories in South Africa, the sport of mountain biking (MTB) is being threatened by the emerging negative trend of rogue riding.

Click here to view the article

thought mountain biking started as rogue riders, cutting paths in municipal Forrest... if it wasnt for the rogues, pressure wouldnt have been there to create the routes. :whistling:

Come catch me,lol