Mountain bike community launches anti-rogue riding campaign

News bot

I fully support this initiative.

The past two weekends I spotted rogue riders on the Bottelary Hills trail, the one dude was on a pretty expensive Lefty. I ride a R6k bike and I can afford a year pass of R450, why can't people with R24k bikes do the same?

Such posers!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be able to ride in a safe environment on a privately owned piece of land is a privilege and those that abuse that privilege are the lowest form of life. These trails do not maintain themselves. Pay the small entrance fee,if not then buy a road bike and go play chicken with the taxis.

I despise rogue riders and I will support ANY measure to punish them.

That said, I don't think this initiative in isolation will be particularly effective unless it's combined with better "policing" of trails.

Rogue riders aren't idiots and it's not as if they are going to volunteer their identities to everyone that attempts to confront them.

I will get excited by this when I see the identity of the first banned rider on the Amarider website.

There is currently a dispute between the organisers of the Freedom Challenge and landowners in the Gamkaskloof/Hel area in the Swartberg Mountains.

How does this get resolved if both parties believe they have rights in the matter?

This is such a common occurrence, and is only getting worse. We have a massive conundrum here on the North Coast and it's not going to end well. All we want to do is ride. We pay our annual fees, we buy our permits, we have fantastic trails.....we just want to ride!!!!

This is such a common occurrence, and is only getting worse. We have a massive conundrum here on the North Coast and it's not going to end well. All we want to do is ride. We pay our annual fees, we buy our permits, we have fantastic trails.....we just want to ride!!!!

There definitely seems to be a gap or a need for an organisation that can help in dealing with this things without them escalating into unpleasant situations and nasty legal battles.

its about the willingness to police these issues as well. On a recent ride at Tokai, I witnessed the ranger on duty "wave" some non paying riders through, this after my buddy had paid.

I would fully support an initiative to stop "rogue" riding. Disregard for private property is unacceptable. Regrettably there are also situations where public roads and rights of way are closed by landowners.

Cape Town has about 15000 Mtb mountain users. R450 an annual permit. Thats 6.75 million a year. Made off something that doesn't have an operating cost. This sounds and looks worst than a pyramid scheme. SA parks and forestry bylaw about trespassing. If there is no harmful intent most than can be done by the authority is to ask you to leave.

what part of that do you need assistance with?

think Activity card and night rides

haha in true hub old tradition shoot from the hip, don't think he'll be back to explain himself, lol!!

Cape Town has about 15000 Mtb mountain users. R450 an annual permit. Thats 6.75 million a year. Made off something that doesn't have an operating cost. This sounds and looks worst than a pyramid scheme. SA parks and forestry bylaw about trespassing. If there is no harmful intent most than can be done by the authority is to ask you to leave.

Erm, SANPARKS have Huuuuge operating costs. The permit charge foes directly to their coffers, which are distributed according to their budget allocations. Don't for one second think that all the work they do countrywide is out of the goodness of their hearts and is provided free of charge by numerous suppliers and workers.

mountain bikers are soft targets, hikers should pay just as much to use the mountain in that case....

I have an interesting spin to this - we have a new trail that has opened in the Tygerberg hills. It is clearly marked as a members only section yet there are lots of names on the strava segment for this trail who are not club members (have compared to latest club database). I know that legally there isn't much I can do but I'd love to give these guys the bad publicity they deserve. What say you hubbers?

I have an interesting spin to this - we have a new trail that has opened in the Tygerberg hills. It is clearly marked as a members only section yet there are lots of names on the strava segment for this trail who are not club members (have compared to latest club database). I know that legally there isn't much I can do but I'd love to give these guys the bad publicity they deserve. What say you hubbers?

There's an existing agreement re banning and restriction of access. Make use of it.