Majik Forest Access

Rapunzel

Some of the Majik forest access gates are due to be closed which will have a severe impact on us mountain bikers, making our usual loop up through the vineyards and down through the singletrack impossible.

Please will you send letters of objection to durparks@capetown.gov.za before 20 June 2014.

The mountain bike club will be liaising with the relevant authorities but the voices of all the people using the forest will be far louder.

MAJIK FOREST ACCESS CONTROL TYGERBURGER 201406.pdf

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Herewith my email to sent to durparks@capetown.gov.za

Good day,

could you plse reconsider the closure of Majik Forest in terms of the following:

1. Majik Forest is used by trail runners, hikers and mountain bikers who enter and exit at three main points: the gate at the bottom by Jip De Jager on the vineyard side, the gate behind Spar and the gate at the top by the electrical station.

2. By closing these gates and only leaving the gate at the Spar open, renders the trails useless to runners and mountain bikers as there is no proper connection to the trails from there.

3. By leaving the gate open behind Spar all day, is completely pointless in terms of security. This is where the criminals enter in any event. Effectively you are cutting off access for runners and riders, and still allowing access for criminals - this makes no sense at all.

SUGGESTION: For proper security purposes, suggest you keep all gates locked at all times and have a tag access system in place at the main gates as mentioned under point 1. I am sure I speak for many others but for me as a very frequent user of the Majik Forest trails, I am happy to pay for a tag.

Could you plse consider the above.

thks/brgds

Jacques

Herewith my email to sent to durparks@capetown.gov.za

Good day,

could you plse reconsider the closure of Majik Forest in terms of the following:

1. Majik Forest is used by trail runners, hikers and mountain bikers who enter and exit at three main points: the gate at the bottom by Jip De Jager on the vineyard side, the gate behind Spar and the gate at the top by the electrical station.

2. By closing these gates and only leaving the gate at the Spar open, renders the trails useless to runners and mountain bikers as there is no proper connection to the trails from there.

3. By leaving the gate open behind Spar all day, is completely pointless in terms of security. This is where the criminals enter in any event. Effectively you are cutting off access for runners and riders, and still allowing access for criminals - this makes no sense at all.

SUGGESTION: For proper security purposes, suggest you keep all gates locked at all times and have a tag access system in place at the main gates as mentioned under point 1. I am sure I speak for many others but for me as a very frequent user of the Majik Forest trails, I am happy to pay for a tag.

Could you plse consider the above.

thks/brgds

Jacques

Will second your email to them, thanks!

Yes it is still open MTB_Roadie. The closure of all but 3 of the gates is currently in the public participation phase hence the request for people to send their letters.

The proposed plan will leave the exit at the bottom of the forest singletrack closed as well as the large gates at the top of the vineyards closed. We cannot exit the forest on the Vink's Garden side of the river as this is a pedestrian only area.

Yes it is still open MTB_Roadie. The closure of all but 3 of the gates is currently in the public participation phase hence the request for people to send their letters.

The proposed plan will leave the exit at the bottom of the forest singletrack closed as well as the large gates at the top of the vineyards closed. We cannot exit the forest on the Vink's Garden side of the river as this is a pedestrian only area.

So: Cyclist would only be able to use two of the three gates?

Will I be able to ride Majik forest this weekend?

Hope so, planning to head there after work today.

Tag access system will cut me out from using the trails - NOT on!

Majik Forest is not safe - they are going to close it. a tag system will be the only way we could get access.

Majik Forest is not safe - they are going to close it. a tag system will be the only way we could get access.

How is it not safe?